Notifications
Clear all

How do I get the motivation to eat healthy?

MemberMember
(@coolgirl98)

Posted : 06/08/2017 9:52 pm

Hi all, I've had acne since I was 13. I'm now 21. :( Back then, I thought it was hormonal. Now I know that it is 99% diet related. Some foundation does break me out, usually the ones with SPF, but I don't wear makeup regularly. How do you guys get the motivation to eat super clean? Junk food like fries, hamburgers, etc breaks me out. Pizza breaks me out horribly, and I'm not sure if I'm lactose intolerant (parents said I was as a baby), so probably. I don't cook really and I don't drive either, so it's harder. Do you guys have any food suggestions or suggestions to help me out? My family doesn't understand junk food can cause acne. We've eaten junk food in 3 days so far, within the past 5 days...help me please. I'm dark-skinned and the dark spots have ruined my face. I also have small bumps some places from scars that didn't heal smoothly...

MemberMember
(@calmhead)

Posted : 06/09/2017 3:10 am

Hi there, how do you know it's 99% diet related? Did you do the trial and error method?

Personally, I eat healthy because I wanted to. lol Ok, I admit that I have this thought only after I've started having acne.
When it comes to the reason why, I believe in "You are what you eat.". The outcome of eating clean and healthy may or may not show up immediately. At the end whether it improves the acne or not, it is still doing your body good in a long-term. So, why not?

And I'm those kind of person that doesn't like processed food in my heart, because I found them tasted all the same. I think that all processed foods would tasted the same if they don't add in chemicals, sugar, sodium etc. So we are tasting the chemical actually, not the food. So why don't we eat whole food for each taste plus other health benefits? For example, oranges for its sweetness and vitamin C, lemon for sour and vitamin C, veggies are generally sweet and helps with digestion, a little bit of meat are good for your bones and many organ, etc.
The best part of eating whole foods is that they are born alongside with the earth, not human made chemicals. They have tastes in their own way, which is cool! I don't know am I taking this too far, but anyway that's my way to think of it.

Apart from that, I do eat junk food, not very often though, I am a modern human living in a society after all. I believe what you don't eat doesn't matter much, but what you DO eat.

Also, avoid sugar and hormone fluctuate ingredients.
Do exercise and eat colourful foods, then you're good.

MemberMember
(@mr-brownstone)

Posted : 06/09/2017 9:39 am

If your acne is having that kind of effect on you, isn't that enough motivation in itself for you to try?

My advice to you would be to embrace cooking. I mean, we spend so much of our lives eating food, why not learn a little about it?

Cut down on the Wheat/Gluten, Sugar, Dairy and processed/Packet foods

Eat more Kale, spinach, broccoli, carrots, Blueberries, Apples, Raspberries, Strawberries.

Drink water not pop

MemberMember
(@coolgirl98)

Posted : 06/13/2017 8:33 am

On 6/9/2017 at 4:10 AM, CalmHead said:

Hi there, how do you know it's 99% diet related? Did you do the trial and error method?

Personally, I eat healthy because I wanted to. lol Ok, I admit that I have this thought only after I've started having acne.
When it comes to the reason why, I believe in "You are what you eat.". The outcome of eating clean and healthy may or may not show up immediately. At the end whether it improves the acne or not, it is still doing your body good in a long-term. So, why not?

And I'm those kind of person that doesn't like processed food in my heart, because I found them tasted all the same. I think that all processed foods would tasted the same if they don't add in chemicals, sugar, sodium etc. So we are tasting the chemical actually, not the food. So why don't we eat whole food for each taste plus other health benefits? For example, oranges for its sweetness and vitamin C, lemon for sour and vitamin C, veggies are generally sweet and helps with digestion, a little bit of meat are good for your bones and many organ, etc.
The best part of eating whole foods is that they are born alongside with the earth, not human made chemicals. They have tastes in their own way, which is cool! I don't know am I taking this too far, but anyway that's my way to think of it.

Apart from that, I do eat junk food, not very often though, I am a modern human living in a society after all. I believe what you don't eat doesn't matter much, but what you DO eat.

