Notifications
Clear all

Advice Needed: Doxycycline & Differin Treatment

MemberMember
(@kelseyann24)

Posted : 04/25/2017 6:13 am

Hi Guys,

Been on doxy & differin cream for ~ 1.5 months. Had initial purging in the first 2 weeks, then things started getting better. As well as these medications I am on the combined pill, I have been drinking lots of water, I've been going gym 3 times a week and I've been using sunbeds once a week (I KNOW THIS IS NOT ADVISED ON DOXY! but I haven't burned). I wear makeup maybe 2 days a week (if that) and when I wear it it's only concealer and powder.

Last week I went abroad for work for a few days. I've since come back with massive breakouts - my skin is worse now than when I started the treatments. I stuck to the antibiotics when I was out there as well as the cream. I also wore 0 makeup the whole time I was there. I have big ugly red marks which have appeared in the wake of the many zits I've had and I feel/look disgusting. Literally don't know what to do.

Basically guys I'm wondering if anyone else have had this experience with doxy? I know the full course is 3 months, but has anyone got to this halfway mark, experienced bad breakouts, but stuck the treatment out till the end and seen significant results? I'm unsure if I should go to my doctor and ask for something else. I was on Lymecycline when I was 17 (I'm 22 now) and it worked wonders within a month or so, then stayed away for years (whilst on the pill also). I've also been on Duac and Zineryt lotions for very mild breakouts end of last year, and they also worked wonders, until significant stress hit me and eventually I became resistant to them (I was off the pill at this point too).

Many thanks for any advice,

Kelsey

MemberMember
(@calmhead)

Posted : 05/08/2017 12:41 am

Many people said they've experienced rollercoaster like skin condition within the first 3 months. Really noticing the result when you reach the month 3. I am currently at 1.5 month mark too, I'm purging like hell as well. : )
How are you doing now?

MemberMember
(@kelseyann24)

Posted : 05/16/2017 3:21 am

I have changed to lymecycline now, the doxy really wasn't doing anything by 2 months and so me and my doctor agreed it probably isn't effective. I've been on lymecycline for a week but still at the same point. I purge, get huge whiteheads,they go and then another small lump just turns into the most massive inflamed whitehead ever! It's so horrid. How're things going for you? Hopefully better!

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 05/17/2017 10:29 am

I think you may be purging from the differin? it lasts for quite a while probably was about 6 weeks until i stopped breaking out bad. im now on week 7 of differin and not breaking out as bad so hopefully you will stop soon too.

MemberMember
(@kelseyann24)

Posted : 05/17/2017 6:51 pm

8 hours ago, BlueSoup said:

I think you may be purging from the differin? it lasts for quite a while probably was about 6 weeks until i stopped breaking out bad. im now on week 7 of differin and not breaking out as bad so hopefully you will stop soon too.

hmm maybe, I am still using it expect it's mixed with some BP now (cream is called epiduo). I guess that puts me on about 7-8weeks of differin use... still not much improvement, and all spots are turning into huge whiteheads. I think that's the BP though. Will continue to use it, I doubt it can make it worse that what it already is :(

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 05/18/2017 11:20 am

16 hours ago, KelseyAnn24 said:
hmm maybe, I am still using it expect it's mixed with some BP now (cream is called epiduo). I guess that puts me on about 7-8weeks of differin use... still not much improvement, and all spots are turning into huge whiteheads. I think that's the BP though. Will continue to use it, I doubt it can make it worse that what it already is :(

My friend used to have quite bad acne, he went on epiduo and an antibiotic i think and now his acne is completely gone. He told me it took him 6 months for it to become clear completely. Im on week 7 of differin and still not seeing improvements either really :(. I also have prom in a month or so and really want to be clear for that but i dont think thats going to happen unfortunately :(

MemberMember
(@kelseyann24)

Posted : 05/22/2017 6:24 pm

On 18/05/2017 at 5:20 PM, BlueSoup said:
My friend used to have quite bad acne, he went on epiduo and an antibiotic i think and now his acne is completely gone. He told me it took him 6 months for it to become clear completely. Im on week 7 of differin and still not seeing improvements either really :(. I also have prom in a month or so and really want to be clear for that but i dont think thats going to happen unfortunately :(

oh really, that's encouraging to hear! :) Since I've been on this new treatment (14 days) I have seen some slow improvements I think - still getting spots but in general the activity seems to be calming down. I'm in the middle of exams right now, I know the stress doesn't help so I'm hoping when I'm done with those it will get better even more so! Aw I completely understand how you feel about prom, I am going on holiday in a few weeks too and so bad want it to get better by then. I guess it's good for us to be realistic, but a month is a long time and with differin I've read that once it starts working so to speak, it works really well! I'm currently on birth control too as an additional thing to try help with my acne, have you tried that at all? 

