Notifications
Clear all

Recommendations for vitamin supplements

MemberMember
(@becky92)

Posted : 06/22/2017 5:38 pm

Hi everyone
just wanted some advice on good vitamin supplements that help with skin. I'm currently on antibiotics for my acne, have seen some slight improvement but not much to be honest. I've started taking probiotics because I read some horror stories about the damage antibiotics can do. I want to take some other vitamins to help boost my skin and health. I can't take anything with Zinc, Iron and magnesium I believe because of the antibiotics I'm on. I should also note I'm vegetarian so can't take any fish oils

MemberMember
(@moderatebutchronic)

Posted : 06/22/2017 6:10 pm

Over the past 5 years I've tried many minerals and vitamins. Mainly zinc and vitamin e. I've tried vitamin a too (in the form of carrott juice). I I've seen improvements with all three at different times, but it was never very much. I've only ever had huge improvements with antibiotics! And caution is advised on dosages, especially with vitamin a which is hard for the body to process. I've become more sceptical of supplementing without having being diagnosed with deficiency! Should we really be taking pills without medical advice?

Good luck with the probiotics. I have seen immediate positive results from drinking probiotic yoghurt. I've recently started the fermented milk drink Kefir from a bottle which is available in Polish shops here. Of all the natural cures this is the one I'm willing to stick with as I see results and there's little risk of any side effects.

As my title suggests I'm coming to just embrace (kinda) my mild acne. I've spent too long thinking about and trying random cures for little benefit.

MemberMember
(@moderatebutchronic)

Posted : 06/25/2017 8:06 pm

I should say that I had significant improvement in my acne (although not full cure) from taking the Dr Murad dietary supplement. It has a large number of vitamins and minerals in it including some of the ones you mentioned above like zinc and it also contains fish based ingredients so probably not suitable for you.It recommends taking several pills a day meaning you're getting multiples of the recommended daily intake.

However, my acne came back with a vengeance later after stoppinig the pills. And as I didn't see megadosing on vitamins as a long term solution because of possible side effects I decided not to go back on them.

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 07/09/2017 2:44 am

I have had the best results with a top quality multi (Garden of Life) and Omega 3. You can get Omega 3 in a less potent veggie form & add flaxseed to meals.

I have taken individual vitamin supplements in the past, but have never had amazing results that way; maybe as vitamins work synergistically.

Cheap supplements can be worse than no supplements. Check the form. For example, folic acid (instead of folate) and cyanocobalamin (instead of methyl-B12) are cheap forms that can cause your yd problems breaking down (the former for 70% of people) or toxicity from cyanide (latter).

Omega 3 has the biggest impact for me, although everyone is different! Acne is a symptom of thousands of underlying problems!

MemberMember
(@sezenci)

Posted : 08/04/2017 7:48 am

I would recommend you high qualitymultivitamin + high quality omega 3 + bromelain + Coenzyme Q10 may be krill oil and Vitamin C for skin healing conditions.

MemberMember
(@sezenci)

Posted : 08/05/2017 8:28 am

I can also recommend you zinc supplement.