Notifications
Clear all

Bleaching Skin?

MemberMember
(@nietniet)

Posted : 04/24/2017 1:38 pm

My mother got mad at me because she claims that I am bleaching my skin and she is afraid that I am going to damage my skin. She got so mad that she told my Aunt and my Aunt had to talk to me about skin bleaching and she seemed very disappointedand I felt really embarrassed. I am 21 and I don't understand why she is doing this to me? I don't consider myself bleaching my skin but I want my skin to look less dull without foundation and I don't want any dark marks on my face.

This is my skincare routine:

Every Morning:
Vi Derm cleanser (azelaic acid, aloe vera, willow bark, etc.)
Obaji Toner
Nu Fountain Vitamin C

Night 1:
Cetaphil
Obaji Toner
Alpha H liquid Gold

Night 2:
Body Merry Glycolic Cleanser
Obaji Toner
no moisturizer

Night 3:
Cetaphil
Obaji Toner
Paula's choice 8% AHA

In addition, I visited a dermatologist and she told me that I have Post Inflammatory hyperpigmentation on the right side of my face. So she advised me to use cetphil cleanser and put hydroquinone 4% by Obaji only on the PIH morning and night and that is exactly what I do. So, I only use and hydroquinone and on the PIH and no where else morning and night. She told me to use it for 3 months and then to discontinue.

Is my skincare routine bad and would you consider myself 'skin bleaching' like my mother states?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 04/25/2017 6:43 am

Hydroquinone is skin bleach and does help with PIH.

But this is the standard treatment for PIH, along with Vitamin C serum.

I cannot advise you on what to do with your mother, as this is a treatment for PIH, it's up to you to decide.

Please see the faq for more info.

We made a faq to this frequently asked question

https://www.acne.org/hyperpigmentation.html