Notifications
Clear all

Should I take minocycline?

MemberMember
(@mild-breakouts)

Posted : 05/04/2017 4:01 pm

Hello!

i am a freshman in college. Throughout high school I was blessed with perfect skin. I never had to wash my face routinely, I would just wash it when I was in the shower. However, this fall, my skin started having issues. 
I started breaking out pretty bad and I figured out it was because of a new smoothie I was drinking regularly. I changed the smoothie recipe and I didn't have any major issues with the new one, a few breakouts here and there.
As of right now, my skin is.. blah. It's not horrible but like I said, I used to have perfect skin so I do not like how it looks now. I have a bunch of small bumps on my face with nothing in them and it just seems to be getting worse. About a month ago my doctor prescribed me sulfacleanse face wash and I've been using it as prescribed, but she also prescribed me minocycline. I have not taken it yet because I have read some pretty horrible things about it.. but I'm now wondering if I should give it a shot? I'm also cutting out all smoothies to see if that will make a difference .

sorry it took so long to get to the point here but I really need some advice! 

Also, I have makeup on in these pics.

IMG_7844.JPG

IMG_7845.JPG

IMG_7853.JPG

MemberMember
(@umas)

Posted : 05/06/2017 3:57 am

Nah, I wouldn't use minocycline in your situation, at least not now. First try some topicals. I would buy Benzoyl Peroxide and some topical retinoid(if you have blackheads). Use Benzoyl almost every night when you are going to sleep, and topical retinoid every 2-3 days. Don't use too much, because you skin can react in bad way(it can become too dry). Both can be bought without prescription.

MemberMember
(@calmhead)

Posted : 05/08/2017 9:00 am

May I know what kind of smoothie causing you this?
As for the advice, minocycline is a kind of antibiotic, which means it kills bacteria and reduce inflammation. I guess she might worry of using the exfoliate cleanser would break you out, just in case.

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 05/08/2017 12:46 pm

I went on minocycline for acne worse than yours. It cleared me up nicely but the acne always returned a few months after taking it. Your acne is mild, so maybe it would allow your skin to clear up and reset. I think it's a good idea. I had no side effects.