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 05/23/2017 9:27 am

14 hours ago, KelseyAnn24 said:
oh really, that's encouraging to hear! :) Since I've been on this new treatment (14 days) I have seen some slow improvements I think - still getting spots but in general the activity seems to be calming down. I'm in the middle of exams right now, I know the stress doesn't help so I'm hoping when I'm done with those it will get better even more so! Aw I completely understand how you feel about prom, I am going on holiday in a few weeks too and so bad want it to get better by then. I guess it's good for us to be realistic, but a month is a long time and with differin I've read that once it starts working so to speak, it works really well! I'm currently on birth control too as an additional thing to try help with my acne, have you tried that at all? 

Ahh, I'm doing my exams too at the moment. Still not much improvement really. And no I'm a boy so i think think it would be a good idea for me to go on that ahah. Do you have red acne marks from old acne? That's my worst problem I just have a lot of red, old spots

MemberMember
(@kelseyann24)

Posted : 05/24/2017 4:14 pm

On 23/05/2017 at 3:27 PM, BlueSoup said:
Ahh, I'm doing my exams too at the moment. Still not much improvement really. And no I'm a boy so i think think it would be a good idea for me to go on that ahah. Do you have red acne marks from old acne? That's my worst problem I just have a lot of red, old spots

oh right sorry! Yep those are my worst part too :( every spot turns big and red and leaves those dark red marks after. It's the worst because it makes me look like I have more active spots on my face than I actually have! I heard bio oil is good? At the moment I'm just waiting for the outbreaks to stop before I apply anything else to my face...

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 05/25/2017 7:19 am

15 hours ago, KelseyAnn24 said:
oh right sorry! Yep those are my worst part too :( every spot turns big and red and leaves those dark red marks after. It's the worst because it makes me look like I have more active spots on my face than I actually have! I heard bio oil is good? At the moment I'm just waiting for the outbreaks to stop before I apply anything else to my face...

Its so annoying i think AHA acid is meant to be good, i might buy a facial wash to use whilst im still on differin or something. Id be worried bio oil would break me out thats the only thing.

MemberMember
(@calmhead)

Posted : 05/25/2017 10:21 am

On 2017-5-16 at 4:21 PM, KelseyAnn24 said:

I have changed to lymecycline now, the doxy really wasn't doing anything by 2 months and so me and my doctor agreed it probably isn't effective. I've been on lymecycline for a week but still at the same point. I purge, get huge whiteheads,they go and then another small lump just turns into the most massive inflamed whitehead ever! It's so horrid. How're things going for you? Hopefully better!

I'm at week 9 Differin now.  So far so alright.  It's slowly getting better after the purging.  Some small clogs and many PIH left.  I hope that horrid white head of yours is already healed up. I did get one of them a week or two ago, but it never truly shows its head, it's really hidden deep.  I couldn't wait any more, so I forced it out, it was spectacular. lol

I saw the later reply you've mentioned bio oil.  I don't know it would help or not, but I wouldn't recommend using any other products while on a treatment.
Because it would confuse the current treatment outcome.  If it helps it's great, if not, you wouldn't know whether it's because of the bio oil or the treatment itself, you'll need to start(suffer) another 3 month of differin to get the answer you nearly get again.

MemberMember
(@rubyk)

Posted : 06/08/2017 10:38 pm

It took me 5 months to see almost completely clear skin with differin. Marks left sucks a LOT but I agree it's best to get the breakout under control before starting a new treatment. I still get little whiteheads which turns pink (not full blown pimple) and the differin takes care of it within 3-5 days.

Hang in there. There's really hope with differin. 3 months to see improvement and you might still get pimples up to 4th to 5th month. At least that's what happened to me.