Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello all,

My name is Harvey and I suffered from severe acne from the ages 13-15. In this post I'm going to tell you how I got rid of my acne covered face, and made it acne free. Firstly, here's my story.

I had tried almost everything, antibiotics, benzoyl peroxide, face masks etc... the list goes on. Nothing had worked for me, so my dermatologist suggested that I start a course on Isotretinoin, more commonly known as Accutane. I started on 30mg, and had not much hope. I was constantly panicking about the breakouts on accutane, skin dryness, allergic reactions and so on. I was totally overthinking everything, it would actually all be okay.

My acne got worse and worse, accutane appeared to be useless. My dermatologist upped my dosage to 40mg, and suggested I use Epiduo benzoyl peroxide too (to use once a day in the evenings) . Still, my acne was bad, and was seeing no signs of improvement. Then I took the acne.org quiz (http://www.acne.org/personalized-advice.html). This is where the improvement started to happen.

It gave me VERY useful tips, like not to have long hot showers, clean your face twice a day, do not touch your face, be gentle when applying products to face and some others. I stopped using E45 on my face to combat the dryness, and started usingCetaphil moisturising cream. This was much lighter on the face, and was just as effective at stopping/combating dryness. I also started to use Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser. I applied both of these in the morning and evening.

I was still not seeing results, but suddenly, my acne dramatically cleared up in about two weeks. I was virtually spot free! I want this story to show you that you need to stay faithful and positive! I had such bad acne, and in basically two weeks it was all gone. The same can happen to you!

So... here is why I think my skin cleared up,

1. I stopped having long hot showers, and Instead had shorter cooler showers

2. I started to wash my face twice a day with Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser

3. I started to use Cetaphil moisturising cream (non-comodogenic) instead of heavy, oily E45

4. I was on Accutane

5. I was more gentle with my face

6. I stopped picking/popping my spots

7. I drank lots of water

8. I did not eat as many greasy/sugary foods

9. I started going to the gym 3 times a week

10. I started having a fruit smoothie every morning (nutribullet).

I hope this has helped you! I have attached a picture of what it was like at its worst and now at its best :) 

PS: Accutane is totally worth it!!!

1492541697329.jpeg

1492541707420.jpeg

1492541717124.jpeg

1492541730988.jpeg

Edited by mr.t152

Wow thats amazing! Those tips are great. I think the number 7, drinking lots of water is a MUST. Congrats on your new acne free skin!

yo this is nice and gives me hopes. im happy for you man. & im gonna switch to the Cetaphil products you use and i already do the rest of the things you do besides being on accutane and drinking a fruit smoothie every morning. Also, where do you get accutance?

It will all be alright, you're not going to have acne for the rest of your life! I know how tough it can be though, that's the reason I made this article to help people like you. I get my accutane prescribed by my dermatologist. The way you can get it is just find the nearest derm to you and book an appointment. They'll 'assess' your skin and tell you what they think is best. Here in the U.K. It's all free, but it may be different where you are. Also Cetaphil is great! Does the job perfectly without clogging pores etc.

14 minutes ago, idecfml said:

yo this is nice and gives me hopes. im happy for you man. & im gonna switch to the Cetaphil products you use and i already do the rest of the things you do besides being on accutane and drinking a fruit smoothie every morning. Also, where do you get accutance?

accutane is a very very serious drug and you need to research it before you even think about anything else. Its not easily available and a dr or dermatologist has to write a perscription.

acne is a very dangerous medicine,  my friend took it numbers of red bump flared up on the face it not only hurt organs but also let people thinking about suicide

I think you mean accutane. It can be 'dangerous' yes but none of it is permenant damage. Only a very small percentage of people who take it get suicidal thought. I and and many others I know who have been on it did not get this side effect.

Edited by mr.t152