Notifications
Clear all

Huge cyst on face!

MemberMember
(@comelygong)

Posted : 04/13/2017 12:49 pm

Hi so it's been a few months I have had a huge cyst on my face. It's killing me inside I won't go outside I won't hangout without friends I spend my time in the bathroom at school at lunch barley talk to anyone. I've never been like this I always had so much confidence. About 3 months ago I had a blind pimple 2 of them really close to each other I didn't do anything then they combined and formed a large cyst on my face. I was prescribed antibiotics like minocyline and it worked but not that much now I'm taking tetracycline. My doctor referred me to a dermatologist and it's going to take 3 months! :( I also use clindamycin/Benzoyl Peroxide Gel not doing much my doctor said I need accutane but he said he can't prescribe it. I'll include some pictures thank you.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 04/13/2017 2:42 pm

Are you in the UK by any chance? I had to wait 3 months to see a dermatologist as well and it's an absolute killer. Like you, I wouldn't even leave my house for the whole 3 months. I would strongly advise not poking it with a needle, as you're only likely to cause the infection to spread and/or make it scar really badly.

Things your doctor can prescribe that will help are:
Flucloxacillin - this is a seriously strong antibiotic that will clobber most infections and really brought my cysts down when they were at their worst.
Prednisolone or some other oral steroid - they may be reluctant to do this for acne but when it gets this bad and you can't get isotretinoin then I think a short course is warranted. Taking that for around a week would seriously bring down the inflammation.

So I would make another appointment because your doctor isn't as powerless as they make out, they just need to think outside the box a little more to medications that they are allowed to prescribe. I'd also recommend Epiduo as the best topical I've tried. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@comelygong)

Posted : 04/13/2017 5:43 pm

2 hours ago, MoonlitRiver said:

Are you in the UK by any chance? I had to wait 3 months to see a dermatologist as well and it's an absolute killer. Like you, I wouldn't even leave my house for the whole 3 months. I would strongly advise not poking it with a needle, as you're only likely to cause the infection to spread and/or make it scar really badly.

Things your doctor can prescribe that will help are:
Flucloxacillin - this is a seriously strong antibiotic that will clobber most infections and really brought my cysts down when they were at their worst.
Prednisolone or some other oral steroid - they may be reluctant to do this for acne but when it gets this bad and you can't get isotretinoin then I think a short course is warranted. Taking that for around a week would seriously bring down the inflammation.

So I would make another appointment because your doctor isn't as powerless as they make out, they just need to think outside the box a little more to medications that they are allowed to prescribe. I'd also recommend Epiduo as the best topical I've tried. Good luck!

The thing is I only have the cystic acne on that part of my face. Also how bad does this cyst look ? Should I get it surgically removed? I also live in Canada . Thanks

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 04/13/2017 6:56 pm

Im sorry your going through this. Cysts are the worst kind of acne I reckon. I dont think surgically removed is a good idea. I know 3 months is a long wait. (The dermatologist I wanted to see has a 14 month long waiting list! So I had to pick somebody else). My derm gave me a perscription for epiduo and I know drs CAN perscribe this. Its knowing as a low dose cream version of roaccutane (well accutane to you, but im in Australia so its roaccutane). Epiduo is VERY good. BP stopped working for me after 10 years so thats why I needed this cream. Its definitely worth asking your dr for. My acne is cysts too and this cream gets rid of them. Im now at the 3.5 week mark and i have ZERO cysts.

MemberMember
(@comelygong)

Posted : 04/14/2017 10:14 am

15 hours ago, Rachie39 said:

Im sorry your going through this. Cysts are the worst kind of acne I reckon. I dont think surgically removed is a good idea. I know 3 months is a long wait. (The dermatologist I wanted to see has a 14 month long waiting list! So I had to pick somebody else). My derm gave me a perscription for epiduo and I know drs CAN perscribe this. Its knowing as a low dose cream version of roaccutane  (well accutane to you, but im in Australia so its roaccutane). Epiduo is VERY good. BP stopped working for me after 10 years so thats why I needed this cream. Its definitely worth asking your dr for. My acne is cysts too and this cream gets rid of them. Im now at the 3.5 week mark and i have ZERO cysts. 

Thank you very much for the help! ;)