Natural way to trea...

Notifications
Clear all

Natural way to treat adult cystic acne

MemberMember
(@dolphin90)

Posted : 06/25/2017 6:45 pm

Hi all,
I have been using the experience of those on acne.orgduring my journey and now that I have seen some noticeable results, I thought I should share it with you.
Little background about me: 27-year-old female, acne during my teenage years, went on Accutane when I was 17 and acne was gone, mild acne came back during my early 20s but nothing too bad, moderate-severe acne started when I was 25, went on antibiotics for 9 months, I was clear for 6 months but after 6 months it came back even worse. I have tried topical antibiotics, retinoids, salicylic acid, and BP with no improvement.
After doing so much research, I decided to the following step by step and saw little improvements with each step:
- Eat a strict paleo diet for 1 month, after that, still follow a gluten-free, dairy-free, and alcohol-free diet
- Eat more healthy fats (I use cold-pressed coconut oil and olive oil)
- Take probiotics (pills and fermented food)
- Take digestive enzymes for one month (This made the most difference in my skin)
- Take zinc supplements
- Take cod liver oil
- Take ginger + turmeric tea once a day
- Take vitamin D supplements (This made my skin to go from okay tovery good!)
- Take MRT food sensitivity test and avoid foods that I am sensitive to
I started taking these steps in January 2017 and now it is June 2017. I have 2-3 breakouts during my ovulation week and 1-2 breakouts before my period. They are much smaller and less painful that the ones I used to get 6 months ago. Now that I am mostly clear, I am totally fine with drinking a glass of wine once a week or having a cake during a birthday. However, I try to stick to an anti-inflammatory diet as much as I can. Here is my current regiment:
- First thing in the morning, take one teaspoon of cod liver oil
- At noon, take 44mg of zinc
- In the afternoon, take 2200IU vitamin D
- Before going to bed, take a potent probiotic
As for face wash, I use Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser (I never thought I could use a facewash as gentle as this one!). Two times a week, I exfoliate my face with my Clarisonic.
I want to emphasize that if you do intense workouts, you need to be extra careful with your diet because your body needs a lot of nutrients to recover (I can tell you my workout story and how it affected my acne). Also, I would suggest taking blood tests before taking any vitamin or mineral supplements. I was both zinc and vitamin deficient. My nutritionist has been super helpful during this journey. I would highly recommend seeing one if your insurance covers it or if you can afford it.
spice002 liked
MemberMember
(@spice002)

Posted : 12/23/2017 9:24 am

I am going to follow these tips! Can I ask if your acne was on the chin at all? I currently have it on my chin. Am back on birth control now for the 5th time and it is making me crazy! So I need to find an alternative because I want to get off and stay off. Thank you!!

MemberMember
(@hospitalbum)

Posted : 01/19/2018 3:24 pm

Hey - I admire the change you've made for yourself!

I was just curious though - why gluten-free? Have you been diagnosed with Celiac's disease? If not, this may not be the best change to make for yourself. You might want to consider the health effects of going gluten-free when it is not medically indicated, as with Celiac's.