Notifications
Clear all

5 months of accutane, acne is still there

MemberMember
(@inkspirated)

Posted : 07/01/2017 10:30 pm

I'm literally so frustrated right now, it's been 5 months of accutane (20 mg twice a day) and im still breaking out and I'm getting like hundreds of comedons on my jaws and cheeks, my skin has many boxcar and rolling scars, and I think accutane made my pores HUGE .. seriously hating my skin rn :( is this normal? will i need another round of accutane? am i destined to have terrible skin forever? is my dose okay? I'm 21 F, 85 kgs, 175 cm

nope .. i won't cry 

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 07/04/2017 11:55 am

Stick to it,, it works late for some people, but it will work and you wont get breakouts, but I'm sorry to say that it will worsen the appearance of scars and hyperpigmentation while you're on it, atleast thats what happened to me. Do keep us updated if you can.

MemberMember
(@cecek)

Posted : 07/05/2017 1:32 am

As eternalrocket said, stick to it and finish the whole coarse. you have nothing to lose... acne scares will be treated after the course I guess and your skin will look much better after also...
just hold on your almost there..
I would also advise you not to use any type of oils or oil containing products, it could be thecause of the break outsmaybe

MemberMember
(@maisie89)

Posted : 07/05/2017 2:18 am

InkSpirated - The same thing happened me on my second course. I ended up staying on Accutane for 8 months (was meant to be 5 months) as I was still breaking out so my derm agreed to give me an extra couple of months. As soon as I finished the 8 month course, I started on retin-a .25% & spironolactone at 50mg's per day and I stayed nice and clear.
Ask your derm to keep you on it for an extra couple of months and see how you are. Definitely try the retin-a as it's like topical Accutane and keeps the pores nice and clear

MemberMember
(@inkspirated)

Posted : 07/05/2017 3:03 am

Thanks y'all for giving me hope, was very much needed ¤ï¸

58 minutes ago, Maisie89 said:
InkSpirated - The same thing happened me on my second course.  I ended up staying on Accutane for 8 months (was meant to be 5 months) as I was still breaking out so my derm agreed to give me an extra couple of months.  As soon as I finished the 8 month course, I started on retin-a .25% & spironolactone at 50mg's per day and I stayed nice and clear.  
Ask your derm to keep you on it for an extra couple of months and see how you are.  Definitely try the retin-a as it's like topical Accutane and keeps the pores nice and clear

yess my course was meant to be 4 months and now im on the 6th :( tysm for the advice ¤ï¸

MemberMember
(@maisie89)

Posted : 07/05/2017 3:30 am

16 minutes ago, InkSpirated said:

Thanks y'all for giving me hope, was very much needed ¤ï¸

yess my course was meant to be 4 months and now im on the 6th :( tysm for the advice ¤ï¸

I know how frustrating it is but trust me you'll get there with it, it's all trial and error.  I actually got better info from this board then I ever did from my derm! You have tonnes of options if your still not happy when this course is finished - you can do a second course, you could go on a maintenance course of Accutane (10 or 20mgs, once or twice a week) and you have spiro as an which is amazing for women who relapse after Accutane-there's tonnes of reviews online for this:)

MemberMember
(@inkspirated)

Posted : 07/12/2017 6:48 am

No progress so far

MemberMember
(@inkspirated)

Posted : 07/19/2017 7:51 pm

update: bumps are increasing and are now on my cheeks and forehead :( 

MemberMember
(@carlo2017)

Posted : 07/21/2017 4:11 pm

On 7/20/2017 at 1:51 AM, InkSpirated said:

I feel your frustration. listen to my story.

I'm having a nightmare with my mild acne at the moment. I'm 30 years old and suffer from mild/persistent acne. I've had quite a ride with this drug, and to be honest I'm having my doubts with it. I first started on 20mg ( 1 tablet ) then 40mg, but wasn't effective. So to get results I had to go to 60mg for 3 months and got great results. After my dermatologist and myself were happy with the results, he decided to bring me down to 2 tablets a day. My acne broke out badly roughly in about a month. So I had to go back on 60mg a day again. It's been nearly 5 months now and still, it persists in taunting me. But what I can't work out is why it's being harder to get rid of compared to the last lot of 60mg of 3 months from last time.  I don't know what to do anymore. Am I wasting my time or should I stick it out for a bit longer with this medication? I've done some research with people who have mild/persistent acne and I've seen quite a lot of people say stick with it.  But like I said I've been on it nearly 5 months now and my course finishes at 7 months, but i have my doubts that it'll work. 

MemberMember
(@inkspirated)

Posted : 07/22/2017 6:53 pm

On 7/22/2017 at 0:11 AM, Carlo2017 said:
I feel your frustration. listen to my story.