Also, avoid sugar and hormone fluctuate ingredients.
Do exercise and eat colourful foods, then you're good.

Yeah, I did trial and error. Only after I eat Chinese food, dairy queen etc do the pimples come. Occasionally makeup breaks me out but I've basically stopped wearing it.

No, you're not taking it too far. I agree. I just have to change my mindset to a long term one. When I eat unhealthy food, I don't see the long term effect on my body, so I just keep doing it, but I have to stop.

Also, do you guys think dairy, especially milk can cause pimples? Pizza causes it for me but not yogurt, even though they're both dairy products.

On 6/9/2017 at 10:39 AM, Mr. Brownstone said:

If your acne is having that kind of effect on you, isn't that enough motivation in itself for you to try?

My advice to you would be to embrace cooking. I mean, we spend so much of our lives eating food, why not learn a little about it?

Cut down on the Wheat/Gluten, Sugar, Dairy and processed/Packet foods

Eat more Kale, spinach, broccoli, carrots, Blueberries, Apples, Raspberries, Strawberries.

Drink water not pop

Yes, it is. It's just that when we're one crunch for time, we end up buying fast food. But I guess I have to insist. I eat this organic salad called Baby Spring Mix. It has kale, spinach, etc. I eat it with grape tomatoes. I love it but I use a lottttttttt of thousand island salad dressing, so I really don't know how good it is for me. Even if I only use a single tablespoon, it's 12 g of fat :o. What healthy dressing do you guys suggest? What are some examples of meals you eat?

MemberMember
(@mr-brownstone)

Posted : 06/13/2017 9:09 am

Check out my topic ' 4 months Low GI, wheat, gluten, dairy' diet topic on page 1.

MemberMember
(@sleptember)

Posted : 06/14/2017 12:59 pm

I have also learned that acne is a choice caused by our lifestyle. When I eat a clean diet, my skin is flawless.

Here are my suggestions for how to eat healthy:

• Make a plan:take a pen and paper and write down your reasons for eating healthy and how you are going to do it. Make a list of all the healthy foods you are going to eat like apples, berries, kale, cabbage, parsley, water, herbal tea etc. Make a list of all the foods you won't eat like McDonald's, Chinese take-out, cooking oils, gluten, refined sugar, dairy, etc.Make a promise to do your best to stick to the plan. Stick this plan on your bedroom door where you will see it every day.
  • Set a goal:now that you have a plan, give yourself a goal to achieve. For example, set a goal to have clear skin in 6 months by following your plan. Every morning remind yourself of the goal, and promise yourself to be dedicated so that you can achieve your goal in time.
  • Be responsible:Now that you have a plan and a goal, you have to be responsible. No one is going to cure your acne but you. Let your family eat junk food if that's what they want, that's their life. You have to prepare your own food. Be responsible for yourself. Make yourself a salad with lettuce, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, and avocado. Make a smoothie with kale and banana. Drink water instead of soda. Say no to fries. Say no to pizza. You are responsible for saying yes to good food. You are responsible for saying no to unhealthy food.
  • Love yourself: Junk food tastes good, but you know it gives you bad results. If you know that gluten gives you acne, it's self-destruction to keep eating it.Love yourself and support yourself. Make good choices because you want yourself to be happy and beautiful.

Ae1976 and coolgirl98 liked
MemberMember
(@skyesthelimit)

Posted : 06/15/2017 3:48 am

I just know how you feel. :( You know the feeling when you want to do it but you don't get enough motivation for it? Always easier said than done but I guess, a buddy can help. Like someone who will do it together with you and coach you to eat healthy. Maybe a friend who is a health freak or something.lol 

It takes a lot of discipline and always think that you are doing it for yourself and not for others. I have yet  to find my own! Best of luck to you dear! :)

MemberMember
(@coolgirl98)

Posted : 06/15/2017 5:59 pm

On 6/14/2017 at 1:59 PM, sleptember said:

I have also learned that acne is a choice caused by our lifestyle. When I eat a clean diet, my skin is flawless.

