Notifications
Clear all

Anybody recently started or soon to be starting accutane/ isotretinoin treatment?

MemberMember
(@esh123)

Posted : 05/10/2017 3:30 pm

Hi,
I have just started my first round of roaccutane treatment.
I don't know anyone else that has really experienced significant acne let alone accutane, and I really feel alone (and terrified) in this experience. I was wondering if anybody else is in the same position as me and would want to support each one-another?

MemberMember
(@ozzie7576)

Posted : 05/13/2017 1:29 am

I began a low-dose course on Thursday

MemberMember
(@dandytsunami)

Posted : 05/13/2017 4:36 am

3 hours ago, ozzie7576 said:

how is it going

MemberMember
(@ozzie7576)

Posted : 05/13/2017 8:23 am

3 hours ago, DandyTsunami said:
6 hours ago, ozzie7576 said:

how is it going

So far, so good. I'm starting at just 10mg. After 14 days, I'm going to be on 10 one day & 20 the next for 14 days & then 20mg/day. Right around then is when I'll see the dermatologist again & we'll evaluate dosage.

I'm hoping to avoid an IB (as much as possible) and lessen lease into side effects. At the moment, my acne isn't severe. I don't tend to get severe, but my bad times are bad for me, and I'm in my 30s, an it is persistent. I'm going to miss the sun.

MemberMember
(@dandytsunami)

Posted : 05/13/2017 10:04 am

Keep me updated in really tryna figure out if i should go on accutane tell me when u get ur first breakout

MemberMember
(@ozzie7576)

Posted : 05/14/2017 1:00 am

I hope I don't have a severe breakout, but I'll post if anything unusual happens.
Today was day 3. I was itchy today & I swear my lips were dryer than usual. But this is so early in the course of treatment & I'm only taking 10mg, so I sort of suspect that's just coincidence or psychosomatic.

MemberMember
(@dandytsunami)

Posted : 05/14/2017 2:11 am

Hope you don't get a breakout thats the reason im not taking it

MemberMember
(@cecek)

Posted : 05/14/2017 4:30 am

I started on the 22nd of April :)

3 hours ago, ozzie7576 said:

I hope I don't have a severe breakout, but I'll post if anything unusual happens.
Today was day 3.  I was itchy today & I swear my lips were dryer than usual.  But this is so early in the course of treatment & I'm only taking 10mg, so I sort of suspect that's just coincidence or psychosomatic. 

Its never too early for the side effects.
my face was better the second day which I though was weird (FYI it was the quiet before the storm) and I stopped being oil literally the second day. People around me even noticed how better my face was the first week.
since ur having these side effects then u must moisturize more and constantly apply a good lip balm on ur lips! :) coz trust me it will get drier ... drier than u can ever imagine
I apply my moisturizer like 5 times a day minimum and yet I still have somewhat a dry face :(

ozzie7576 liked
MemberMember
(@ozzie7576)

Posted : 05/17/2017 12:21 am

I already apply lip balm all the time. I've increased the frequency during the day. For a few years, I've used pure lanolin at night. I love the stuff & may start using it some during the day, too.
So far, it seems like my face isn't any less oily. Yet.

MemberMember
(@missmj)

Posted : 05/20/2017 7:55 am

I can highly recommend lanolips! If you can't find it go to the chemist and you can just buy a tub of lanolin and put it in little containers. Much better than a Vaseline or petrolium base.

MemberMember
(@nikki_gargin)

Posted : 05/20/2017 9:37 am

On 17/05/2017 at 6:21 AM, ozzie7576 said:

I already apply lip balm all the time. I've increased the frequency during the day. For a few years, I've used pure lanolin at night. I love the stuff & may start using it some during the day, too.
So far, it seems like my face isn't any less oily. Yet.

There was a piece written by a dermatologist about Accutane, skin care on Accutane etc who states not to use Lonolin products interestingly and more interestingly not to use cetaphil (maybe contains it, that's the gist I got). I found it interesting because cetaphil really messed my skin up bad! gave me forehead acne which I have NEVER had. I just tried to find the article but I cant at the moment.

anyways I'm on day 2 on Accutane 30mg a day at the moment. No dry skin or lips yet although 2 hours after second dose I have this strange prickly heat feeling around the back of my neck, don't know if its related.

For my skin care I'm using quite gentle anti acne products (salicylic acid Clinique) (but have stopped BP) and a gel basednon comeodogenic moisturiser. I'm going to play it as it comes and if it need to be changed I will do that because everyone is different and everyones skin will behave differently. Just my mind tell me unblock pores don't block but when my face is peeling off maybe I wont care lol

I'm terrified of a big initial breakout esp when I go up to 60mg next month. I'm more worried about having it on my neck which is problematic at the moment but I guess theres nothing you can do if its going to happen.

MemberMember
(@ozzie7576)

Posted : 05/20/2017 3:08 pm

Pure lanolin doesn't have cetaphil in it. It is basically sheep sweat/wax. I can't imagine putting it anywhere other than lips (or nipples if you're breastfeeding), but I haven't gotten super-dry yet. I've never used cetaphil, so I can't say anything about it. Or were you saying that cetaphil contains lanolin? When I see the derm next (11 June), I'll ask if she has any strong feelings on lanolin for my lips.

I'm noticing what may be an IB on my back. It isn't what I expected. Just many very small whiteheads and a couple of large blackheads (which I haven't typically gotten before). We haven't really discussed what my target dose is going to be. She's letting me start super-low (10mg) and increase slowly as I feel comfortable. Once I hit 15 days, Ima going to start alternating 10 & 20, for another 15 days. (I think I'm repeating myself; sorry.)

My derm has me using Ducray Keracnyl gel cleanser & Avene Cleanance Hydra moisturiser. I have a lot of Cerave left, though, so I'm trying to use that up, too.