Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JoyRye

Folliculitis WONT go away!! 10 years!!

I've had this almost 10 years, started with a few bumps on my shoulders that was misdiagnosed as scabies. Dermatologists keep prescribing antibiotics (topical) because I don't want to take oral. They tell me it's folliculitis but never check to see if it's bacterial or fungal. I've changed my diet, probably bought out a whole CVS in the past decade, used sulfur, used Nizoral, hibiclens, BP, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, sea salt scrubs....nothing brings relief ...changed what I use to wash my sheets...everything. And every year it gets worse. I've even been allergy tested. Anyone who might have gone through this- what the heck works???

IMG_8194.JPG

/topic/348100-white-pus-zits-around-mouth-and-chin-help-help/?page=4&do=embed&comment=3566052&embedComment=3566052&embedDo=findComment#comment-3566052">

Check this link. Try using e45 shampoo. It has worked for some since it contains climbazole which kills the yeast that causes folliculitis if it is fungal. People have reported success with it. You'll have to order it through ebay though. Antibiotics only make the situation worse in the long run.

Request a biopsy. I've had folliculitus for 8 months keeps spreading even to face. Sulfur has helped some. Unfortunately my biopsy only showed inflammation but  8 months ago showed fungal so I still think it's that. Let us know how you are and if anything works! I know it's awful and exhausting trying everything to make it go away!

Did you ever find a cure for this? I have something very similar I’ve had it for 8 months now.. steroid cream cleared it 80% but came back as soon as I stopped using it has anything helped??

Hey there no unfortunately I'm still battling. This stuff wont let up! My face is extremely red and inflamed almost like rosacea but it' inflammation, folliculitis and red irritation. Even my hands and upper arms became effected. I go to the derm again Friday for my first face biopsy. I'l update with news or treatments then. I know how awful this is and 8 months sucks....I'm at the year mark!

I used a combo of sulfacetamide and Oleavine Tea Tree body soap (amazon) and this has cleared up I would say 90%...I’ll get a few bumps here and there but they’re barely noticeable. I told my derm that sulfur soap had helped a bit but I couldn’t handle the smell, so she ordered generic Klaron - it’s sulfur without the smell. I really never thought it would clear up, I’ve probably spent $1000+ on products in the past 10 years trying to clear it up.

It took about 3 months of using the soap 2x per day and then putting the sulfacetamide lotion (it’s more like a clear liquid “lotion”) on after. If you aren’t going to go to the dermatologist I would still try the Oleavine soap - my body could handle it but my face can’t. It smells like peppermint patties! And it does lather very well if you use a body pouf or even just rubbing it between your hands first. The spots you see below are stray bumps and leftover marks - I have very fair skin and it takes forever for marks to clear! But I can confidently wear V neck shirts now so I am more than happy with that! 

Here is the link to that soap on Amazon (I even left a review there too because my results with it were so impressive - to me at least, this stuff is a b*tch!)

https://www.amazon.com/TheraTree-Tea-Tree-Soap-Neem/dp/B010FHRA4G

737538D2-D80D-4D1C-A457-994EB0662309.thumb.jpeg.bbf6c9ae93d2aa76a0b58851f387eee6.jpeg

Wow! That's amazing so glad for you. I e recently started using Dr. Bronner tea tree soap but may give your body wash a go. My chest is pretty much under control by face is the flaring mess now. Like you....the things that work on my body my face cannot handle. My Derm prescribed sodium sulfectamide lotion but after 4 days my face was red swollen and stinging then peeled for a week and my bumps looked worse! Did you have any on your face and if so find anything your face would tolerate? Thanks!

On 4/29/2018 at 12:15 AM, Nicole_CA said:

Wow! That's amazing so glad for you. I e recently started using Dr. Bronner tea tree soap but may give your body wash a go. My chest is pretty much under control by face is the flaring mess now. Like you....the things that work on my body my face cannot handle. My Derm prescribed sodium sulfectamide lotion but after 4 days my face was red swollen and stinging then peeled for a week and my bumps looked worse! Did you have any on your face and if so find anything your face would tolerate? Thanks!

Ahh I’m sorry you had that reaction!! My face is a constant battle because I have combination skin and still have hormonal acne...My dermatologist told me I’m “plugged up” and my pores will “never dry out” because of my oil production (but I’m not giving up on that because I never thought my chest would clear up, and it did) ...not sure what your budget is like, but when I use this in the morning I notice a pretty good reduction in oil throughout the day, and I think it helped keep some bumps on the smaller side/heal faster: https://www.dermstore.com/product_Cleanance+Expert_63679.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzOmWrrXl2gIVTFuGCh3OggWiEAQYAiABEgKC9PD_BwE&scid=scplp63679&sc_intid=63679&utm_source=fro&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_term=skin+care&utm_campaign=500107

Also, I’ve used dr. Bronner’s in the past, it wasn’t bad but I don’t think it worked well enough for my skin for me to want to buy it again (i actually think i remember it being a little too drying). The thing with any essential oils, though, is that they can make your skin sensitive to the sun- so just remember that, and maybe only use tea tree products at night if you are someone who is sensitive to the sun to begin with! 

I hope the best for you!! 

I'm currently having the same issue all over my chest/neck/shoulders, I'm 24 and have never experienced this before. Did you happen to be taking birth control while you were experiencing this? I'm considering it as a potential cause for mine.

