Notifications
Clear all

Male Accutane Journey

MemberMember
(@pmt1958)

Posted : 05/22/2017 12:31 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading this discussion board for quite some time now. It has always helped me formulate an attack against acne. I like to call it an attack rather than defense because I've decided I'm going to stop acne before it happens and stop chasing it away with an antibiotic or spot treatment. That is why I have started a course of Claravis.

I'm a 24 y/o male. My skin is confusing, I do not have moderate or severe acne, it is much more on the mild side. I have been dealing with on and off acne since I was 15. It used to be cyclical. 2 good weeks, 1 bad week. It was manageable. The older I got, starting when I was 23, the days of clear skin between breakouts became much smaller. I also noticed my skin was getting a bit more oily. Now I wouldn't call my skin very oily, it is a combination. Dry around the mouth and slightly oily in my T zone. I didn't get cysts, mostly inflamed white heads, blackheads, and an occasional guy under the skin I couldn't pop.

I'm sure there are ppl reading this that are frustrated thinking I didn't need to start on Accutane but for me, I thought I did. I was uncomfortable with the way my skin felt and I am in a professional setting every day, I wanted attention to be on my brain, not my face. And I'm sharing my journey hoping to help ppl in the same position who may not think they can go on it, but really want to.

Week 1: So I've taken 8 claravis pills. 20mg a day. So far so good. I have definitely noticed changes in my skin. Bumps have subsided and previously active pimples have gone down very fast. My skin is definitely less oily but I have no experienced any crazy dryness, peeling, or chapped lips (I have been proactive against this). I am feeling a bit more fatigued but no serious side effects as of yet.

My skin is definitely better after just one week, it looks healthier, softer, less oily. I'm quite hopeful after this week but I'm holding off getting too excited because I'm entirely sure an IB is possible. Regarding the IB, I'm hoping it can be avoided and I think I may have been a step ahead in that process. They say IB's stem from the shrinking pores and all the crap in those clogged pores being pushed out. I have been on antibiotics for awhile before claravis and a topical retinoid that alo pushes out impurities. Those treatments along with purging facemasks twice a week kept most of my pores clear ( I really hope). Has anyone else who have taken these measures before not gotten an IB, or has gotten one? Curious to see if there's a trend. A possible pre treatment regime to lessen the IB is entirely possible.

Anyways, that's week 1. Keeping my fingers crossed. Looking forward to hearing from anyone with questions or comments!

MemberMember
(@ahaguru)

Posted : 05/23/2017 2:23 pm

I would start taking vitamin E and flaxseed oil to prevent dry skin
it will definitely help your skin to look much better

PMT1958 liked
MemberMember
(@pmt1958)

Posted : 05/25/2017 8:34 am

I'm reading a lot about low and high doses. Right now I'm on 20 m/g per day. I'm 185 lbs so about 83 kg. I'm not sure how to calculate the right cumulative dose. Can anyone help me with that please?

MemberMember
(@pmt1958)

Posted : 05/29/2017 7:58 pm

Week 2: The beginning of the weeks was not the best. I had a lot of red bumps on my cheek bones. Typically this only happens to one side of my face at a time so it was pretty frustrating. I grew out my beard which I never do just to try and hide it a bit. Towards the middle of the week I noticed my lips and nose were starting to become much more dry. I've been religious in applying lip balm but the corner of my mouth started to crack. This would have been a lot more annoying but it seemed that at the exact time my skin dried up, the red inflamed bumps disappeared. Some came to a quick head that fell out and others just subsided. Tonight I trimmed my face very close and was amazed at how smooth it was! I couldn't care less if it was dry at this point.

I'm still not getting too excited because i know people have had cycles of IB's but it's encouraging to know what your skin might look like when it's all said and done.

All that being said, I do need some advice. It's becoming nicer out and the sun is stronger. I spend a lot of time in the sun and I'm in need of a good moisturizer with SPF. Has to be oil free. Does any one have some good recommendations? I would really appreciate it!

Last thing, it was Memorial Day Weekend so I was peer pressured into a few beers. It was definitely a fraction of what I usually drink but it does have me uneasy and know it will happen again. I figured a few wouldn't kill me if it was just one, but it's a long summer. Does anyone take anything to help promote liver health through this process? I have taken milk thistle before but not sure what's safe to take with the accutane.

Thank guys!

MemberMember
(@ahaguru)

Posted : 05/29/2017 8:19 pm

Try Murad spf50
you better start taking double dose vitamin E and 2 Tflaxseed oil, if you want normal not dry skin
Usually hormonal drugs and herbs they don't suit each other

MemberMember
(@pmt1958)

Posted : 06/12/2017 8:11 am

Month 1 complete. So far so good, I was only on 20 mg but my skin seemed to have cleared. My derm was very pleased with the results, I told her I was cautiously optimistic. I asked her if she thought I was out of the woods regarding an IB and she said that she thinks I am, we'll see.

