Notifications
Clear all

NOTHING has worked

MemberMember
(@tttrouble)

Posted : 07/02/2017 1:13 pm

I kid you not, I have tried everything to clear my skin. 

• oral antibiotics 
  • topical antibiotics
  • topical creams etc.
  • changing my diet- going plant based (no dairy, no gluten, no meat) 
  • going on the pill- in an attempt to balance my hormones
  • going on anti-anxiety medication- to try and calm me the F down. (I always break out when there's something on my mind) 
  • zinc supplements, omegas, etc.
  • glycolic acid, lactic acid, retinol, sulfur, etc. (everything helps moderately, but nothing stops the root cause obviously)

You name it I've done it. 

And yet here I am, 23 (going on 7 years of acne).. still unable to find a "cure". 

I believe wholeheartedly that acne is generally an internal imbalance. I'm tired of being referred to dermatologists.. all they do is prescribe a topical antibiotic and an oral antibiotic and send you out the door. Acne doesn't have to be a bacterial problem. It can be due to food intolerances, hormonal imbalances, a high stress life, etc. 

I've tried to address all of those possibilities. I've given it a good year and a bit. The birth control helped initially, beautiful (almost) clear skin for about a couple months. I'm not sure what to do now. Feeling hopeless. 

I'm thinking of supplementing with some Vitamin D (heard that really helps).. besides that I have no idea anymore. Maybe hormone testing? 

Any suggestions.... prayers... lol anything could help!  (:

MemberMember
(@davebd1985)

Posted : 07/02/2017 8:49 pm

Have you tried benzyl peroxide? Sticking to a regimen for long periods. Perhaps it's just the lack of commitment, but really if you have already gone to an md about I'm not really sure. :) At least I'll try praying for you!

tttrouble liked
MemberMember
(@spicyotter)

Posted : 07/02/2017 9:57 pm

I think hormone testing would be a good idea, I plan on asking my doctor about that soon. Maybe the results from that will explain some things and help guide the path a bit. Are you still eating a plant based diet?

tttrouble liked
MemberMember
(@tttrouble)

Posted : 07/03/2017 10:21 am

13 hours ago, Davebd1985 said:

Have you tried benzyl peroxide? Sticking to a regimen for long periods. Perhaps it's just the lack of commitment, but really if you have already gone to an md about I'm not really sure. :) At least I'll try praying for you!

I used benzyl peroxide for years! it worked really well for me, but I became allergic to it somehow. Red, itchy skin.. not good 

Thank you for the prayers  

12 hours ago, spicyotter said:

I think hormone testing would be a good idea, I plan on asking my doctor about that soon. Maybe the results from that will explain some things and help guide the path a bit. Are you still eating a plant based diet? 

I asked my family doctor about hormone testing, and she looked at me like I was dumb. She said it wouldn't show anything helpful.. she's the type that was trained to believe all acne is bacterial. Hopefully your doc is much more helpful! 

I'm still eating a plant based diet, yes! The thing i've noticed is since I've started it (almost 2 years ago), I haven't gotten any cysts since. So that's a blessing. But I still get spots. Everyone's different! 

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 07/03/2017 11:07 am

https://www.rainbowlight.com/our-product/children-teen-health/young-men-s-multivitamin-plus-healthy-skin-support.html

Vitamin A and D if you can't get low dose accutane

MemberMember
(@shrewdbamboo)

Posted : 07/03/2017 3:13 pm

Assuming you have tried all of the above and stuck with them for a reasonable period of time, I am very surprised a dermatologist has not suggested accutane.

I would broach this with them and they will advise you of the advantages and disadvantages, as well as whether it would be appropriate for you.

MemberMember
(@lamur)

Posted : 07/03/2017 6:30 pm

If the birth control helped temporarily, it sounds like it might definitely have at least something to do with your hormones. You might want to talk to your doctor about changing pills. Also I saw that your diet changes have cured your cysts but not other spots and I have had the same exact experience! At least those cysts are under control as I'm sure you know those are by far the hardest to treat. For more surface spots, it's a good idea to use some sort of anti-bacterial daily, such as a salicylic acid toner, witch hazel, or a prescription. Have you tried Aczone? It really helped my pesky spots and it's super gentle. Finally, taking a probiotic daily is a great idea for general health but also acne if you suspect it could have anything to do with your gut. Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@tttrouble)

Posted : 07/03/2017 8:04 pm

4 hours ago, ShrewdBamboo said:

Assuming you have tried all of the above and stuck with them for a reasonable period of time, I am very surprised a dermatologist has not suggested accutane.

I would broach this with them and they will advise you of the advantages and disadvantages, as well as whether it would be appropriate for you.

Accutane has been suggested to me countless times.. it's not something I'd ideally like to be on though. 

1 hour ago, lamur said:

If the birth control helped temporarily, it sounds like it might definitely have at least something to do with your hormones. You might want to talk to your doctor about changing pills. Also I saw that your diet changes have cured your cysts but not other spots and I have had the same exact experience! At least those cysts are under control as I'm sure you know those are by far the hardest to treat. For more surface spots, it's a good idea to use some sort of anti-bacterial daily, such as a salicylic acid toner, witch hazel, or a prescription. Have you tried Aczone? It really helped my pesky spots and it's super gentle. Finally, taking a probiotic daily is a great idea for general health but also acne if you suspect it could have anything to do with your gut. Hope this helps!

You make a good point. I'll talk to my doctor about the pill. 

Cysts are the worst! it just feels like an angry ex who won't leave! Getting rid of cysts has definitely been an improvement- I'm glad you had the same positive result to your diet change! It's always a good feeling when something actually works. 

