Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cloud83

My first pill

Hi guys. I just took my first pill of Amnesteen 40mg this morning. However, 2 hours later, I developed a huge cyst in the middle of my forehead. Could the medication have kicked in that soon or am I just paranoid? This is a silly question, but does it matter if you pee right after you take the pill because I do not want to do anything that may drain out the meds. Also, should I stop wearing contacts this early or should wait till my eyes become dry from the pill? I'm also afraid that 80 mg is too much for me because I'm 5'4 and 125lbs male. My derm wasn't really thorough with me about the pill, maybe I should just trust his judgement for now.

Ok, whoa. Your dose is way too high to be starting off. I hate to say it but the likelihood of you having a bad initial breakout is high since you're starting off so high.

I"m 140 and they started me on 40mg first month and 60mg for the next 3 months.

It doesn't matter if you pee. I would stop wearing contacts. At that dose your eyes will become very dry fast.

If I were you i'd take 40 mg (no more) the first month. It doesn't matter as long as you take a certain amount over your course of treatment.

Goodluck and if you have any questions: Let us know smile.gif

I agree with GO that this dose is very high. In most cases, the higher the dose, the worse the initial breakout. (I don't mean to scare you - - just remember it won't last forever and you could be lucky and bypass it)

As for the recent cyst, I doubt it has anything to do with the Accutane. Since it is a synthetic form of Vitamin A, I believe it needs to build in your system for a few days before you actually see how it is effecting you.

Urination won't cause the drug to leave your system and since you are drying your body out, be sure to drink a lot of fluids.

I was never at the dose you are on and I only had to wear my glasses for two days at the most. Other than that, dry lips were much more prevelant than dry eyes. Nevertheless, each person has a different reaction.

I only did two months due to finances and realized that my skin looks better without Accutane. This isn't the case for the majority. I started off on 20 mg. I am 5'8 and weigh 123 and am a female.

i started on 80mg, i weigh 165.. my initial (if this was it) was miserable but tolerable... the stuff is definately working

I don't think the topic creator should be taking this drug if he has to ask whether he can 'pee' it out right after taking it...Next thing you know he'll end up blowing his brains out because he thinks he's depressed.

And 80mg is too much, I take 10mg/day now and get brilliant skin with no adverse effects. I'm 80kg, 6'1" male.

I can't say that I agree with that statement. I don't see how questions regarding natural body functions lead to triggers being pulled and brains going all over the place. If you only wanted to express concern over the high dose, you sure have a strange way of doing it.

if i were you i would just take 40 for the first day or two. This stuff is strong. I had to come off and i was taking 30 mg.

So just be careful, and peeing is no problem.

I don't think the topic creator should be taking this drug if he has to ask whether he can 'pee' it out right after taking it...Next thing you know he'll end up blowing his brains out because he thinks he's depressed.

And 80mg is too much, I take 10mg/day now and get brilliant skin with no adverse effects. I'm 80kg, 6'1" male.

Hi wza!

I'm 5'6 and weigh 125lbs and I was told to start on 60mg per day.

For the first week I only took 40mg then for the second week I took 40mg and 60mg every second day, then I went on to 60mg every day in the third week.

I think that maybe 80mg might be a little high to start on.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

good to hear a reply : )

it may be better to work up to the full dose, you're right. my derm told me to just start at 80mg b/c the way I figure it i am shocking my skin and body so the treatment gets underway quicker.. I have already had an "initial outbreak" and am on the verge of recovering.

the reason i confronted soldier is because he is 80kg taking 10mg a day which is 70mg less than his recommended dose. hehe

I'm going to trust my dermatologist, thank you. haha

My understanding is that the higher the dose the longer remission you'll see, I want permanent remission so if your 80kg like me your basically taking less than half the recommended dosage.  I am not a doctor but I've read that taking low doses for a long time is bad, and I'd like to hear from you if you see remission a couple months after stopping the treatment.

I also don't know how severe your acne is, but accutane is supposed to be a last resort, not a low dosage alternative for mild acne...

Why don't you show qualified and understanding of accutane's risks you are by asking him if you can 'pee it out'. That's just brilliant.

You aren't a doctor, obviously. Thankfully, also. And no, I won't be contacting you. I would, however, like to hear from you if you get lasting long-term side effects in the future from such a high dosage.

The reason I am acting so harshly is because so many dipshits are on accutane taking INSANE doses, especially to begin with...and when something goes wrong or they get a side effect they sue for all it's worth hence making obtaining accutane harder for everyone.

Where is all this animosity coming from, people? We are all here to be supportive of one another. I am grateful for the people on this board who answer some of my silliest questions.

As far as the dose goes, I agree that 80 mg seems like a high dose but usually it is the doctor who decides the dose, not the patient. To be nasty to someone because their dermatologist made a decision that you don't believe is the right decision is unfair. It should be the dermatologist that your posts are directed to not the user of Accutane.

This being said: Spot, how are you doing with 80 mg a day? I started on 20 and then went up to 40 mg - - went off for two months and started again on 20 last night. My initial breakout along with the cost of Accutane caused the lapse in my therapy. It was extremely daunting. I think if my dose were higher, the breakout would have been much, much worse so I just want to know how you're doing.

I wish everyone on this board luck and clear skin for the New Year!! Let's try to be supportive and nice to each other - - we have enough stress just fretting over our skin already.

P.S. Remember that quote from Fight Club about being delivered from clear skin and perfect teeth - -why do I still feel clear skin and good teeth are important?!?

Where is all this animosity coming from, people?  We are all here to be supportive of one another.  I am grateful for the people on this board who answer some of my silliest questions. 

