Introducing AHA+ gl...

Notifications
Clear all

Introducing AHA+ glycolic acid - is a breakout normal?

MemberMember
(@tegz)

Posted : 06/01/2017 2:53 pm

I've started using AHA+ / glycolic acid this week after being on the regimen for a month as recommended. My skin was so clear and smooth before introducing the AHA and now it's really red and I've had a breakout. Is this normal? Did this happen to anyone else too?

I've been really strict with the regimen, following all the steps etc. I have mild to moderate acne so found that it cleared really quickly.I'm now worried that it's got really bad again.I've been using a pump of AHA (the acne.org AHA+ 10%) mixed with a pump of (acne.org) moisturiser each night since the start of week 5 (4 days in now). Should I have introduced it more gradually? Or does it have to get worse before it gets better? I'm guessing/ hoping that it brings all the red marks out before getting rid of them?! Or is this just my skin adjusting to the AHA?

So many questions but hoping someone can help/ has had a similar experience!

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 06/06/2017 9:20 am

Diluting AHA+ with moisturizer like you're doing should be OK for daily use, but consider cutting back on AHA+ to every other night until the redness has calmed down. AHA+ is very potent even when diluted and as such can be mildly irritating, so could be an irritation breakout. Cutting back should definitely help. Once you're clear again, you can experiment with gradually ramping up the AHA+ again.

Hope this is helpful! :)

Tegz liked