I use a salicylic toner in the morning... and a glycolic & lactic at night. I'm pretty consistent about my skincare routine.. I agree some sort of topical anti-bacterial is necessary. I have tried Aczone! I'm glad it works for you.. I wish it did the same for me 

MemberMember
(@o-wow)

Posted : 07/04/2017 11:26 am

On 7/2/2017 at 2:13 PM, tttrouble said:

• oral antibiotics 
  • topical antibiotics
  • topical creams etc.
  • going on anti-anxiety medication- to try and calm me the F down. (I always break out when there's something on my mind) 
  • glycolic acid, lactic acid, retinol, sulfur, etc. (everything helps moderately, but nothing stops the root cause obviously)

And yet here I am, 23 (going on 7 years of acne).. still unable to find a "cure". 

I believe wholeheartedly that acne is generally an internal imbalance. I'm tired of being referred to dermatologists.. all they do is prescribe a topical antibiotic and an oral antibiotic and send you out the door. Acne doesn't have to be a bacterial problem. It can be due to food intolerances, hormonal imbalances, a high stress life, etc. 

I've tried to address all of those possibilities. I've given it a good year and a bit. The birth control helped initially, beautiful (almost) clear skin for about a couple months. I'm not sure what to do now. Feeling hopeless. 

I'm thinking of supplementing with some Vitamin D (heard that really helps).. besides that I have no idea anymore. Maybe hormone testing? 

See a Naturopathic doctor. Normal derms/doctors are never helpful when it comes to acne. Also, if you do choose to take vitamin D, get the Liquid form, not capsule.

MemberMember
(@tttrouble)

Posted : 07/07/2017 1:40 pm

On 2017-07-04 at 0:26 PM, O Wow said:
See a Naturopathic doctor.Normal derms/doctors are never helpful when it comes to acne. Also, if you do choose to take vitamin D, get the Liquid form, not capsule.

I actually have seen a naturopath! We did testing to find out what my food intolerances were.. after that is when I went plant based (to avoid dairy and gluten, which I was very intolerant to!)

Like I said, making these diet changes has helped with cystic acne.. but little spots are still occurring constantly.

MemberMember
(@o-wow)

Posted : 07/07/2017 7:48 pm

6 hours ago, tttrouble said:
I actually have seen a naturopath! We did testing to find out what my food intolerances were.. after that is when I went plant based (to avoid dairy and gluten, which I was very intolerant to!)

Like I said, making these diet changes has helped with cystic acne.. but little spots are still occurring constantly.

I also took the food sensitivity test with my naturopath, along with a nutrient deficiency test and a GI map test. The GI map test was the most telling for me, as it revealed a yeast overgrowth in my gut.

MemberMember
(@smileamyway)

Posted : 07/07/2017 8:56 pm

On 7/2/2017 at 2:13 PM, tttrouble said:

• oral antibiotics 
  • topical antibiotics
  • topical creams etc.

Have you tried accitane? It's the only thing that worked for me.

MemberMember
(@simplemutton)

Posted : 07/08/2017 8:25 am

Have you tried eliminating sugar from your diet? It's by far the biggest culprit along with milk and derivatives.
Androgen hormones are also a killer for acne and always make me break out when I take gym supplements that increase testosterone(but you're a girl so you shouldn't have this problem).
I agree with you that stress is very bad.

Anyway if you suffer for cystic acne (ie severe acne) accutane may be the only option along with diet, low stress life and low amount of androgen hormones.
Topical retin A can also work wonder if you don't want to try a systemic drug

I'm 26yo, male, and suffered from severe acne since I was 14yo...so I know how you feel. I even did two rounds of accutane but I still have some acne.
Only lately I managed to get it under control by a combination of approaches (no sugar and casein diet, low stress, no supplements that increase androgen hormones) and good skin care routine.

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 07/09/2017 9:04 am

I went through exactly the same thing for 15 years!!! I have completely cleared my acne, and have the best skin tone of my life (to the point I can't stop looking in the mirror as I am in awe, after a lifetime of hating mirrors), despite recently going off the pill (stopping the pill has always caused the WORST outbreaks in the past), through the following:

* Plant-based diet - focus on green, leafy veg and a wide mix of alkalising & anti-oxidant foods, plus inflammatory fresh ginger.
* Top quality multi (super important to be high quality, to avoid cheap synthetic formulae. I use Garden of Life RAW for women)
* Omega 3 (Eye-Q before, switched to FCLO today for extra vitamin A)
* DIM supplement with milk thistle (converts bad oestrogens; gets rid of hormonal acne in some people - natural supplement; estroblock)
* High quality probiotic (Garden of Life)

Tons of herbal teas (always a variety), one matcha green a day minimum, and still have my morning fresh coffee (black, no sugar). I try to have fresh ginger in some form daily, as it REALLY calms my skin (usually in a drink, then eat it).

I don't eat meat, dairy (except odd goats cheese), bread or any processed foods. I don't bother eating fish or eggs, since they don't seem to *help* my skin, but don't actively avoid either. They are just acidic on the body and I aim for anti-inflammatory foods each meal.

The only things I use on my face are super gentle REN rose facewash once a day and LUSH Grease Lightning thyme-based soothing spot gel. Occasional natural cover-up and natural blush. No foundation.

I take no medication (it causes way too many unseen issues & only treats symptoms not cause), I no longer need to wear make-up (after 15 years of feeling horrendous about my skin daily), I no longer need to use face-masques, after doing so 3 times a week prior. I no longer spend tons of money on dermalogica face products and trialling the best make-up money can buy. My hair no longer gets greasy within 48 hours (also switched to a sulphate free shampoo). I don't have to obsess over pillowcases etc. any more. Plus feel amazing! It's worth a try going completely natural too, as will only do good regardless of effect on acne!