Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

13 hours ago, Feelishia said:
I know, it was a mistake! I was trying to solve the bumps on my forehead. I never reacted to these things before. I'm sure my rash/bumps will clear up with some time. I don't think something else caused me to react. Now the problems are the texture and scars and random lines. Let's see what the derm says tomorrow, but I'm not too optimistic. If there was seriously a way to fix all that then oh man, I'd be able to live again!
yeah, hope it gets better, do keep this post updated.

12 hours ago, eternalrocket said:
On 7/26/2017 at 11:59 AM, Feelishia said:

yeah, hope it gets better, do keep this post updated.
Well just got back from the dermatologist. Yeah, she couldn't give any advice for what to do besides giving it all time. Couldn't really give an explanation for the lines either, besides just "normal skin changes". I understand, but still. Wish I could fast forward to 6 months from now :/

9 hours ago, Feelishia said:
Well just got back from the dermatologist. Yeah, she couldn't give any advice for what to do besides giving it all time. Couldn't really give an explanation for the lines either, besides just "normal skin changes". I understand, but still. Wish I could fast forward to 6 months from now :/
Guess you just have to wait then..but... MY EYEBROWS ARE FALLING OFF!!. now this is bad last few days I noticed that whenever I even do a very gentle pick at my eyebrows, there is 1-2 strand of hair on my fingers, I'm so scared.

7 hours ago, eternalrocket said:
17 hours ago, Feelishia said:

Guess you just have to wait then..but... MY EYEBROWS ARE FALLING OFF!!. now this is bad last few days I noticed that whenever I even do a very gentle pick at my eyebrows, there is 1-2 strand of hair on my fingers, I'm so scared.
Dang, I lose parts of my eyebrows too while on Accutane, but I don't know if there was a connection. It could've been from the spironolactone. Didn't grow back though... 
Is it noticeable when you look at yourself in the mirror?

Ugh just got up and I have a rash above and on the sides of my mouth again. Can't tell if it was flaky from skin or if it was leftover of the new cream I put on last night. I can't tell if this is from my new lip balms, new toothpaste due to mine being discontinued, the new CeraVe AM, or a continued reaction the toner or exfoliant I used last week. Edited by Feelishia

2 hours ago, Feelishia said:
Dang, I lose parts of my eyebrows too while on Accutane, but I don't know if there was a connection. It could've been from the spironolactone. Didn't grow back though... 
Is it noticeable when you look at yourself in the mirror?

Ugh just got up and I have a rash above and on the sides of my mouth again. Can't tell if it was flaky from skin or if it was leftover of the new cream I put on last night. I can't tell if this is from my new lip balms, new toothpaste due to mine being discontinued, the new CeraVe AM, or a continued reaction the toner or exfoliant I used last week.
they started falling off just today and I didn't pick many so its not really noticeable right now and I'm not gonna pick or itch there until I ask my derm about it, but apart from that some strands of hair also fell off my beard below my lower lips and chin too.

the rash must be because of the exfoliant, your skin is still sensitive and the healing process is still not back to normal, so it must be taking longer than usual for skin to get back to normal, whenever I have any issue like that what I do is at night after washing my face, I apply cetaphil dam lotion(its super thick, meant for very dry skin and it doesn't break me out) and then apply a layer of Vaseline petroleum jelly on it and go to sleep, the problem is mostly solved by the morning and the flakiness/irritation doesn't come back and if it does, do it for 2 nghts, it will be gone for sure.

1 hour ago, eternalrocket said:
they started falling off just today and I didn't pick many so its not really noticeable right now and I'm not gonna pick or itch there until I ask my derm about it, but apart from that some strands of hair also fell off my beard below my lower lips and chin too.

the rash must be because of the exfoliant, your skin is still sensitive and the healing process is still not back to normal, so it must be taking longer than usual for skin to get back to normal, whenever I have any issue like that what I do is at night after washing my face, I apply cetaphil dam lotion(its super thick, meant for very dry skin and it doesn't break me out) and then apply a layer of Vaseline petroleum jelly on it and go to sleep, the problem is mostly solved by the morning and the flakiness/irritation doesn't come back and if it does, do it for 2 nghts, it will be gone for sure.
Hopefully it's just normal hair loss and doesn't persist!

