Notifications
Clear all

Side Effect AFTER last accutane pill?

MemberMember
(@olliewickens)

Posted : 05/11/2017 6:39 am

So, I finally finished a nine month course of accutane at 70mg for 7 months, 40mg for one month and 20mg for one month.

I am acne clear and really happy with the result. I only have small pimples now and again.

A major problem since I took my last pill is a severely dry mouth. I have had this for ten days now and I am really, really worried that this will be permanent. My mouth is so sore and it's hard to even speak properly. It sounds trivial but damn, we really need saliva feel comfortable.

I never had a dry mouth when on accutane - so why is this happening when I'm off it? Has anyone else experienced this? Will it ever go away? My pharmacist suggested that it's likely to be a side effect of the tablet leaving my system and that it would not be long lasting... but I don't know? I am panicked that this will be forever.

I am so stressed and really in need of some advice / support / positive outcomes. Someone tell me my mouth will still produce saliva again...

MemberMember
(@olliewickens)

Posted : 05/11/2017 9:29 am

Anyone?

MemberMember
(@dandytsunami)

Posted : 05/11/2017 9:52 am

Chill dude its a side effect! Of course you will produce saliva again

MemberMember
(@olliewickens)

Posted : 05/11/2017 10:22 am

28 minutes ago, DandyTsunami said:

Chill dude its a side effect! Of course you will produce saliva again

But this has happened in the first week of no accutane? Is that still okay? Is it still likely to go away?

MemberMember
(@dandytsunami)

Posted : 05/11/2017 11:40 am

Of course dude its just the drug getting out of your system

MemberMember
(@olliewickens)

Posted : 05/11/2017 5:26 pm

Can anyone else give me any advice? I am so worried.

MemberMember
(@cecek)

Posted : 05/14/2017 4:42 am

the Accutane stays in the system even after the course is done. I read it stays for a month..
drink a lot of water tho and see ur derm for further advise .

MemberMember
(@olliewickens)

Posted : 05/14/2017 5:19 am

37 minutes ago, Cecek said:

the Accutane stays in the system even after the course is done. I read it stays for a month..
drink a lot of water tho and see ur derm for further advise .

Thank you :) 
So, you doubt it'll be permanent? I've had it for little over a week now... and it's still going strong. So, so dry. 

I'm just so worried I'll be stuck with this forever. It doesn't seem normal to have a dry mouth for a week with no improvement. 

MemberMember
(@cecek)

Posted : 05/14/2017 7:04 am

My derm ensure me that if I follow the correct procedure for this med all the side effect will go after Accutane,
if ur worried u can ask a doc, or u can wait for a month or so to see if u get any better
both ways drink loads of water, water is always good

MemberMember
(@olliewickens)

Posted : 05/14/2017 3:52 pm

8 hours ago, Cecek said:

My derm ensure me that if I follow the correct procedure for this med all the side effect will go after Accutane,
if ur worried u can ask a doc, or u can wait for a month or so to see if u get any better
both ways drink loads of water, water is always good

Okay, thank you very much :) x

MemberMember
(@graciep)

Posted : 05/15/2017 6:55 am

14 hours ago, OllieWickens said:
Okay, thank you very much :) x

Hi! i don't want to scare you, just give you my experience. I finished my course over a month ago and i was on 60 mg per day (weigh 110). My side effects while i was on accutane were god awful...i had dry cracked skin and lips, bloody noses, hair loss, joint pain, mood swings, depression, insomnia, my eyesight changed so much i needed to get a new prescription for my glasses, bleeding/oozing eczema on my body, and a few more. Luckily, a lot of these have gone away..but  a few haven't. I still get random bloody noses which I've never had before, my hair is falling out even more now, some joint pain, my face is still so sensitive to the point that even just water sometimes burns and stings, and i still have the same changed eyesight (my optician said that its permanent). I don't know if they'll ever go away, but i just wanted to let you know i have these things even after its "out of my system" so it is possible for the side effects to last. this was my second time taking it, my first time was an amazing easy course and i dint have any side effects during or after, so i think every case and every person are different, you'll kind of just have to see. as said, stay hydrated and talk to your doctor, but dry mouth isn't the absolute worst that could happen, so hang in there, I'm sure it'll fade as your body starts to normalize again! :)

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 05/15/2017 1:53 pm

6 hours ago, GracieP said:
Hi! i don't want to scare you, just give you my experience. I finished my course over a month ago and i was on 60 mg per day (weigh 110). My side effects while i was on accutane were god awful...i had dry cracked skin and lips, bloody noses, hair loss, joint pain, mood swings, depression, insomnia, my eyesight changed so much i needed to get a new prescription for my glasses, bleeding/oozing eczema on my body, and a few more. Luckily, a lot of these have gone away..but  a few haven't. I still get random bloody noses which I've never had before, my hair is falling out even more now, some joint pain, my face is still so sensitive to the point that even just water sometimes burns and stings, and i still have the same changed eyesight (my optician said that its permanent). I don't know if they'll ever go away, but i just wanted to let you know i have these things even after its "out of my system" so it is possible for the side effects to last. this was my second time taking it, my first time was an amazing easy course and i dint have any side effects during or after, so i think every case and every person are different, you'll kind of just have to see. as said, stay hydrated and talk to your doctor, but dry mouth isn't the absolute worst that could happen, so hang in there, I'm sure it'll fade as your body starts to normalize again! :)

Gracie, can you please send your story to the  accutane review that is taking place in June. The email addresses have been posted but if you can't find them PM me, Thanks