I'm having a nightmare with my mild acne at the moment. I'm 30 years old and suffer from mild/persistent acne. I've had quite a ride with this drug, and to be honest I'm having my doubts with it. I first started on 20mg ( 1 tablet ) then 40mg, but wasn't effective. So to get results I had to go to 60mg for 3 months and got great results. After my dermatologist and myself were happy with the results, he decided to bring me down to 2 tablets a day. My acne broke out badly roughly in about a month. So I had to go back on 60mg a day again. It's been nearly 5 months now and still, it persists in taunting me. But what I can't work out is why it's being harder to get rid of compared to the last lot of 60mg of 3 months from last time.  I don't know what to do anymore. Am I wasting my time or should I stick it out for a bit longer with this medication? I've done some research with people who have mild/persistent acne and I've seen quite a lot of people say stick with it.  But like I said I've been on it nearly 5 months now and my course finishes at 7 months, but i have my doubts that it'll work. 

my course will be over in 5 days, I'll be going to a different dermatologist and ask for another course since I got some new inflamed pimples which is crazy tbh considering that I've been on this drug for 6 months already! maybe we should stick with it since it's our only hope i guess :( 

MemberMember
(@carlo2017)

Posted : 07/23/2017 11:53 am

16 hours ago, InkSpirated said:
my course will be over in 5 days, I'll be going to a different dermatologist and ask for another course since I got some new inflamed pimples which is crazy tbh considering that I've been on this drug for 6 months already! maybe we should stick with it since it's our only hope i guess :( 

Well, it's hard for me to determine if Accutane is working good or not since that horrible acne.org moisturiser wrecked my skin and my acne went on a rampage..... While changing back to my old moisturiser (2 days now) I used before and also fighting off the excess acne attack with witch hazel which has left my skin very dry, I have to let my skin recover. What a mess, I spent £35 on that crap product. So annoyed right now. 

MemberMember
(@inkspirated)

Posted : 07/27/2017 8:38 pm

On 7/23/2017 at 7:53 PM, Carlo2017 said:
On 7/23/2017 at 2:53 AM, InkSpirated said:

Well, it's hard for me to determine if Accutane is working good or not since that horrible acne.org moisturiser wrecked my skin and my acne went on a rampage..... While changing back to my old moisturiser (2 days now) I used before and also fighting off the excess acne attack with witch hazel which has left my skin very dry, I have to let my skin recover. What a mess, I spent £35 on that crap product. So annoyed right now. 

I stopped accutane and decided to continue treating myself on my own, I'll use a simple cleanser that's not meant for normal skin and that's it. No moisturizer or anything extra. I've had acne for 11 years in which I have tried everything except simplicity, taking it easy and "just not caring", I'll also take a maintenance dose of 20mg per week till I'm done with the pills that I own right now (yep I decided that not the derm and idec) the reason why I'll use a cleanser made for normal skin is because my acne started getting worse when I started using these products 11 years ago, and the more I use them the worse my acne gets so acne stuff are probably BS, I completely understand your frustration.

MemberMember
(@inkspirated)

Posted : 07/29/2017 7:43 pm

I woke up to a new HUGE pimple, a few small ones and a few comedons too. tbh i just give up.. it's probably my fate 

MemberMember
(@inkspirated)

Posted : 08/05/2017 3:41 am

Update: all inflamed pimples and comedons disappeared except the little bumps under the skin of my jawline and on my shoulders, Im starting to guess that these are not even pimples

MemberMember
(@carlo2017)

Posted : 08/06/2017 4:34 am

On 8/5/2017 at 9:41 AM, InkSpirated said:

Update: all inflamed pimples and comedons disappeared except the little bumps under the skin of my jawline and on my shoulders, Im starting to guess that these are not even pimples

Yea it's alright, you're not alone. I'm still getting acne too and I'min a worse position because I'm on 60mg a day and I've been on this for over 5 months nearly so how do you think I feel lol. Keep getting tiny pimples but the redness radius is triple the size I mean wtf....

MemberMember
(@inkspirated)

Posted : 08/11/2017 2:22 pm

On 8/6/2017 at 0:34 PM, Carlo2017 said:
On 8/5/2017 at 11:41 AM, InkSpirated said:

Yea it's alright, you're not alone. I'm still getting acne too and I'min a worse position because I'm on 60mg a day and I've been on this for over 5 months nearly so how do you think I feel lol. Keep getting tiny pimples but the redness radius is triple the size I mean wtf....

YESS same thing happened to me!! this is month 7 (1 month post accutane) bumps haven't even moved lol I'm thinking maybe this is keraosis pillaris? but no more inflammed pimples I only get like 1 or 2 small ones around that time of the month

MemberMember
(@lisadorsey)

Posted : 08/12/2017 8:15 am

On 20/7/2017 at 6:21 AM, InkSpirated said:

Have patience. Avoid eating oil. Wash your face 6-7 a day. Do not apply any cosmetic product. And most important avoid touching your face and mobile phone way from face while talking, they have large number of bacteria which affect skin.

MemberMember
(@inkspirated)

Posted : 08/15/2017 1:50 pm

On 8/12/2017 at 4:15 PM, lisadorsey said:
On 7/20/2017 at 3:51 AM, InkSpirated said:

Have patience. Avoid eating oil. Wash your face 6-7 a day. Do not apply any cosmetic product. And most important avoid touching your face and mobile phone way from face while talking, they have large number of bacteria which affect skin.

Already done ^_^ 

MemberMember
(@inkspirated)

Posted : 12/29/2017 10:48 pm

Update: I still get occasional bumps (comedones) on my jawline, neck and forehead, but not often, i have noticed that my pores are starting to shrink this past past month, especially the ones on the nose and forehead area. I'm keeping my skin routine simple (green tea face wash before I go to bed, scrub during showers and only rinsing with water throughout the day, no moisturizers AT ALL) aaaand I rarely use makeup anymore, my skin is doing GREAATTT.

MemberMember
(@inkspirated)

Posted : 09/08/2018 2:52 am

update: I'm back on accutane