Well I think the culprit is the CeraVe AM I tested and continued to use the night before the rash started. Returning that and just gonna use the CeraVe PM. The lips are less bumpy but I was waking up with red blotches around my mouth area and around. If it doesn't resolve from stopping the CeraVe AM, I will move on to other possibilities.

53 minutes ago, Feelishia said:
Hopefully it's just normal hair loss and doesn't persist!

Well I think the culprit is the CeraVe AM I tested and continued to use the night before the rash started. Returning that and just gonna use the CeraVe PM. The lips are less bumpy but I was waking up with red blotches around my mouth area and around. If it doesn't resolve from stopping the CeraVe AM, I will move on to other possibilities.
hmm, good luck with that

I am doing fine, hyperpigmentation is slowly fading, went to get a haircut today (its always the worst day for someone with bad skin),and my scars, oh god, and there is still atleast 3 months from now before I can get anything done for them, I wish I could get some treatment sooner, its soo difficult. but anyway, no improvement in your random lines?

You know you have to wait at least 6 months after Accutane to work on your scars, right? Unless maybe you're just getting fillers? Your dermatologist is not doing it right.

No, still got lines and scars. A few days ago I got a whitehead on my nose that I had to "pop" in the morning and there's still an indent from my fingernail pressing into my nose. Nothing noticeable but still, hope that goes away.

Just an update: I was prescribed a topical steroid alongside Accutane to help with my lips. I used it during my course and after as well. At one point I had to use it on the skin on the sides of my mouth because I got angular cheilitis. Now, I have what I assume to be stretch marks/striae on the left side of my mouth and on my chin for some reason. They're grey in color, and the side of my lip always feels cold or wet. I can only assume this is from the steroid. I'm at such a loss.

Here's the prescription info: Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment USP, 0.025%, Instructions: Apply externally to lips twice daily as needed for 2 weeks, take at least a one week break, repeat.

Update: Nurse called back and said that since the steroid was so weak and not used for too long that it couldn't have been the cause, and that it's just my skin reacting to the Accutane. Seems odd that it happened right where I used the steroid though, so I'm skeptical.

Edited by Feelishia

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:47 PM, Feelishia said:

Another update: Woke up with my entire forehead covered in bumps again. :(

sorry to hear that, its all so weird, it just feels like I have wasted 7 months on this medication, I mean yes, it worked but I still have bumps on my nose and a few on my forehead too, nothing too bad but still, and its been 1 month post Accutane and the bad PIH still not fading despite using adapalene gel and the deep scars to top it all off. I am just trying to live with this for now, trying to focus on my classes and studies, maybe someday it will get better, 5 years is a long time dealing with all this. anyway, any suggestions on how to remove my very waterproof sunscreen? I have heard of using some oil, I have tried pure almond oil but my cleanser is so mild that I think it doesn't take off the oil, and maybe I am wrong but almond oil is causing me to breakout. any suggestion would be really helpful. thank you.

I don't know, what do you cleanse with?

Yeah I've had dry mouth for over a year now (had it before Accutane), and my lips are so insanely shriveled and then I have whatever is going on with the side of my lips on my skin. Physically I can't handle it anymore. I feel like I'm going to die from dehydration 24/7 for OVER A YEAR NOW. I need things to get better, ugh. I just started a new job today but I was so physically uncomfortable. Don't know how I can work until I get better, but there's no knowing when or if that'll happen :(

Edited by Feelishia

4 hours ago, Feelishia said:

I don't know, what do you cleanse with?

Yeah I've had dry mouth for over a year now (had it before Accutane), and my lips are so insanely shriveled and then I have whatever is going on with the side of my lips on my skin. Physically I can't handle it anymore. I feel like I'm going to die from dehydration 24/7 for OVER A YEAR NOW. I need things to get better, ugh. I just started a new job today but I was so physically uncomfortable. Don't know how I can work until I get better, but there's no knowing when or if that'll happen :(

I use a cleanser very similar to cetaphil, I don't understand why you still feel dehydrated, I mean, for me, over this month, the dryness is going away very quickly maybe because I live in a super humid place. so I went to a different derm today for the PIH and other things overall, asked about the bumps and blackheads, she said that I don't need isotretinoin anymore and this should settle down. she also gave me some topicals with kojic acid and glycolic acid along with antioxidant capsules, so I guess taking supplements is fine. lets se how this month goes. oh and you stopped using the steroid?