SOLDIER:

Taking 80mg/day if you weigh 80kg is the recommended dose, what don't you understand about that? Thirty years of clinical study doesn't lie; if you are taking 10mg a day and weigh 80kg your taking 70mg less than the recommended dose. You are very likely to see a relapse shortly after stopping tane because 10mg is not enough for someone weighing 80kg. You think that you know more than a dermatologist? Lol get the *edited by Emmanuel* outta here.

SOLDIER:

Taking 80mg/day if you weigh 80kg is the recommended dose, what don't you understand about that?  Thirty years of clinical study doesn't lie; if you are taking 10mg a day and weigh 80kg your taking 70mg less than the recommended dose.  You are very likely to see a relapse shortly after stopping tane because 10mg is not enough for someone weighing 80kg.  You think that you know more than a dermatologist? Lol get the fuk outta here.

Although I was never on as high a dose as 80 mg, when my doctor upped me from 20 mg to 40 mg, I suffered a catastrophic breakout which, once the red is gone, will leave scars. This influenced me to decide on taking only 20 mg for the next two months and then go up to 40 mg. My mental health can't handle another breakout like that (by the way, all the nay-sayers, it has nothing to do with the scary Accutane suicide and everything to do with the acne). In the meantime, I am also on a steroid (which makes me an insomniac) to curb the cysts that arose last time.

There was a separate thread wherein we were discussing the effects of high doses compared to lower ones. It appears that the majority of people get better results by taking a lower dose for a longer period of time. For example, Elsa is on a low dose and if you see the progress in the gallery, it is amazing. Granted, everyone here has different skin, different genetics, differences in our ability to heal, so I am not saying that high doses won't work for anyone.

I guess it is just a matter of each of us finding the combination that works. I hope we all find it soon!

I am on 80 mg a day for the last 9 days. I am 150 pounds which I guess is close to 80 kg.

I told my derm about the high dosage but he said for your weight this is the right thing.

Now there are two types of derms

1. Those who believe a regulated dose (small first than make it higher) reduces the init breakout

2. Those who believe a regulated dose does not gurantee insurance from init breakout. If you were to get it, you would get anyway.

My derm is in category 2 and I have to stick with him. I guess cloud83 is also in same boat.

Now ppl can give thier opinions and tips, but at the end of day it is your derm you have to listen to. So Cloud, do not worry , I think you would be doing the right thing by taking 80 mg per day.

I am in 80 mg and I am in day 9. I have not got any init breakout yet ( does not mean I wont) and other than dry lips have not got any side effects. Make sure you take the pill after a meal else your stomach will start feeling funny (hearburn etc) since it is a high dosage.

exactly; the way my derm and I see it is that its better to do high dosage for 4-5months and be acne free for the rest of my life than have to go back on the stuff soon after the end of my course because the oil production went out of control again.

being on 80mgs brought some crazy patches of cysts up to the top in the first couple of weeks but not the stuff thats comin up is pretty weak. my derm told me that taking a high(recomended) dose is much more effective way of administering accutane than taking low dose for long periods of time.

SOLDIER:

Taking 80mg/day if you weigh 80kg is the recommended dose, what don't you understand about that?  Thirty years of clinical study doesn't lie; if you are taking 10mg a day and weigh 80kg your taking 70mg less than the recommended dose.  You are very likely to see a relapse shortly after stopping tane because 10mg is not enough for someone weighing 80kg.  You think that you know more than a dermatologist? Lol get the fuk outta here.

Although I was never on as high a dose as 80 mg, when my doctor upped me from 20 mg to 40 mg, I suffered a catastrophic breakout which, once the red is gone, will leave scars.  This influenced me to decide on taking only 20 mg for the next two months and then go up to 40 mg.  My mental health can't handle another breakout like that (by the way, all the nay-sayers, it has nothing to do with the scary Accutane suicide and everything to do with the acne).  In the meantime, I am also on a steroid (which makes me an insomniac) to curb the cysts that arose last time.

There was a separate thread wherein we were discussing the effects of high doses compared to lower ones.  It appears that the majority of people get better results by taking a lower dose for a longer period of time.  For example, Elsa is on a low dose and if you see the progress in the gallery, it is amazing.  Granted, everyone here has different skin, different genetics, differences in our ability to heal, so I am not saying that high doses won't work for anyone. 

I guess it is just a matter of each of us finding the combination that works.  I hope we all find it soon!

Hey smart guy, maybe you should stop showing off your pitiful knowledge and read the damn book that comes with the drug. CUMULATIVE is what matters, not DAILY dose. Fool. So the same results will be obtained either way. And, since I will be on for two years or so, I'll be acne-free for 2 years entirely while on it, compared to your six, and when off, results will be the same. Oh, and much, much less side effects.

You lose.

soldier, taking a low doss of accutane for an extended period of time (2 years) may give you horrible side effects, and may even damage your bones.

same as taking something ridiciosuly high such as 160mg a day may give you bad side effects.

its better to take a higher dosage for a shorter period of time, talk to your derm about possibly raising the doss to 40mg-80mg.

I have to disagree with the above posters.

40mg per day for someone who weighs 150lbs is roughly 0.5 mg/kg.

That is far below the average dosage for people with cystic acne.

1mg-2mg PER KG is the recommended dosage by the manufacturer.

Again, long term studies have proven lower remission rates with the higher recommended dosage.

Some details you might find in this dermatology thread

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/rxderm-archives/accutane-acne

I'll find the links to the actual studies when I get some break between classes.

Remember the dosage COMPLETELY depends on your body weight. A girl who weighs 100lbs, should not even be in the same ball park range as a guy who weighs 225 lbs.. Keep this in mind when people say they are taking 180mg a day of accutane - they may very well need it.

Cheers,

-Eric