She is bumping me up to 60 mg. I'm nervous about this because I haven't had any crazy dryness or redness yet and no IB. I'm worried all 3 of the things will come at once going from 20 to 60 mg.

MemberMember
(@pmt1958)

Posted : 07/14/2017 10:53 am

Just about finished with my second month. I've been pretty please with the results so far. I'm still getting some bumps on my cheeks here and there but they subside quicker than usual. I'm taking vitamin e to deal with dryness. When I trim my beard a lot of dead skin cells build up but nothing out of control. Lips are dry but manageable. Some days my skin looks and feels very clear. Other days it looks spotty and blotchy but when I run my finger over it there's no bumps, frustrating but rewarding at the same time. I'm assuming that spotty, blotchy skin will go away as the treatment progresses?

It also feels like blackheads on my nose come and go...when did everyone start seeing real changes in the blackheads on the nose?

MemberMember
(@pmt1958)

Posted : 08/01/2017 3:12 pm

About 11 weeks in. Skin is relatively clear. No real active spots. But my skin looks kinda of splotchy, little red spots that look like they could be acne but are smooth. I'll live with it.

Ever since going up to 80mg my hands, specifically fingers tips have been sensitive and started to peel. Everything else seems pretty normal. However, I really miss eating apples. Can't open my mouth wide enough for that without splitting my lips haha.

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 08/02/2017 6:14 pm

Aagghh bless. Keep that sense of humour!! Thanks for sharing your experience.

MemberMember
(@pmt1958)

Posted : 08/09/2017 9:20 am

Hey guys....could use some help here. I've been getting severe lower back pains in the AM after sleeping. It's gotten so bad that it wakes me up at night and I have to get up and stretch before I can fall asleep again. But, when i wake up and start moving around, the pain goes away completely.

I started getting this pain about a week before accutane but it was no where near as severe. I'm trying to figure out if it is bed related or because of accutane. So, for those that experienced back pain while on accutance, was it an all day pain, or just something experience in the morning or after laying down for awhile?

Side note, I have not other muscular or joint aches. I'd appreciate any input you may have, really don't want to have to buy a new mattress if I don't need to! Thanks guys.

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 08/09/2017 9:46 am

25 minutes ago, PMT1958 said:

Hey guys....could use some help here. I've been getting severe lower back pains in the AM after sleeping. It's gotten so bad that it wakes me up at night and I have to get up and stretch before I can fall asleep again. But, when i wake up and start moving around, the pain goes away completely.

I started getting this pain about a week before accutane but it was no where near as severe. I'm trying to figure out if it is bed related or because of accutane. So, for those that experienced back pain while on accutance, was it an all day pain, or just something experience in the morning or after laying down for awhile?

Side note, I have not other muscular or joint aches. I'd appreciate any input you may have, really don't want to have to buy a new mattress if I don't need to! Thanks guys.

having stiff body is very normal while on this medcation, you will get used to it in a few days and it will go away after you stop taking the medication

MemberMember
(@pmt1958)

Posted : 08/10/2017 8:17 am

@eternalrocketThanks. I do understand that but I'm wondering if being sore is an all day occurrence or just experienced in the morning or during times of low movement. And it's just my back, no other parts of my body. Just want to gather different experiences to see how mine compares.

MemberMember
(@pmt1958)

Posted : 12/19/2017 3:32 pm

Took me awhile but final update.

I'm very happy with how every thing turned out. I'm 100% clear, haven't had a real pimple in a while. I've been off for 3 weeks now. When I do think something is coming up i just leave it be and try not to pop it and it's gone in 24 hours. I have a few dark spots still from previous spots but I'm assuming those go away over time.

During the course of the treatment I rarely have extreme side effects. Normal dryness, hands peeled a bit, nothing crazy. No depression or anything like that. I took vitamin E and milk thistle as supplements. Vitamin E to give my skin moisture and milk thistle for my liver. I definitely drank during the treatment, more than i should have. Typically once a week. My hangovers were a bit worse but I was very healthy during the week with milk thistle, water, lemons, and apple cider vinegar (which I also think helped my skin). All my blood tests were normal. Not saying it's ok for every one but I survived, for now.

I write this hoping I can encourage people who are considering accutane to just do it. The 6 months fly by and I rarely worry about my skin any more (knocks on wood). Remember, short term pain, long term gain. Worry about the initial breakout all you want but when that 2nd/3rd month hits and ppl notice, it's totally worth it. When i was finished a few weeks ago I saw my family for my birthday. I shaved (with philips norelco one blade) and I was under a bright light (which i would have previously avoided) and my sister who has always been typically very blunt about my skin couldn't believe it, she said it looked amazing. I never even told her I was on the drug so she wasn't just trying to boost my spirits. Try it guys.

P.S. - As a male I usually broke out after shaving, the irritation is no good for my skin but i like a close shave. I only use the norelco one blade now. it's amazing. It's a trimmer that gets extremely close. I couldn't recommend it more.

Hope this helps.

dw75 liked