Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have this really wierd problem with mirrors - only because of my skin, but anyhow, I CANT STAND MIRRORS

I avoid looking into them whenever I possible can and only do it if I HAVE to!

Ill walk in the supermarket or a clothes store and see them on the pillar and just walk past and turn my head the other way...

When I do my hair in the morning I'll first not look and then dileberately not look at my skin but just at my hair...

ninja.gif

Anyone else feel like this?

- Sometimes when I'm really clear thanks to the regimen and pro active , Ill still not be able too look at myselft in the mirror..

I get told by everyone how attractive I am when my skin is clearish - but sometimes when I get 1 huge cyst or spot everyone will go - nice zit bud that thing is huge!! I Just want to die..

Maybe this means that my skin doesn't look as bad to other people as it does to me? --anyone ever wonder about that? - Your own perception of your skin is in your own mind and other people don't think its so bad to even mention?

Although when I had really bad acne everyone did say maybe you should try this this that or the other..

Anyway just abit of thoughts - things I would never be able to talk about openly..

comments and own experiences welcome..

Hey, you're not alone....I do the same thing. At supermarkets, shops, anywhere basically with some kinda fluorescent lighting, I deliberately avoid mirrors....it's so demoralizing. sad.gif everything, from the bright red zits, to hyperpigmentation, to scars, are like magnified it seems... sad.gif I live in a dorm, and I don't look into the mirror in the bathroom..

A year or so ago, I wouldn't look into mirrors period, whether fluorescent or not....it was just so bloody depressing...believe it or not, it got to a point where I wouldn't open the curtains, coz with the natural light , whenever i looked into the mirror, made my skin look 100 times worse. doubt.gif

so yeah, actually hearing you mention this makes me feel better...that there's someone else who feels the same, coz I thought I was being just wayyy too self-concious and obsessed (maybe I still am.... eusa_doh.gif ) with my skin..

~arya

I do that too, I even went as far as to ask my husband to take the mirror out of our bathroom(somethin about those dam lights just makes me look like shit,) I made him put a dimmer in the bathroom so I wouldnt have to see myself in the light (good lord thats a scarey sight) I cant go any where and look in a mirror cause then i"ll get all depressed and want to go home and hideout. I had a facial done once and she tried to make me look in the mirror afterwards and I was like I really dont want to. Then she recamended I go see a counseler, she even called one for me right there, I was like Bi-ch i am not here for therapy just a facial.

yea i have the same problem as u 15yr old.......i like obsessively look in mirrors to check to see if things improved or changed......but its stupid, cuz things cant change that fast, but i just check anyways

Don't worry, the mirror-phobia does go away when your skin gets better. But it's only replaced with mirror-philia!

When my skin was bad I would avoid the mirror because it just depressed me.

But now that I have cleared up, I look at the mirror much more than anyone has right to. Not out of vanity or anything, just to make sure that no new pimples are brewing.

^neurotic.

i dont look in mirrors too often anymore. and if i do, i prefer dark light. generally though, i tend to avoid mirrors in general. its funny too cuz im almost always 100% clear, but because of the past, i just still hate mirrors i guess.

So do I. I took the mirror out of my room and the bathroom. (There are a few small mirrors on the cabinet) And I shower in the dark with a nightlight. >_< I'm so jealous of people who can look in compacts or car mirrors in the bright daylight and not freak out.

I think that a mirror phobia comes naturally with acne! We all want to look good!

I always turn the bathroom mirror around so I don’t have to look at myself, so yeah I’ve got a mirror phobia

-Roddy

I got a different thing. I like taking photos of myself because I think I look better in them (with the flash) than looking in the mirror. Anyone else experience this?

I hate mirrors aswell, in the morning i allways jump in the shower so that the mirror would steam over, so that i wouldnt have to look at my friggin hyperpig. :/

But yeh i try to avoid them at ALL costs!

Tom

I hate mirrors aswell, in the morning i allways jump in the shower so that the mirror would steam over, so that i wouldnt have to look at my friggin hyperpig. :/

But yeh i try to avoid them at ALL costs!

Tom

Omg guys sorry havent been here, was supposed to get a mail notification on replies!

yay im happy I'm not alone - Just now sitting here with a huge cyst and thinking to myself its not soo bad- but who am i kidding!

I would not DARE look into a mirror with natural lighting no way - just to think what other people see omg omg omg

ninja.gifninja.gifninja.gifninja.gifninja.gifninja.gifninja.gifninja.gifninja.gifninja.gif

Anycase - also kids they sometimes say the worst things - I know they are naive but it really does hurt sad.gif

Anyway so I havent got any mirrors in my room so thats cool - but I find that my skin looks better in the morning than at night! Ill never look in the mirror before bed

And photos are ok if they are not too close up - actually look good sometimes -

Just wish I had someone to talk to about this in person like a g/f - bah fat chance I'll never be able to say this out loud!!

Thanks for support guys glad Im not alone - do you ever wonder why us?

sad.gif