Notifications
Clear all

Help! 200 mg minocycline/50 mg spironolactone/0.5 tretinoin

MemberMember
(@laluna808)

Posted : 07/09/2017 12:56 am

Hello,

I'm a 26 yr old female with mostly closed comodone acne and large red angry white heads. In march of 2017 my acne came back so I decided to do professional facials with extractions which caused a huge purge. It's been since the beginning of may since I got a facial (so around 2.5 months).

For about 3.5 weeks I've been taking 50 mg of doxycycline and 50 mg of spironolactone. My acne has gotten increasingly worse so my dermatologist wants me to be on 50mg of spironactone, 200 mg of minocycline, and 0.5mg of tretinoin. My diet, skin regemine, exercise routine is really good.

I know it's different for everyone but I'm wondering if what's happening to my face is normal? Could this be an initial purge or breakout? I'm not comfortable with taking all these medications but I'm atmy wits end. I can't look in the mirror anymore and the dermatologist suggested taking accutane in a month if things don't improve which really scares me.

MemberMember
(@ahaguru)

Posted : 07/09/2017 11:30 am

forclear skin from accutane, are you ready to receive in return hypothyroidism, gallbladder disorder, Crohn's disease or cirrhosis of the liver???
really think about it!

Eating raw fruits and veggies cures any skin issues, is that simple!
try healing liver, by taking tinctures of milk thistle, dandelion, and burdock
take 30 before every meal

MemberMember
(@user613823)

Posted : 07/12/2017 8:03 pm

I'm on a similar regimen as you at the moment. I started having moderate acne (non-cystic, mostly just blackheads and comedones) on my forehead when I was about 12 (6th grade). I became more accepting of them over the years and weren't such a terrible bother. At 14 my mom took me in to start going on birth control because she thought I had some sort of Pre-menstrual mood swings. I started on Yaz and had great skin for a long time. Eventually I went off yaz for whatever reasons I do not precisely remember.. my acne came back with a fucking vengeance except this time it was 4 times worse and exhibited itself in the form of giant painful cysts. Went to the derm, tried some topicals that were shit, though now looking back its possible I didn't give them enough time to work or were ineffective at applying them. Fuck it. I came back with horrific acne. Bad, bad, bad. Multiple cysts. I remember the day I went in, wearing a hat with a large scarf around my whole head because I was so humiliated. I was so fed up at this point, I must've been 17 or 18. I demanded that the derm at the time take a look at my printed information (info about spironolactone being helpful for hormonal (cystic acne). She agreed to give it a run, and gave me a script. I started on 100 mg once per day, and was on this for perhaps 2-3 months until i realized it was not doing much. I did more extensive research and found spiro is more effective split up and taken at 2 doses daily. I started that regimen (50 in the morning, 50 in the evening) and within a couple weeks to a month started to see rapid improvement. Exactly one year ago from now, I stopped taking the Spiro because the side effects like having to pee often and being so thirsty all the time really annoyed me, and also I thought it was making me fat (that was actually my antidepressant- lol) I didn't start seeing the acne come back until about February or March of this spring, so I thought I was forever cured. Though it had came back, it wasn't as bad as it had been before I started spiro. Used to the perfect flawless skin I was, I freaked out and went to straight to the derm. I am now on tretinoin 0.1(started 4 weeks ago) a smaller self-tailored dose of Spiro (2x25 mgs per day when I remember- started 6-7 weeks ago) and benzaclin. Have seen remote improvement just to have my face wrecked all over again. It takes time. Stick with the Spiro.

MemberMember
(@laluna808)

Posted : 07/15/2017 2:43 am

Cool thanks for the reply! I've been on the spiro for about a month and my face is the worst it's been ever. Like really bad and big and red. Is it normal for it to get worse before it gets better? Is this just an initial breakout? I'm getting hopeless and worried. Don't know how much longer to wait It it.

thank you for responding!

MemberMember
(@maisie89)

Posted : 07/19/2017 10:05 am

On 7/9/2017 at 6:56 AM, LaLuna808 said:

Hello,

I'm a 26 yr old female with mostly closed comodone acne and large red angry white heads. In march of 2017 my acne came back so I decided to do professional facials with extractions which caused a huge purge. It's been since the beginning of may since I got a facial (so around 2.5 months).

For about 3.5 weeks I've been taking 50 mg of doxycycline and 50 mg of spironolactone. My acne has gotten increasingly worse so my dermatologist wants me to be on 50mg of spironactone, 200 mg of minocycline, and 0.5mg of tretinoin. My diet, skin regemine, exercise routine is really good.

I know it's different for everyone but I'm wondering if what's happening to my face is normal? Could this be an initial purge or breakout? I'm not comfortable with taking all these medications but I'm atmy wits end. I can't look in the mirror anymore and the dermatologist suggested taking accutane in a month if things don't improve which really scares me.

Hi there, You definitely need to give the spiro more time. I took it last year for 10 months and it wasn't until month 6 or 7 that I noticed the most improvement.. It takes a really long time to kick in, some people even say it took them a year for it to see results. Also 50mg is quiet a low dose so if you still feel in 2 or 3 months that your not seeing results quick enough, I would try go to 75mg or 100mg:)

MemberMember
(@rapharapha)

Posted : 07/23/2017 3:21 pm

How are you doing? Have you started Minocycline?