Notifications
Clear all

Accutane and Birth Control haven't worked!

MemberMember
(@loveem)

Posted : 06/01/2017 5:42 am

Hi!
I have had acne for about 5/6 years now, and I'm 20. Went on accutane for a little over a year when I was 15/16, a difficult experience, but it cleared up for a year or so until it came back. At the beginning of this year I went on birth control as we suspected it was hormonal. Haven't seen much improvement and have recently had a big flare up. Feeling like I've tried the last two resorts out there! Not sure where to go from here, and if there is any hope to get rid of it? Also if anyone knows of food allergies that could cause this continually?
Thank you!
Em

MemberMember
(@ribosome)

Posted : 06/05/2017 12:10 pm

Hi,
foods rarely cause your skin to break out. No proven link has been discovered between the food that you ingest versus skin condition, except for those having PCOS and who may have insulin resistance. Have you been tested for PCOS ? Often, people with PCOS don't respond well to acne treatment like antibiotics or topical creams.

What kind of birth control are you on ? Birth control like Yasmin or Yaz contain a pregestative called drospirenone, a derivative of Spironolactone. Spironolactone is a drug that is highly effective for those who suffer of PCOS, because it has anti-androgenic properties. Yaz and Yasmin contain 0.3 mg drospirenone wich is equivalent to 25 mg Spironolactone. Check with your physician if you can take this kind of birth control. It might help you !

MemberMember
(@ahaguru)

Posted : 06/05/2017 12:37 pm

21 minutes ago, Ribosome said:

Hi,
foods rarely cause your skin to break out. No proven link has been discovered between the food that you ingest versus skin condition, except for those having PCOS and who may have insulin resistance. Have you been tested for PCOS ? Often, people with PCOS don't respond well to acne treatment like antibiotics or topical creams.

What kind of birth control are you on ? Birth control like Yasmin or Yaz contain a pregestative called drospirenone, a derivative of Spironolactone. Spironolactone is a drug that is highly effective for those who suffer of PCOS, because it has anti-androgenic properties. Yaz and Yasmin contain 0.3 mg drospirenone wich is equivalent to 25 mg Spironolactone. Check with your physician if you can take this kind of birth control. It might help you !

If food Rarely cause skin breakout
how come when I switched from organic milk to regular I got really ugly breakout???!!!
how come when I eat chocolate or eat sweets I get breakout and my friends too tell me that sugar cause them breakout??!!!
we all know that meat and dairy loaded with hormones and people eat out like never before!

MemberMember
(@ribosome)

Posted : 06/05/2017 1:23 pm

I don't know if any of your friends has a Ph.D related to this field of study but if it's not the case, I would rather trust the scientific evidences that mostly all leads to the conclusion that there's no PROVEN link between food and acne that your random friends who may use suspicious references. Again, there is no PROVEN link. It doesn't mean that there's no link at all, but we are talking about moderate/severe acne here, not a pimple or two. So in those case, it is rather recommended to use a treatment in wich the efficiency has been proven.

Also, if you or your friends suffer of a somewhat insulin problem, sugar can lead to acne. But for most people, it isn't the case.

If cutting diairies and other things of your diet makes you happy and makes you feel safe about your acne it's great ! You may be right, but the facts are the facts, there is no proven link :).

MemberMember
(@loveem)

Posted : 06/13/2017 6:06 am

Hi, thanks for your reply! Have been tested and have mild PCOS. Also am taking Yazmin currently. I'm going to keep trying things, something has to work! :)