On 7/15/2017 at 11:37 AM, JoyRye said:

I've had this almost 10 years, started with a few bumps on my shoulders that was misdiagnosed as scabies. Dermatologists keep prescribing antibiotics (topical) because I don't want to take oral. They tell me it's folliculitis but never check to see if it's bacterial or fungal. I've changed my diet, probably bought out a whole CVS in the past decade, used sulfur, used Nizoral, hibiclens, BP, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, sea salt scrubs....nothing brings relief ...changed what I use to wash my sheets...everything. And every year it gets worse. I've even been allergy tested. Anyone who might have gone through this- what the heck works???

1 hour ago, sabah786 said:

I'm currently having the same issue all over my chest/neck/shoulders, I'm 24 and have never experienced this before. Did you happen to be taking birth control while you were experiencing this? I'm considering it as a potential cause for mine.

My suggestion would be to try AmLactin or something similar with lactic acid. Also consider using Glytone: https://www.amazon.com/GLYTONE-Exfoliating-Body-Wash-6-7/dp/B002D48QRA/ref=sr_1_6 or https://www.amazon.com/Glytone-Exfoliating-Glycolic-Keratosis-Fragrance-Free/dp/B002D48QRK/ref=sr_1_8.

I had Keratosis Pilaris and it truly sucked. KP is not exactly what you have but maybe it could be similar enough so that these products could work for you. AmLactin is a cheap try but Glyton is pricier. It was one or both of these that helped get rid of my KP under my arms - or something magical happened. I'll tell you though... those dreadful six months were tough, especially when going to the gym. 

I'm not a doctor but I think these products are affordable to experiment with and pose little risk. Just a suggestion!

Folliculitis can have 3 different causes:  bacteria, fungus or microscopic demodex skin mites.   The treatment for each type is completely different.  Its important to get it diagnosed.  A knowledgeable dermatologist can and will run tests to determine the cause.  Regrettably many old school dermatologists just do visual exams.  Before making an appointment make sure the dermatologists will do tests.  If they don't do tests, keep looking until you find one that does.

Body acne/folliculitis is common with microscopic demodex skin mites.  Demodex skin mites eat skin oil.  Everybody over the age of 5 gets these.  They aren't a problem unless they get overpopulated and overwhelm your immune system's  ability to keep their population under control.  When your immune system is low they can get overpopulated.  They mate at night moving from pore to pore.  They can cause body and scalp issues as well as facial issues.  NOTE:  If demodex is the cause its very important to use clean towels daily.  The mites can live on a wet towel for up to 54 hours.  Ordinary washing and drying in automatic laundry equipment at 58 degrees C. will kill them.

Treatment for the bacterial type would include the usual antibiotics, benzoyl peroxide, etc.

Treatment for the fungal type may include topical treatments and/or oral treatment.  Aussie Scientist posts on this forum and is very knowledgeable about topical treatments for fungal acne/folliculitis.

Treatment for demodex includes several topical treatments and one highly effective, inexpensive, generic 2 week oral treatment.  

2 week oral treatment was documented in a proper medical study of 120 patients.  The paper was published in the May 2013 International Journal of Infectious Diseases.  The paper "Evaluation of the efficacy of oral ivermectin in comparison with ivermectin–metronidazole combined therapy in the treatment of ocular and skin lesions of Demodex folliculorum" can be found at the link below.  Show it to your doctor if necessary.  The treatment consists of Oral Ivermectin + Oral Metronidazole.   You take two once a week doses of Oral Ivermectin (dose based on your weight)  + 3 times a day dose of Oral Metronidazole over the 2 week period.    Limitation is no alcohol during the treatment or for 3 days after the last Oral Metronidazole tablet.  It worked for me after decades of being misdiagnosed with bacterial acne.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S120197121201315X

Topical options for milder cases include the expensive prescription  Soolantra cream (1% Ivermectin) or the cheaper non-prescription Horse Paste (1.87% Ivermectin) available on Amazon at about $5 per tube.  Treatment with topicals takes about 16 weeks.

For body acne/folliculitis the following bath soak can help.  Borax is anti-microbial and will kill demodex.  The Borax soak has also been recommended by OB/GYN doctors for 30+ years as a to treat yeast infections.

For a standard 5 foot bath tub:

1. Fill tub with pleasantly warm water. If the water is too hot, you may pass out or get over heated. Its not the heat its the borax that will kill the mites.

2. Add 1 cup of 20 Mule Team Borax (available at Kroger for about $3).

3. Add 1 cup of Dr. Teal's Epsom Salts with Moisturizing Avocado Oil (about $5 at Kroger) . This ingredient will make your skin moist but the borax is more important.

4. Swirl the water in the tub and break up any lumps in the borax so that it dissolves.

5. Get in tub, use the water to shampoo your hair and scalp too. Borax is a good and simple DIY shampoo. It is also a good water softener.

6. Soak in tub for 30 minutes.

Another option is the Boric Acid Mask made of Boric Acid Powder and a few drops of glycerin.  Boric Acid Powder is a different chemical form of the Boron found in the 20 Muleteam Borax Powder.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfVGV9aIS0Y

Tea tree oil face wash and Tea Tree oil shampoo can also be helpful.  Tea Tree oil is anti-microbial and is effective against demodex.