Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi! I've noticed that when I sleep on a clean pillowcase my breakouts are less severe. Have you tested this too? I'm considering buying a bunch of pillowcases to change nightly to help with my acne. 

Hey :)

Yes, I tested this with the towel method, and had a pretty dramatic change. Weird that I didn't think of it earlier! Now I use a deja pillowcase— makes it a lot easier to remember and also makes for less laundry. 

I also found it helps to tuck the sheets under my arms, rather than up to my chin— these were causing some breakouts on my chin as well.

Our skin is host to hundreds of bacteria; P.acne, Staph, MRSA, etc. The human skin is resilient and unless the skin is cut, bruised, etc. these bacterias are kept at bay.  Fabric however is host which some Bacteria can double every 20 minutes.  This includes our clothing, shoes, hats, etc.  The human sweat is odorless (bacteria free), but once in contact with bacteria,  act as fuel (Heat and Moisture fuel bacteria growth).  During sleep the body naturally heats up, we sweat tremendous amount onto our pillowcase, mattress, which is why avg mattress weighs 10 LB more two years after day of purchase.  It becomes an echo system for bacteria and bed-mites which feed on it, disgusting I know;)

Although thier is no clear identifying cause of ACNE, Diet and Pillowcase do play a major role for reasons listed above.  

So how do we solve this problem of bacteria growing on our brand new pillowcase each and every night? how do you deal with some bacteria doubling every 20 minutes when you sleep for avg 8 hrs with heated face, open pours, and sweat and moisture to feed? you make fabric which kills bacteria on contact (on the fabric) 

Few things in nature which are naturally antimicrobial; Cork (Birkenstock shoes), Dirt, Honey, Vinegar, SILVER amongst few.  Few years ago I went on search to find Antimicrobial fabric which I can purchase and came across few options which claimed to use Silver on the fabric to kill bacteria (odor causing).  I purchased shirts from Lululemon claiming to be odorless (with silver), and few others using DOW Chemical technology.  found out they coat fibers with silver which is supposed to kill bacteria.  The only problem was ALL these companies Silver washes out after 5-10 home washeswhich rendered the fabric useless.  Silver is harmless to humans, use of silver as antimicrobial goes back thousands of years where it was even consumed for stomach issues.  It turned out the only way this can work was to find a way to infuse SILVER without it ever washing out.  Born was Kleen fabrics with published study in "American Journal of Infectious diseases".  Not only did our fabric kill ALL bacteria which came in contact with it (on the fabric) but our fabric was put through 100 INDUSTRIAL washes with 99.99% Silver intact.  We now have made clothing and bedding which we sell to hospitals, fitness junkies (odorless even after sweating in it), and ACNE fighting pillowcases.  Two weeks ago, while at American Association of Dermatologist conference, we presented our science to all attendees and happy to say our science speaks for itself.  I would invite you to ask your dermatologist about our science and or try our pillowcases for yourself.  Thanks for reading this and Im happy to answer any questions you may have regarding our science, study, products.   email; [censored] 

Edited by Control Panel
Removed email address: Advertising

On 3/5/2018 at 10:56 AM, Silavana said:

Bamboo is antimicrobial, maybe pillowcases made of bamboo viscose would help.

So far no one has been able to successfully blend Bamboo with Cotton or synthetic fabrics where it does not bleed out over washes.  The issue has been the lack of softness and or washing out of bamboo with every wash.  Wool thus far has been the only source of antimicrobial fabric and a company named; Softwool has been playing around with apparel but not soft enough for pillowcases, yet

Yes, I've found changing my pillow case every 2 days (I flip it over every other night) has definitely helped my skin :)