Notifications
Clear all

Developed milia on isotretinoin?

MemberMember
(@chapinacutie)

Posted : 04/24/2017 11:19 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some insight and input on your experiences. This is my 2nd time taking accutane (first dosage happened about 9 years ago).

Long story short - I am finishing my 2nd month of Claravis (next week to be exact) and have noticed improvement in my skin (still breaking out here and there but the frequency is starting to slow down). However, I have noticed that in the last few weeks I have developed these flesh like bumps under my skin all over my face. I am calling it milia because based on my internet search, that is the closest thing that appears to be what I have. I have never had this type of skin issue before.

Did you guys get this while taking isotretinoin? Did it go away? Do they surface and become a breakout or just disappear? I had a few on my forehead but they are gone, however I am concerned at the number of ones on my cheek. I had some on my chin but a few turned into blemishes. I can't tell what is going on but I am a little embarrassed by the quantity of them on my cheek. I cannot hide it with my makeup because they are not a head nor are they red and it just makes the texture of my skin look super bumpy. I'd also be really sad if all of these bumps will turn into breakouts because my skin has been fairly tolerable thus far.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@andrear)

Posted : 04/30/2017 2:00 am

Are you sure they are milia or sure they are because of the drug itself. I have these on my skin they look like bright white skin but feel bumpy to the touch. I've had them most of my life, would usually appear on the forehead but I've noticed a few come to the fore on my deep scar areas on my cheeks. They should come to the surface on roaccutane if u think that this drug is designed to renew your skin quickly to remove any impurities milia being one of those.
I have chosen to get rid of mine by poking it with a sterile needle and getting rid of it, while on roaccutane this is not without issue as you might know, purposefully scratching the skin and injuring it prolongs the healing period and looks bad at first. However if you can be patient, you could wait it out and see if by the end of your course that are gone. I have left a few because they are near some scarred portion of my face which I don't want to make that area any worse as there is no chance it will heal smooth.
Dermalotogists offer milia removal at their clinics so if they were still a problem after treatment you could investigate and have them removed.
HTH
A. x