Notifications
Clear all

26/M Second Round of The Good Good 40mg

MemberMember
(@athletic-man)

Posted : 06/20/2017 4:37 am

Here it is, my second course of Accutane. This is for mild/somewhat moderate at times acne. My acne is not as bad now as it was when I went on my first course at 17 years of age.
Day 1: 6/19/17
Course Length: 6 Months
26 Year Old Male: 150lbs
40mg Claravis
30 day supply: ~$225 No Insurance

As of today, I'm getting over a pretty bad breakout that was happening on my forehead and temples probably exacerbated by the "natural" pomade that I was using. I have a whitehead on the left side of my chin and maybe a few spots here and there. I'm really glad that I got the go ahead to take Accutane for a second time. I'll be honest, my self esteem was kind of plummeting bit by bit, especially when I would get a nasty breakout, reminiscent of my teenage years.

I'll probably post some pics from time to time. I can't say that I'll be updating this blog daily, but most likely and reasonably, weekly or bi-weekly. Since I don't have severe acne, the changes/results shouldn't be too mind boggling.

Anyways, off we go!

MemberMember
(@athletic-man)

Posted : 07/04/2017 1:55 pm

Day 16

Everything is going well on the home front. My skin is clearing up quickly and nicely. The worst of it, on my forehead, has calmed down and stopped erupting. After several days, I noticed the oil being pushed out of my skin, but it was nothing some blotting pads couldn't clean up throughout the day. I had some pimples come up and surface around my chin that either got brushed off in the shower or I easily popped them and the redness/scab went away quickly within a day or so. Any pimple that forms quickly goes away in a day or two now.

I want to note that I have still been using a 10% Benzoyl Peroxide face wash which isn't drying my skin out too much. The only problem areas are a little on my chin and around my nose. I use two different types of Laroche Posay moisturizers to mitigate the dryness. At night, I'm using Steen's 24 UMF honey as either an hour long face mask or sometimes as an overnight mask if I'm just too tired to wash it off.

Noticeable side effects: Dry lips and some fatigue after the first several days, but over the past several days I haven't had any fatigue that could have been related to the drug.
Also, a boost in self esteem/confidence: Imagine that....

Supplements: Magnesium, Curcumin with Bioperine, Milk Thistle, NAC, Zinc, Ubiquinol, ALA, Vitamin B Complex, Folate, L-Theanine, Acetyl-L Carnitine

I've been taking each 40mg capsule with a nutri bullet shake every morning with lots of fat. Typical bullet consists of Kale, Cilantro, Ginger, sometimes Cucumber, Pecans/Brazil Nuts, Coconut Oil, Avocado, Chia seeds, Hemp Seeds, Strawberries, Blueberries, Matcha, Ceylon Cinnamon, Almond Milk, and Beets.

Overall, my skin is calm, smooth and pretty clear. I have scars, but none are deep, so they will fade overtime no problem I imagine.

Although my acne is a lot milder than it was in my teens when I first went on Accutane, I believe that my much improved diet and lifestyle is a large contributing factor in how little time it is taking to see noticeable results this quickly.

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 07/06/2017 8:30 pm

Good luck with your second course. Ill be done mine in five days. Like you my acne was mild to moderate. It was worst my first time a round. Im clear again but not too hopeful.

MemberMember
(@athletic-man)

Posted : 07/17/2017 10:38 am

Day 29

I gota call from my dermatologist today explaining that my liver enzymes were extremely high and that I would not be able to continue taking accutane. Isn't that fucked up? I don't drink, do drugs, or have not taken any acetaminophen/NSAIDS since starting accutane. I have an appointment with her tomorrow, so we'll see what she proposes. She did say I should make an appointment with a PCP, which I don't have at the moment, and see what they think about my abnormal liver levels.

My skin's oil level is very low at the moment. I'm still getting some active pimples here and there, but I'm liking the way my skin is looking. It's such a shame I have to stop this wonderful wonderful drug, high liver levels be damned.

Has anyone else had to stop accutane due to elevated liver enzyme levels and find an alternative treatment?

MemberMember
(@pmt1958)

Posted : 07/18/2017 8:13 am

Try taking a milk thistle to help regulate liver function. I do. I've drank a few times on accutane and my results came back pretty good. I also drink warm lemon water as well. Things like cucumbers, lemons, and water will help regulate your liver. Worth a shot right?

MemberMember
(@athletic-man)

Posted : 07/18/2017 2:52 pm

The thing is...I have been taking Milk Thistle since going on Accutane.

So, I got back from the derm's office today and she prescribed me Tazorac as well spoke with me about a possible Blue Light Treatment in the near future. Also, she recommended that I set up an appt. with a PCP to discuss the liver situation further.

I guess in the meantime I'll apply the cream and maybe do the Blue light treatment if I don't get enough of a result with this cream.

Ugh...Quite disappointing to have to stop Accutane when you know it works from past experience and you're seeing positive results after 1 month.

MemberMember
(@pmt1958)

Posted : 07/19/2017 9:08 am

Sorry to hear that man...that sucks. Was that your first blood test since starting?

MemberMember
(@athletic-man)

Posted : 07/20/2017 12:04 pm

Yeah, first blood test unfortunately.

Gonna do a blue light session in a few weeks and see how it goes. Not sure yet if it's gonna be with the Levulan or not. So expensive...I feel like I'm in the wrong area for this. Prices are so high.

Turns out the Tazorac gel would be like $375 minimum, so I said no thank you to that...stupid patents. They alternatively wanted to put me back on RetinA, but I said no to that as well. I don't want to put any more gunk on my face if I don't have to. So, I'm just using a BP wash at the moment, hoping I don't break out again.