I picked up another prescription for the steroid last night. Now I have those tiny bumps on my lips again (sandpaper lips). I don't know what's causing the tiny bumps on my forehead but my lips I'm guessing I'm having a reaction to something in sunscreen. When I tried CeraVe AM, the next day I got the sandpaper lips and started getting rashes on my face. So I stopped that. Now I tried Vanicream Sport SPF 35 on Thursday, and it's two applications later and I have sandpaper lips again and getting kinda rashy. So that's my best guess! My forehead though... Not sure. I can't tell if it's a rash (they're not really pimples) or if it's clogged pores. That would help narrow it down.

Using chemical exfoliants so soon after Accutane seems harsh, I'm surprised you were given some. Trust me, I want to try some mild chemical exfoliants to try to smooth my skin out, but I know I can't for 5 more months. Be careful.

Edited by Feelishia

11 hours ago, Feelishia said:

I picked up another prescription for the steroid last night. Now I have those tiny bumps on my lips again (sandpaper lips). I don't know what's causing the tiny bumps on my forehead but my lips I'm guessing I'm having a reaction to something in sunscreen. When I tried CeraVe AM, the next day I got the sandpaper lips and started getting rashes on my face. So I stopped that. Now I tried Vanicream Sport SPF 35 on Thursday, and it's two applications later and I have sandpaper lips again and getting kinda rashy. So that's my best guess! My forehead though... Not sure. I can't tell if it's a rash (they're not really pimples) or if it's clogged pores. That would help narrow it down.

Using chemical exfoliants so soon after Accutane seems harsh, I'm surprised you were given some. Trust me, I want to try some mild chemical exfoliants to try to smooth my skin out, but I know I can't for 5 more months. Be careful.

yes, I am being careful, though the concentration of the glycolic acid and kojic acid is not too high.  my derm said that there will be improvement within 3 weeks which I doubt because I wont use it as frequenrly as she told, but lets see.

I never applied sunscreen on my bare lips, it always caused me uncomfort, so before applying my sunscreen I always use a thick layer of Vaseline lip balm, and then apply sunscreen. so maybe you can do that if youre not already doing it.

So an entire rectangular section of my skin starting on the bridge of my nose to under my eye is indented and slightly shinier than the surrounding skin. I really think something else is going on, this is so not normal. With this pic you can see another one of my spontaneous indented scars and if you know what to look for you should be able to see the rectangular patch by my nose.Nr3oPi0.jpg

Hey guys , just a word on the ice pick or divots in the skin , I also am suffering slightly with this. Im no doctor , and here In Spain they can be pretty poor in really detailing the side affects. I noticed these small dents after a couple of weeks and like you guys have been alarmed. From some research from better sources and where logic prevails , I believe they could be due to the shrinking of the pore, and lack of collegen, generally accutane doing some quite serious damage to the skin. Sure it’s clearing the acne , but you have to weigh up wether it’s worth potentially having hyperpigmentation and ice pick scars for however long after , or being ‘potentially’ acne free, I know what I would choose.  I feel the power of the human body is strong and that they will return to normal once the drug is out the system, and I hope the same for you guys.

I made a decision to come off of accutane today as this was almost the final straw. I know people will encourage to stay with it, but mental depression and other side effects which could Be long term can not persuade me .I have suffered more mentally with what maybe isn’t even acne, but today I have realised I have to accept it and that my body has changed as I have got older. None of us will ever be perfect or have perfect skin , if you look close enough everyone has blemishes, yeah sometimes I wish I was a girl and could wear make up , but in honesty we are what we are. I wish everyone the best of luck with fighting spots/acne , mentally and physically, this is my final sign off! Take care everyone and lots of love to everyone! 

Reviving a super old thread, but are there any updates from anyone in this thread? I’ve been one of the more active members in the AMVC thread for a year or so now. I continue to have random pits and linear scars form.

I recently saw a few dermatologists overseas, and one who actually was willing to listen to my about random scarring suggested I do a retest of a positive ANA screening I had in some bloodwork from years ago; she also prescribed me a topical azelaic acid cream (I refused Differin or any vitamin A product due to the horror stories on this forum).