Notifications
Clear all

Breaking out-caused by makeup?

MemberMember
(@starchica3)

Posted : 04/18/2017 7:28 am

Hey everyone,

I have been on the regimen successfully for a few years now, and have added in some new makeup products recently. I started breaking out on my chin in 4-5 zits yesterday and I think it's related to the new makeup. I wanted to know if anyone has suggestions about applying loose or pressed powder? I tried brushes but after a week or so, I started breaking out. Also, I noticed on the acne.org website, it is recommended to use a clean, dry powder puff. So, I have been using a clean, dry powder puff to apply Nyx HD Loose Setting powder everyday for the last week. After I apply the powder, I wash the powder puff in warm water with antibacterial dish detergent (Palmolive) and let it air dry until the next day. However, after this last week of trying the powder puff, I am once again breaking out. :(  

1. Do you think the breakouts are caused by the powder, powder puff, or the way I clean it?
  2. Do you think the Nyx powder is bad for acne-prone skin? The only ingredient is 100% silica. 

Any help is soooooo very much appreciated! Powder makeup looks so much better on me than liquid, so I am sad that it may be causing these breakouts. :(

MemberMember
(@residentevil)

Posted : 04/18/2017 11:02 am

What other products have you introduced into your makeup regimen? I haven't come across anything or anyone stating that silica should or would cause breakouts, so that's likely not the culprit. I'm pretty sure the way you wash your powder puff is fine as well. Usually I just wash my makeup applicators with my face wash because acne has made me paranoid to wash them with anything else. I don't believe it is the setting powder, but it is probably another new makeup product!

MemberMember
(@starchica3)

Posted : 04/19/2017 4:56 pm

Hi ResidentEvil,

Thanks so much for your reply! That's good to hear that silica doesn't seem to have a history of causing skin issues in general. I have also introduced a primer (Benefit Pore-fessional primer) and an additional moisturizer that I started using on top of 1 pump acne.org + 1 pump AHA at night only. The new moisturizer is the Neutrogena Hydroboost gel-cream moisturizer. I have used that moisturizer alone at night without breaking out, so maybe the primer or layering 2 moisturizers at night is the culprit?

Thanks so much for your reply :)

MemberMember
(@residentevil)

Posted : 04/19/2017 7:13 pm

I definitely wouldn't mix moisturizers because you don't know how the ingredients act together, so I say stick to the one that works for you and doesn't cause breakouts. Then you can use that moisturizer in conjunction with your topicals. Looking at the benefit pore-fessional primer, the ingredients seem to be good from what I've researched, I'd just be careful of the dimethicone in it, which creates a barrier over your skin so if it isn't fully clean It can trap dead skin cells and other bacteria into your pores. Always do some trial and error. Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@starchica3)

Posted : 04/20/2017 12:13 pm

Sounds good, thank you for this excellent advice!! :) I'm going to go back to using only the acne.org moisturizer/AHA at night and see how it goes. I appreciate your help! Have a wonderful day!! 

MemberMember
(@skyesthelimit)

Posted : 04/21/2017 5:41 am

Before I read your entire post, I was about to say that you might just be allergic or sensitive to an ingredient or two in your make-up or you might have used another product together with what you currently use, so there you go. :) 

MemberMember
(@quds-khan)

Posted : 05/14/2017 2:16 pm

Where do i get the acne.org treatment in Pakistan