Here are my suggestions for how to eat healthy:

• Make a plan: take a pen and paper and write down your reasons for eating healthy and how you are going to do it. Make a list of all the healthy foods you are going to eat like apples, berries, kale, cabbage, parsley, water, herbal tea etc.  Make a list of all the foods you won't eat like McDonald's, Chinese take-out, cooking oils, gluten, refined sugar, dairy, etc. Make a promise to do your best to stick to the plan. Stick this plan on your bedroom door where you will see it every day.

• Set a goal: now that you have a plan, give yourself a goal to achieve. For example, set a goal to have clear skin in 6 months by following your plan. Every morning remind yourself of the goal, and promise yourself to be dedicated so that you can achieve your goal in time.

• Be responsible: Now that you have a plan and a goal, you have to be responsible. No one is going to cure your acne but you. Let your family eat junk food if that's what they want, that's their life. You have to prepare your own food. Be responsible for yourself. Make yourself a salad with lettuce, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, and avocado. Make a smoothie with kale and banana. Drink water instead of soda. Say no to fries. Say no to pizza. You are responsible for saying yes to good food. You are responsible for saying no to unhealthy food.

• Love yourself: Junk food tastes good, but you know it gives you bad results. If you know that gluten gives you acne, it's self-destruction to keep eating it. Love yourself and support yourself. Make good choices because you want yourself to be happy and beautiful.

Wow, thank you for this post! I made a shopping list with sample healthy meals and am going to start meal prepping and thinking long term. I've already started replacing junk food with salad and home-cooked meals.  And now I also don't feel the guilt I did after I ate junk food. :D Thanks so much!

14 hours ago, skyesthelimit said:

I just know how you feel. :( You know the feeling when you want to do it but you don't get enough motivation for it? Always easier said than done but I guess, a buddy can help. Like someone who will do it together with you and coach you to eat healthy. Maybe a friend who is a health freak or something.lol 

It takes a lot of discipline and always think that you are doing it for yourself and not for others. I have yet  to find my own! Best of luck to you dear! :)

Yes, it does take a lot discipline, but I think this time is for real lol. I'm tired of having acne. xD Good luck on your journey!!! :)

MemberMember
(@skyesthelimit)

Posted : 06/16/2017 3:47 am

Oh I'm so jealous! That discipline with me... is really hard to get. Good luck to you too! :)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/16/2017 2:31 pm

You get use to not eating all the shit that others eat like sweets and doughnuts etc.

i been on a strict diet and regime and it has worked ok so far,you will get use to it.

key is to monitoring your skin and remembering what you eat,you see any telltale signs of breakout then change the diet till you clear.

when i started drinking 5-6 pints water a day it seemed hard months ago,now its like nothing.
:)

MemberMember
(@skyesthelimit)

Posted : 06/20/2017 2:35 am

I think I'll do well with the water thingy. :)

MemberMember
(@ae1976)

Posted : 06/22/2017 7:43 pm

So I was not a very healthy eater until I realized that my acne is connected to my diet. I then cut out sugar. It was really hard initially and I slipped back a lot. The only real motivation came one day when I looked in the mirror and my skin looked really horrible.

I realized that day that motivation comes in small bite size chunks. Try and cut everything out of your diet one day and you're pretty much setting yourself up for failure. Motivation especially with food is sticking to avoiding one thing at a time. Get through one day, then another and it just adds up. After a while your body will automatically reject something that is not good for you.

After a while you will feel really healthy and trust me you will not want any junk food. Trust me on this. I love food and used to say I will never stop eating this or that, but after I stopped sugar and started feeling great I will never ever go back to eating it.

