Bad Burning and Bre...

Notifications
Clear all

Bad Burning and Breakout 4 weeks in, Need Help

MemberMember
(@lawrence1)

Posted : 06/28/2017 1:17 pm

So I've been on the regimen with store bought products for about a month now. In the past few days I've started breaking out like crazy (10+ pimples and some cysts), along with having a burning sensation and a lot of flaking. I did not have this kind of reaction at all until now. It also burns worse when I put on my neutrogena gentle moisturizer. I'm really close to giving up because the burning is unbearable and my chin is breaking out and flaking like crazy. This doesn't seem normal for a month in. My cheeks are also breaking out badly, and I have two cysts. To put it in perspective, I started the regimen due to mild acne, I only had a few cysts in my life, and never had more than 2-3 active pimples at a time. My face has never been this bad. Should I give up? Someone please help me decide.

MemberMember
(@glittersniffer)

Posted : 06/29/2017 12:01 am

Hey there :) 
Describe your routine in more depth so we can try and figure out whats going wrong - include what products you use and if you exfoliate, wear makeup, after shave, etc. I think you're being too rough with your skin but I'm not sure if that's the only issue. Having 2.5% benzyl mixed with moisturiser is not very effective (I read this from your previous post). Benzyl peroxide works by drying out your skin pores and killing the bacteria within and having a moisturiser with this at the same time can irritate the skin and create difficulty in getting the benzyl to fully penetrate the pores (from my experience anyway, left me with burn -like feeling skin similar to what you describe). I advise you purchase a 2.5% benzyl peroxide treatment and a separate moisturiser and also to reapply moisturiser throughout the day. I apply the acne.org benzyl peroxide once in the morning and after it fully dries and absorbs into the skin I apply a lot of cetaphil moisturiser and at night I just apply moisturiser to avoid over drying my skin. I tend to break out more when I use benzyl more frequently than once a day as it irritates my skin too much.  

MemberMember
(@lawrence1)

Posted : 06/29/2017 10:18 am

So I don't exfoliate anymore, and I've stopped shaving for a little while to stop breaking out, but for a while now I've stopped using after shave as mine had alcohol in it, which I heard was irritating. But I start off using the cetaphil gentle skin cleanser, then this CVS brand Skin + Pharmacy 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. If I'm really dry after that, I'll apply a the neutrogena gentle moisturizer. 

I think that I actually sun burned, which caused my skin to burn for a few days, since the burning is subsiding. But the thing about the moisturizer makes sense. Would this make the product totally ineffective? Also, could it be possible that my skin is just purging really badly? I woke up today with another bump, so it just seems never ending :( I switched to doing it twice a day since that's similar to the regimen, and I was still getting some new blemishes on just once a day. The thing is, I cleared up pretty good before like a week ago, then it's been bad ever since. 

MemberMember
(@ahaguru)

Posted : 06/29/2017 9:13 pm

Apply acne treatment once a day, more than once can irritate skin or try every other day it will work better
use face cleanser once a day too
wear high spf on face or Weleda brand baby diaper lotion
avoid any scrubs