Notifications
Clear all

First round of accutane - looking for tips and experiences

MemberMember
(@rc2195)

Posted : 05/22/2017 5:59 am

Hey everyone,

I'm new to acne.org but have been reading posts religiously for the last few weeks in preparation of starting accutane!

I'm currently 5 days into 50mg/day and starting to really feel the side effects. My skin feels as if it's almost been sunburnt (definitely isn't sunburn as there has been no sign of any sun where I live and I've mostly been indoors at work these last few days). My skin has also started peeling on my forehead, around my nose and my chin. Has anyone else had any experience of this? What's the best way to soothe it and is it something that will stick around for the whole 4-6 month course?

So far I've been using cetaphil cleanser twice a day (although this does tend to make my face burn a little while using it so might switch to water in the morning and cetaphil at night). I've then been using the La Roche Posay Hydraphase Intense serum, their toleriane eye-cream and then either their hydraphase intense riche moisturiser or cetaphil moisturiser.

My issue right now is that due to my peeling skin any foundation looks horrendous. I'm trying not to wear make-up but with the way my skin is I'm not confident enough to go out without it for now. I bought La Roche posay toleriane foundation but I'm not too sure if I like it, so any suggestions would be welcome!

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with the peeling/burning/redness? I also noticed yesterday that although my skin is quite dry and peeling, it's also still really oily, does anyone have any tips on how to deal with that?

MemberMember
(@ahaguru)

Posted : 05/23/2017 2:32 pm

Vitamin E and flaxseed oil take inside! Makes a huge difference in dry skin!

I would take double dose Vitamin E and 2 tablespoon flaxseed oil

MemberMember
(@cecek)

Posted : 05/24/2017 2:20 am

Sounds to me ur not moisturizing enough maybe?

I would advise u to keep moisturizing ur skin, keep apply face creams every few hours, and drink PLENTY of water
At first I used to personally apply cream on my face every hour or two (after going back home from work at around 4).

My routine when I get back home is as follow:

-As soon as i arrive home i remove my makeup with my Garnier micellar water, its gentle for removing makeup.

-I then wash my face with my Bioderma sensibio gel moussant.

-after that, to double check there's no makeup I use the bioderma micellar water. I don™t do this step always, I just do it whenever i feel like i need extra cleaning since the bioderma wash removed makeup too.

- i apply an ointment for the scars that was recommended by my derm.

-i then apply generous amount of the face cream that the derm recommended, its a very very basic cream that was made for very sensitive skin that is allergic to soap. so its soap free, perfume free, very basic formula (its called ss4)

-i then keep reapplying the cream every 2 hours.

-I sometimes apply palmers cocao butter formula (my derm said its ok) when i am feeling extra dry or on dry areas at bed time. note that its very thick and it may clog pores but it works fine for me.

-In the morning, i wash my face with water only and apply face cream and then apply sunscreen before the foundation.i hope this helps ^_^

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 05/24/2017 3:10 am

44 minutes ago, Cecek said:

I would advise u to keep moisturizing ur skin, keep apply face creams every few hours, and drink PLENTY of water
At first I used to personally apply cream on my face every hour or two (after going back home from work at around 4).

-As soon as i arrive home i remove my makeup with my Garnier micellar water, its gentle for removing makeup.

-after that, to double check there's no makeup I use the bioderma micellar water. I don™t do this step always, I just do it whenever i feel like i need extra cleaning since the bioderma wash removed makeup too.

-i then apply generous amount of the face cream that the derm recommended, its a very very basic cream that was made for very sensitive skin that is allergic to soap. so its soap free, perfume free, very basic formula (its called ss4)

-I sometimes apply palmers cocao butter formula (my derm said its ok) when i am feeling extra dry or on dry areas at bed time. note that its very thick and it may clog pores but it works fine for me.

-In the morning, i wash my face with water only and apply face cream and then apply sunscreen before the foundation.i hope this helps ^_^

wow you already have a solid routine! You should be fine throughout your course.. eating almonds and drinking coconut water also helps because almonds have lots of vitamin e and coconut water is very hydrating, it helps in fading hyperpigmentation as well. Just stick to it..there will be times when it seems like the medication is not working anymore and it looks worse.. Don't change your products or routine too frequently because thats not going to help. Its just the way isotretinoin works. Anyway, good luck. Hope you get clear skin very very soon :)

MemberMember
(@cecek)

Posted : 05/24/2017 4:02 am

oh wow I didn't know almonds helps with hyperpigmentation , what a coincidence I just finished eating my almonds !
Thanks for the tips and support
I hope u get great skin soon too :D 

MemberMember
(@preferredopen)

Posted : 05/28/2017 4:19 pm

On 24/05/2017 at 8:20 AM, Cecek said:

Could ask what ointment your derm recommended for scarring? I'm on month three and my breakouts have stopped but am left with very noticeable red marks! Thanks ˜ºï¸˜ºï¸

MemberMember
(@cecek)

Posted : 05/29/2017 1:26 am

9 hours ago, PreferredOpen said:
On Ž5Ž/Ž24Ž/Ž2017 at 10:20 AM, Cecek said:

Could ask what ointment your derm recommended for scarring? I'm on month three and my breakouts have stopped but am left with very noticeable red marks! Thanks ˜ºï¸˜ºï¸

actually its a gel called  contractubex

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 05/29/2017 3:56 am

On 5/22/2017 at 11:59 AM, RC2195 said:

Hey everyone,

I'm new to acne.org but have been reading posts religiously for the last few weeks in preparation of starting accutane!

I'm currently 5 days into 50mg/day and starting to really feel the side effects. My skin feels as if it's almost been sunburnt (definitely isn't sunburn as there has been no sign of any sun where I live and I've mostly been indoors at work these last few days). My skin has also started peeling on my forehead, around my nose and my chin. Has anyone else had any experience of this? What's the best way to soothe it and is it something that will stick around for the whole 4-6 month course?

So far I've been using cetaphil cleanser twice a day (although this does tend to make my face burn a little while using it so might switch to water in the morning and cetaphil at night). I've then been using the La Roche Posay Hydraphase Intense serum, their toleriane eye-cream and then either their hydraphase intense riche moisturiser or cetaphil moisturiser.

My issue right now is that due to my peeling skin any foundation looks horrendous. I'm trying not to wear make-up but with the way my skin is I'm not confident enough to go out without it for now. I bought La Roche posay toleriane foundation but I'm not too sure if I like it, so any suggestions would be welcome!

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with the peeling/burning/redness? I also noticed yesterday that although my skin is quite dry and peeling, it's also still really oily, does anyone have any tips on how to deal with that?

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2017-05-09/parents-whose-sons-took-their-own-lives-warn-of-dangers-of-acne-drug/