Notifications
Clear all

Severe Body Acne - Accutane

MemberMember
(@jc123)

Posted : 06/05/2017 6:26 am

Hi guys, I thought I'd share my experience with the drug Accutane which I have been using for almost 5 months to try to clear my body acne. There's mixed feedback out there regarding Accutane and its effectiveness so I wanted to tell you my experience. 

I've suffered from severe acne for roughly 3 years and mild acne for about 5 and after trying every over the counter drug, body wash and cream available I was finally offered Accutane! I can honestly say after 5 months the drug has completely cleared my back, shoulders and chest and there's only scars left! I was started on 40mg for the first month and then 80mg for the next 5 months. It's not been easy having to deal with all the sides such as headaches, dry hands and face and extremely dry lips but it has definitely been worth it! I'm now looking into products to help reduce the scarring but overall it has changed my life. If you have any questions about Accutane feel free to ask! I will also post pictures of day 1 and 4 months later. 
Ive still got 6 weeks to go so hopefully the good results still come!image.jpegimage.png

MemberMember
(@ribosome)

Posted : 06/05/2017 11:49 am

Topical retinoids like Retin-A can effectively reduce scarring because it is enhancing cells turnover. Ask your physician for it :)

Jc123 liked
MemberMember
(@ozzie7576)

Posted : 06/05/2017 6:54 pm

Nice improvement. It is good to see people who don't feel Accutane ruined their lives. I don't want to discount others' experiences, but balance like this is good. Thanks for sharing.

Jc123 liked
MemberMember
(@mdi)

Posted : 06/05/2017 7:46 pm

Looking good! I recommend non abrasive treatments (not until you're well out of your treatment), until then you could try Azelaic acid topicals (it also works as a skin lightening cream which helps reduce hyperpigmentation), just note that your skin can become irritated if it's quite dry. It's recommended you don't use these types of topicals while on roaccutane but it doesn't really affect me much so I say give it a go! I also suggest IPL therapy (intense pulsed lighting therapy), this kind of treatment is non-abrasive and doesn't have any kind of damaging impact on the skin. Essentially what it does is uses a series of different bright LED lights to reduce inflammation and hyperpigmentation.

Good luck!

Jc123 liked