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 06/24/2017 5:17 am

I agree with the poster above. Making small changes every few days is far more sustainable. I find that focusing on what to add MORE of in my diet tends to crowd out the bad stuff anyway. Make a plan of 3-5 acne-fighting things you want to eat more of in a week, make a tick or star chart, and praise yourself every time you eat one. For example, steamed greens, raw carrots, colourful veggies, etc. Eating fibrous veg you will soon start to fill up on nutritious foods and eat less junk! If you do not cook, big salads might be a good place to start. Make some fancy dressings (with ACV and Olive Oil bases) to make it more enjoyable until your palette adapts. Also try making some small switches... brown pasta in place of white pasta. Choose a couple of foods you no longer want to eat and tell your parents, so it becomes part of their repertoire not to serve it to you from this point forwards. Choosing just a couple means that they should be able to accommodate it easily without any dramas. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@coolgirl98)

Posted : 06/25/2017 10:37 pm

On 6/22/2017 at 8:43 PM, Ae1976 said:

So I was not a very healthy eater until I realized that my acne is connected to my diet. I then cut out sugar. It was really hard initially and I slipped back a lot. The only real motivation came one day when I looked in the mirror and my skin looked really horrible.

I realized that day that motivation comes in small bite size chunks. Try and cut everything out of your diet one day and you're pretty much setting yourself up for failure. Motivation especially with food is sticking to avoiding one thing at a time. Get through one day, then another and it just adds up. After a while your body will automatically reject something that is not good for you.

After a while you will feel really healthy and trust me you will not want any junk food. Trust me on this. I love food and used to say I will never stop eating this or that, but after I stopped sugar and started feeling great I will never ever go back to eating it.
Do you just eat fruit when you crave sweets? I agree. I'm trying to take it one day at a time. xD

MemberMember
(@kb1693)

Posted : 06/26/2017 9:08 am

It's carbs that do it for me, if I stay high fat, high protein and low carb (100-200g) a day, i balance my meals too so i'm not just eating carbs alone, i'm eating them with some fat/protein to balance the glycemic load, my face will start to clear up with noticeableimprovement day by day in redness and no new spot formations. If i drop carbs too low or raise them too high, new spots will form, upon reducing carbs again they will start to dry up and pop.

Since i know this works for me this is motivation enough for me to want to keep eating this way. It comes down to if you want to have clear skin more than you love eating junk food, you need to make that decision.

There is no real way to control your diet unless you are the one buying the food, unless your parents are incrediblyunderstanding. You need to pick healthy foods, like meats, vegetables, some fruits, if you can tolerate dairy then cheese and milk. Eliminate caffeine and alcohol also.

my diet typically consists of

I don'treally eat lunch, I listen to my body to tell me when i'm hungry and a lot of the time breakfast will last till dinner, my breakfasts tend to be calorie heavy so this is probably why I don't get hungry till later.

sometimes I will get a little hungry and I might have some cheese and a piece of fruit or some milk and a piece of fruit (dairy doesn'tcause me to break out and again balancing carbs from the fruit with fat / protein from the milk and cheese)

MemberMember
(@liberaltext)

Posted : 07/02/2017 10:01 pm

I think the best thing you can do is watch documentaries. I suggest Hungry for Change, Forks over knives, vegucated, food matters and what the health. When you learn the importance of it something changes in your head and its almost like you will know reasons and facts to make yourself realize you deserve better than to eat things that are bad for you, When doing this you then realize all the cool people you will meet who think the same a you at all the new restaurants, grocery stores and juice bars you will go to.

MemberMember
(@rollercoaster)

Posted : 07/10/2017 3:55 pm

maybe you're lactose intolerant. maybe the only foods breaking you out are dairy? like pizza, ice cream, burgers with cheese etc.

MemberMember
(@coolgirl98)

Posted : 07/12/2017 2:41 pm

I may be, but the foods that break me out are always fried in oil, so I feel like it has more to do with that than the dairy. But thanks for your input!!!

MemberMember
(@coolgirl98)

Posted : 07/12/2017 3:20 pm

UPDATE: I've been trying to eat healthy and my acne is almost gone. I have a few small bumps, I did have a small slip up but my face has been really clear. I've been using Olay oil minimizing wash and Phisoderm cleanser. The Acne org one is pretty gentle too. Thank you everyone for your support and good luck on your skin journey!!!