Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My forehead got a somewhat different texture to it after maybe 3 months on isotretinoin, nothing too major, and now indented lines keep appearing on my face. I'm not picking at my face, and don't have any acne. Anyone else had this with isotretinoin? What is this and can it be fixed? I've read plenty on tretinoin products like Retin-A causing this.

Edited by Feelishia

15 minutes ago, eternalrocket said:

Are you still on isotretinoin?

Just took my last pill last night. I got my first and most significant indented line around 4 months into my course, and then very recently I woke up with 2-3 more smaller indents. No trauma whatsoever. I've been reading posts on here and people have had similar experiences. Called my dermatologist and she brushed it off as usual.

Some scars do look worse while on accutane, as your skin is very fragile and super dry. Wait for a month for the side effects of this medication to go away and then if there's still no improvement in those lines then you can talk to your derm about it.

2 minutes ago, eternalrocket said:

Some scars do look worse while on accutane, as your skin is very fragile and super dry. Wait for a month for the side effects of this medication to go away and then if there's still no improvement in those lines then you can talk to your derm about it.

Yes that's what's keeping me going. Otherwise in 6+ months I'm gonna look into treatments. I'm most interested in microneedling but there's *always* the chance of things getting worse.

I also took my last pill a few days back, well i ended it 15 days early as I couldn't tolerate irritation, and I'll be starting retin a tonight as maintenance and my derm said that she'll tell me what to do with the scars after 3 months. Are you also using something for maintenance?

Just now, eternalrocket said:

I also took my last pill a few days back, well i ended it 15 days early as I couldn't tolerate irritation, and I'll be starting retin a tonight as maintenance and my derm said that she'll tell me what to do with the scars after 3 months. Are you also using something for maintenance?

No, we'll see how my skin holds up but by the time I started Accutane and through my whole 5 month course I never had any pimples at all so my experience is unlike most other people's. What kind of scars do you have?

I also had the same experience, after the first month, i rarely broke out, my problem was hyperpigmentation which kinda got worse while on accutane so hopefully now it will heal. I have ice pick scars as told by my derm but i also have some crater like scars left from chicken pox. Its a mess. I just can't wait to get something done for them

Hyperpigmentation does fade though. :) Don't feel too down about that. If it'll help I can send you a PM of my cheek at one point lol it has all since faded.

My main scar on my forehead is getting wider... I don't know if this is a good think or a bad thing... Also I accidentally messed up one of my brows, gonna be some loooong upcoming weeks lol

4 minutes ago, Feelishia said:

My main scar on my forehead is getting wider... I don't know if this is a good think or a bad thing... Also I accidentally messed up one of my brows, gonna be some loooong upcoming weeks lol

i read a post where beautifulambition said that the main aim with scar treatment is to widen the scar and raise the skin, so yours is probably healing.

4 minutes ago, eternalrocket said:
10 minutes ago, Feelishia said:

i read a post where beautifulambition said that the main aim with scar treatment is to widen the scar and raise the skin, so yours is probably healing.
We shall see...

Update: More random possible scarring. Indented line on my upper left cheek and a circular indent as well. My left cheek was the only spot left without scars but not anymore :(

3 hours ago, Feelishia said:

Update: More random possible scarring. Indented line on my upper left cheek and a circular indent as well. My left cheek was the only spot left without scars but not anymore :(

should probably call your derm now.

5 hours ago, eternalrocket said:
8 hours ago, Feelishia said:

should probably call your derm now.
I did before and she said she didn't believe that Accutane caused this. I mean, what could any dermatologist even do for this? Other people on here with this same problem never found any answers or solutions either.

Although I don't have the answers I can tell u accutane caused this 3 times for me and high doze vitamin a one time.....im just recovering from the 4th time. It's been 7 months and getting better. My skin healed every time. 

Won't touch accutane again. This time I took it for 2 weeks and it has destroyed my life for 7 months. My skin may never be good again but it's getting better! 

The first time it happened I did a full course and by the end every part of my face was scared. Little lines and indents everywhere. A year later my skin was beautiful.  

