Notifications
Clear all

Folliculitis or clogged pores? I hate my skin and I can't look at myself in the mirror..

MemberMember
(@littlechickadee)

Posted : 05/10/2017 11:15 pm

PLEASE READ, I would really appreciate any advice..

I've always had generally clear skin mind a few stubborn little skin colored bumps that would sometimes swell and become pimples but nothing super noticeable. In november - january, however, my skin was completely (and I mean COMPLETELY) clear and soft and supple - I had not changed my skincare or diet. I was starting to feel good about not having makeup on....and then in march the bumps began to come back.

Around that same time,  I developed a rash on my cheeks because I tried a new moisturizer in hopes that the bumps would go away. While I had the rash, I stopped my skincare routine and used only Cetaphil cleanser, Jojoba oil, sunscreen and aloe vera gel for about a week and a half in hopes that it would help the irritation. The rash went away but I noticed tiny bumps emerging from my forehead and the ones on my cheeks became more prominent. I didn't think much of it and continued with the skincare I used before.

The bumps spread and spread and spread. Some of them became inflamed acne which left scarring, some of them stayed as the bumps. My derm just said, "thats acne" and tossed me some Azelaic Acid. I've been using it since and although the pimples were no longer as swollen, the bumps seem to be spreading! They're along my hairline, sometimes in my hair, migrating along my eyebrows, on my cheeks, on my nose bridge, on my jaw and all over my forehead. It was not this bad before! I don't think clogged pores could spread like this in a span of a week (since each week it seems to move around on my face!)

I searched up folliculitis and it looks exactly like what I have. I've never had skin this bad before and its making me seriously depressed - I don't feel like eating or looking people in the eye or going out...

My question is, is this folliculitis? It doesn't itch on my face but I noticed the bumps came in clusters and I do have an itchy scalp. Also, I've had these bumps since I was a preteen and I always thought they were Keritosis Pilaris since I have that on my arms and legs, but now that I think about it, the affected areas move around on my face. I have dry, sensitive-ish skin that gets a bit oily under my eyes in the summer only (but thats the least affected area at the moment). I've tried glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid and nothing works! If it is folliculitis, could I treat it with tea tree oil or is Nizoral best? Thank you so much, I really really appreciate the help. (also what helps with the scarring :()

MemberMember
(@nicole_ca)

Posted : 10/27/2017 10:36 pm

Hi Little Chickadee I have the same problem happening. It sounds like folliculitis....that's what I have. Were you able to find a treatment that worked?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/28/2017 11:04 am

Simple course of oral anti biotics will clear up folliculitus.you find rash on the back of neck and on crown and sides of head above ears,temples.

go dr,font leave without oral anti biotics.
:)

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 10/28/2017 3:54 pm

@LittleChickadee

It's very easy to tell if it is folliculitis since it is caused by fungus or yeast infection. Apply anti-fungal cream to the problem area and see if it clears up. If the bumps remain, then you know it's not folliculitis.

BTW, folliculitis usually flares up during summer when weather is humid.

MemberMember
(@jessieluv20)

Posted : 11/19/2017 12:38 pm

I had this exact problem for years!! And I finally solved what to do! I always said if I figure out the solution i will come back to share it with others! I had this problem for probably about 8-10 years since I was younger, and the only way I could get rid of it was by squeezing them only I hated it cuz it would leave scars and red marks behind, I tried everything from OTC to prescription strength to diet to chemical peels etc. So, this summer I finally figured out the cure. I went and got a facial with EXTRACTIONS, and it was from the local spa, not a fancy dermatologist, AND heres the important part to keep them from coming back, I stopped using the face moisturizer that had oilin them, so stop using those jojoba oiland make sure you get one that says on it, OIL FREE. And I suggest a better cleanser, the cetaphil is not the best for taking off makeup, you can tell because if you tone afterwards it should have zero makeup residue on the cotton pad.The extractions get rid of them and the oil free moisturizer keeps them away. I promise you, try this, the extraction facial may be a little pricey, I paid 50 dollars, however it was worth it. And I actually went through it a second time, bout 2 months later because I ran out of the oil free moisturizer I had and started my old one, and BAM the closed comedones came back after using that moisturizer for only 1 week. Fortunately I didnt get that many so she didnt have to do much. So its been about 5 months now and my face is still bump free! My makeup looks flawless and if I dont want to, I dont have to worry about putting on makeup everyday to cover up my hideous acne.

Now my routine is:
Dermatologica Clean Start Wash Off Cleanser

Witch Hazel for toner

Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer with SPF 15