Notifications
Clear all

Acne at 38

MemberMember
(@saint127hotmail-com)

Posted : 05/01/2017 2:21 pm

I've always suffered with hormonal spots since I was 16, I've dealt with them over the years with birth control pill, benzoyl peroxide creams and recently antibiotics... within the last 6 months my skin has got worse I think it is due to a change in hormones due to my age(now 38) the spots I'm getting are larger and more aggressive and more of them
I'm thinking about accutane but wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/02/2017 7:12 am

Diet,finding out what actualy aggravates your skin if it is hormonal.

i changed my diet as i was clear everywhere but got nasty whitheads that got sore round my nose area and edge of mouth.

now i am pretty clear.

also hygene is important,no fingers and keep keep clean and clean your bedding.

even the detergents you use on your clothes and bedding can be an aggravating factor.

its a case of getting rid of what you got,getting rid of the topicals/spot creams and living without them as even they can aggravate your skin.then once its under control,change your diet and drink enough water abd then use a moisturiser thats good for your skin.

then only use spot cream on any active breakouts.this way your skin is in its natural environent.

try to stay stress free also,stress aggravates your hormones!
:)

MemberMember
(@mrfringe)

Posted : 05/03/2017 9:22 am

I'm male, 34 and still breakout.
I'm not far behind you.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/03/2017 2:55 pm

Your far behind,i am 50 O_O

MemberMember
(@nikki_gargin)

Posted : 05/07/2017 7:15 pm

28 a little behind you. I think modern day living has a lot to answer for to be honest. My mum is 61 and she said when she was younger she never used to see many adults with acne and now she is seeing it all the time. Interestingly whenever I go shopping to a town that has quite a lot of 'well off' people I notice more people with acne, also acne in men seems to be on the rise as well. I put this down to skin care products(especially in men who traditionally just would just wash their face with water) the market has them now suckered in, stressful lifestyles, social isolation and people being more 'health conscious'. All these thingsbar the skin care messes with your hormones. I know personally the moment I decided to 'get healthy' my health actually took a turn for the worse. Like these vaping websites who say the acne is from purging the toxins....sorry but your body doesn't store 20+ years of toxins and decide to purge it now you vape....it is clearly the vape. Its the same with juice cleaning, certain skin care (bar BHA and AHA which do purge the skin) its all these toxins magically disappearing......no it just doesn't agree with you. Personally I am pro Accutane if your acne has reached a level you can no longer manage it, I like to think of it as threshold, if your skin is that damaged and your hormones got that out of whack the p.acnes are thriving you need to shut the system down to restart again, then you can maintain with lifestyle, topical's, stress management, even dietary changes for hormonal health. Ultimately it is your decision but have a think about all the factors. wishing you the best.

MemberMember
(@charlie456)

Posted : 05/07/2017 9:25 pm

I am 39 and more recently had some minor acne resurface nearly 20 years after taking Roaccutane for cystic acne.
It could be from another medical condition, itcould be from a contraceptive pill I take, or it could be age, or a combination of all of the above - in my case.
I suggest going to the doctor and see what they suggest is best for you.

I was on Doxycycline last year for a while, actually and it worked pretty well...I nearly completed all of it, but stopped about a few weeks short on a 90 day course. The acne returnedabout a month ago after many monthsso I am now using a product similar to Sebamed. I think it has made a difference.
I tried Benzac (5% Benozyl Peroxide wash), but got on my lips by accident and it dried out to the point they were nearly splitting. So I stopped that and started awash similar to Sebamed and a spot treatment similar to their Clear Face (a generic New Zealand copy). I think both are ok and a lot more mild than Benzac.

I have only been using these products less than 2 weeks so hopefully as time goes on I'll see more results.

Last year I was also prescribed Differin gel, so I tried that again when my acne came back recently and it didn't seem to control it, it just dried skin out a lot.
Benzac was a lot better the few times I used it.
The Sebamed copy is ok too.

MemberMember
(@charlie456)

Posted : 05/07/2017 9:45 pm

PSI am not going backon Roaccutane myself, as I don't think it's necessary as antibiotics or creams clearly work for me for such minor acne.
(Also, I've been on it before, of course and that was for fairly severe face and back acne. I don't look like that and haven't for two decades, so clearly it worked!)

MemberMember
(@o-wow)

Posted : 05/12/2017 8:51 pm

If you've taken antibiotics in the past, it's possible that your acne is caused by excessive gut yeast. I took a GI map test and found this to be the case for me. I've been taking antimicrobial supplements (along with candida diet) since and my acne has reduced greatly.