Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl Peroxide (Epiduo) or Tea Tree Oil (TTO)

MemberMember
(@lukaku-michael)

Posted : 05/20/2017 4:09 pm

Hi im 16 and recently I've been getting really bad acne. It's mostly redness and hyperpigmentation with the occasional whiteheads. I got on Epiduo and took it for 2 months but didn't notice any effect, it was staining my clothes and my bedsheets, and was really annoying and depressing to use. I researched online and saw that Tea Tree Oil was good for my type of acne. I've used it for a couple days now, and the redness seems to be slightly better although I have more whiteheads.
im also taking proderma 100mg every night.

I'd like to know your opinion on the matter: should I use Epiduo or Tea Tree Oil? Which is best for redness and hyperpigmentation? It's really bad and I'm kinda desperate for a solution...

MemberMember
(@ahaguru)

Posted : 05/23/2017 6:35 pm

I would use tea tree oil but only on pimples and apply every other day
if you apply everyday your skin gets use to it and stop responding to treatment

Herbal teas are the best!
like this they prevent future acne:
chamomile, mint, nettle, milk thistle, burdock, lavender

MemberMember
(@paigers)

Posted : 05/24/2017 3:14 pm

For some people, natural methods work better for their skin rather than chemical ones.
Tea Tree Oil can help rid the skin of acne causing bacteria, but is also very drying. Make sure if you're using straight oil, you use 100% organic Tea Tree Oil.

I would also only use the oil as a spot treatment, and avoid using it all over your entire face, unless you dilute the solution in water so you don't dry out your skin.

Tea Tree Oil shouldn't be causing more breakouts, so if you continue to get whiteheads I would discontinue using it.

If you're looking for an alternative to Epiduo, this website sells a great Benzoyl Peroxide treatment. I wouldn't worry about fixing your hyperpigmentation until you clear your skin of current breakouts. To help with redness you could look into a moisturizer with the ingredient Niacinamide, which is anti-inflammatory and can help reduce redness.

MemberMember
(@lukaku-michael)

Posted : 06/25/2017 6:32 am

Thanks a lot. I switched to aloe vera gel 99% and tea tree oil and my acne is better, but i still have the persistent redness. I'll try out what you said.

MemberMember
(@kate1030)

Posted : 06/25/2017 7:12 pm

I am also 16 and currently use Epiduo. At first I noticed a very small difference but now after using it for over like 7 or 8 months, maybe I've become immune to it or something?? It really just hasn't been that effective in my opinion. Maybe I should try out Tea Tree Oil. Is the oil thick and sticky or is it a liquid oil?

MemberMember
(@lukaku-michael)

Posted : 06/26/2017 12:00 pm

16 hours ago, kate1030 said:

I am also 16 and currently use Epiduo. At first I noticed a very small difference but now after using it for over like 7 or 8 months, maybe I've become immune to it or something?? It really just hasn't been that effective in my opinion. Maybe I should try out Tea Tree Oil. Is the oil thick and sticky or is it a liquid oil?

Hey, so since it seems we have the same problem, ill tell you what im doing now, and i am much much better, soon ill be clear.

1: Most important thing: diet. I cut out dairy, fatty stuff, junk food, nuts, chocolate, oily stuff, and i eat a lot of veggies and fruits and almonds and drink a lot of water and tea

2: I use 99% aloe vera gel (best thing i have tried since getting acne) multiple times during the day (specially at night!) and i apply the liquidy tea tree oil on the whiteheads and isolated blots of redness. Also if you can find other stuff like Salycylic acid or zinc masks it helps

3: i wear spf 50 sunscreen everymorning

I am so happy i stopped doing epiduo. Stained my clothes, was uncomfortable and depressed me. Just do these three things and soon you'll be clear, i have noticed more change in 2 weeks with this routine than in 2 months of epiduo and countless more months of other crap

MemberMember
(@kate1030)

Posted : 06/26/2017 6:48 pm

6 hours ago, Lukaku Michael said:
Hey, so since it seems we have the same problem, ill tell you what im doing now, and i am much much better, soon ill be clear.

1: Most important thing: diet. I cut out dairy, fatty stuff, junk food, nuts, chocolate, oily stuff, and i eat a lot of veggies and fruits and almonds and drink a lot of water and tea

2: I use 99% aloe vera gel (best thing i have tried since getting acne) multiple times during the day (specially at night!) and i apply the liquidy tea tree oil on the whiteheads and isolated blots of redness. Also if you can find other stuff like Salycylic acid or zinc masks it helps

I am so happy i stopped doing epiduo. Stained my clothes, was uncomfortable and depressed me. Just do these three things and soon you'll be clear, i have noticed more change in 2 weeks with this routine than in 2 months of epiduo and countless more months of other crap

Thanks! What brand of Aloe Vera Gel do you use?

MemberMember
(@lukaku-michael)

Posted : 06/27/2017 8:40 am

13 hours ago, kate1030 said:
20 hours ago, Lukaku Michael said:

Thanks! What brand of Aloe Vera Gel do you use?

Aloe pura