Took night dose vitamin  a 4 years later and same happened. Healed after a while and I  Convinced myself it wasn't accutane and stupidly did another course a year later.  Same happened. Took a few months and healed. My skin was amazing. Then November last year my breakouts started so I started low dose....within 2 weeks boom.....over night my face was destroyed. 

Derms say there's no way its aaccutane....but how can it not be.

There is hope.

Go easy on your skin and give it time. 

My skin in 2011 was horrendous....couldnt look in the mirror. People would stare at me. It got better. 

Message me if u need to

X

7 hours ago, livedtotellthetale said:

Although I don't have the answers I can tell u accutane caused this 3 times for me and high doze vitamin a one time.....im just recovering from the 4th time. It's been 7 months and getting better. My skin healed every time. 

Won't touch accutane again. This time I took it for 2 weeks and it has destroyed my life for 7 months. My skin may never be good again but it's getting better! 

The first time it happened I did a full course and by the end every part of my face was scared. Little lines and indents everywhere. A year later my skin was beautiful.  

Took night dose vitamin  a 4 years later and same happened. Healed after a while and I  Convinced myself it wasn't accutane and stupidly did another course a year later.  Same happened. Took a few months and healed. My skin was amazing. Then November last year my breakouts started so I started low dose....within 2 weeks boom.....over night my face was destroyed. 

Derms say there's no way its aaccutane....but how can it not be.

There is hope.

Go easy on your skin and give it time. 

My skin in 2011 was horrendous....couldnt look in the mirror. People would stare at me. It got better. 

Message me if u need to

X

I'm really glad to hear that! My skin is actually not bad at all and I never had bad acne. Plus the acne was gone in less than a year. So I don't see any more Accutane courses in my future. I would just find something else if my acne came back. 

Yes I don't see how it couldn't have been caused by Accutane. I'll have to be cautious about vitamin A in the future.

If you have before and after pictures could you privately message them to me? If not, no worries :)

Thank you!

I don't have pics because  they would have devastated me. I can only describe it as though my pores enlarged and joined...and vertical lines formed on my cheeks. My skin is better now than it was a few months ago. I'm hoping it will get better and better but it's lasted longer this time than it has before. The only other thought I had was mites. I read stories about mites leaving track marks. Just a theory though! 

Hey livedtotellthetale,
Thanks for sharing your story. I'm going through something very similar right now (orange peel texture, pores connecting to form shallow indents, cracks everywhere) after using a vitamin A cream (retin a) for 6 weeks. Can I ask what (if anything) you used on your skin to heal it the previous 3 times? Do you remember doing or using anything specifically? TIA :)

2 hours ago, livedtotellthetale said:

I don't have pics because  they would have devastated me. I can only describe it as though my pores enlarged and joined...and vertical lines formed on my cheeks. My skin is better now than it was a few months ago. I'm hoping it will get better and better but it's lasted longer this time than it has before. The only other thought I had was mites. I read stories about mites leaving track marks. Just a theory though! 

I'm glad it got better! No worries about the pics :) If I could capture my indents in pictures I would post them, but they just don't show up. It probably lasted longer because you've taken a lot of vitamin A. I'm sure each time it would take longer to recover. Best of luck :) 

Update: A long line starting from the side of my nose and extending to my cheek appeared out of nowhere. Wasn't there this morning and I just got home and bam. I don't even touch my face :/  Every time I think things are getting better -sigh-

No not at all. I use CeraVe for washing my face and as a moisturizer, as well as jojoba oil and shea butter. Been using those for well before I ever even had any acne or this problem. I'm now ~10 days post-Accutane. I really don't know what to do. I'm watching my skin permanently deteriorate and there's nothing I can do about it. So broken.

Edited by Feelishia

Best pics I could get but can you see the new line(s)? And now my forehead had a bunch of little bumps on it. Can't really see the scar on my forehead pic. Also yes, there is a big chunk out of my skin below my eye as you can see in the first pic. No idea when that happened or how. This is awful.

I feel physically sick now. My stomach has that sinking feeling. I don't know what to do. I have no hope. I have classes and other obligations and can't just hide. Not that it would even be an option, since this will last forever.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3569.PNG

IMG_3577.PNG

Edited by Feelishia