Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest ACB07

SPIRONOLACTONE - Breaking out badly in week 4

Guest ACB07

Hi,
I have been on Spironolactone 100mg for 4 full weeks now, and this past week have experienced one of the worst breakouts of my life. I have cysts everywhere and my face is aching. It seems as though the breakouts are moving down my face - starting with a breakout all over my forehead (which is unusual for me) but has now cleared, then breakouts around my nose and on my upper lip, and now finally some nasty cysts on my chin, jaw line, and cheeks. 

Is it normal to have such an aggressive initial breakout? I have read that weeks 4-6 on Spiro are the worst, but my endocrinologist said people don't usually breakout as severe as I am. Is this medication not right for me? I know my acne is hormonal - I have PCOS and have had consistent breakouts since I was 12. 

Please help me!!!! I need reassurance to stick with the medication or advice on whether or not I should lower my dose to 50mg or 75mg. If you have experienced anything similar to this PLEASE let me know - I need all the information I can get.

Thank you. 

i would stick with the spiro it takes a good while to kick in i think at least 3-6 months. what you can do now though is ask to be put on a good antibiotic to help clear up the acne you have. i was on keflex and it cleared me right up and then i stayed on that for a while after before i stopped. i am 4 1/2 years into spiro now and still clear so its worth it. spiro was the only thing that kept the cysts away for me. good luck and get on that antibiotic stat!

Yep mine was at its worst for about 2-3 months. Stick with it! Its been 5 months for me and im just finally seeing results

I've been on spiro almost two years.  It took well over a year for me to get some consistent clearing of my skin so keep going.  Keep in my mind i still break out from time to time but it is nowhere near as bad as it was (currenly dealing with a breakout currently).  I would give it 6 month to a year before deciding if its for you.  

hang in there.. I had the worst break out at week 4 and then it started clearing.  Best results 6 months in.  Be patient!

I'm going through the same thing.  I'm at week 3 and I feel like it's getting worse.  It was mainly jaw and chin area and is rising toward my cheeks. I'm so depressed.  But seeing encouragement to keep with it, helps. I have already done antibiotics and accutane, but was told accutane at age over 30 is less likely to work, so here I am.  I'm only at 50 mg but wish to increase to 100 mg and also plan to take the oral antibiotics as well.  Right now I'm caking on the makeup and skin cleansing/moisturizing routine.  Wish u well.

Guest ACB07

Thank all of you for your advice! Your comments helped me immensely and I was able to see a light at the end of a very long tunnel. After 9 months on spiro and 5 months on mino, I’m happy to report that I’m 100% clear for the first time, ever! My family and friends are blown away with my complexion, and honestly I am too. I’m going to continue with my regimen but hopefully wean off minocycline eventually. I wish you all the best and dont hesitate to message me directly if you have any questions. :)