Notifications
Clear all

How Long Did Spironolactone Take to Clear Your Acne?

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 04/12/2017 3:49 am

Hi guys, looking to hear some experiences of Spironolactone treatment courses please! Question is in the title really.... Did Spironolactone successfully clear your acne and if so how long did it take?

I've been taking Spironolactone now since the last week of December, so about 16 weeks in total, but in that time I did increase the dose gradually, starting initially on 50mg a day, then 100mg, and now 150mg for the past 6 weeks or so. My skin has definitely improved and I have experienced some clear periods lasting up to a week at a time on occasion, but I always seen to regress and break out again every time I think it's finally working and clearing me up for good. 

Anyone able to share experiences of how long it took to clear you? Should I persist with this treatment or try something else? (My dermatologist is planning to try a long low-dose course of Isotretinoin if this doesn't work but I'd much rather stick with this if it will properly clear me).

Thank you :)

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 04/13/2017 3:06 pm

Anyone with experience of Spironolactone treatment please?

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 04/15/2017 6:24 am

Nobody? :( I have my next dermatologist appointment on Tuesday and will probably have to decide whether or not to change tactic and go for Isotretinoin then so I would really appreciate anybody sharing their experiences (successful or otherwise and the timescale) with Spironolactone please. I know lots of people here have taken it, so please please share if you can. Thank you.

MemberMember
(@363085_1443950141)

Posted : 04/22/2017 4:24 pm

I am out on a month intotreatment and it's definitely making an improvement. My back and chest have cleared , but my face is not 100% clear. I still get a few breakouts here and there but they aren't as severe as before.
I have definitely noticed A reduction in oil but it's only been slight. The first day or first week I was very dry and thrilled with no oil But the oil came back. However even though I'm still oily, I would say I'm about 75% clear.
I started out on 50 mg and after a month and a half I bumped it up to 75 mg. I just passed the two month mark and if I don't have a complete clearing by month fourI'm going up to 100 mg.
I know I sound impatient And I guess I am a little.
I highly recommend this drug but you have to have patience because it does take time to work . I cleared completely on Yaz birth control but don't want to take it because of the health risks I feel that Spyro is the safer choice and overall I'm very happy with my decision. The fatigueand lightheadedness are worth every bit of clear skin.
I noticed if I drink a lot of water the side effects aren't as bad .
if your acne is hormonal I say stick with the treatment for at least 4 to 6 months.

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 04/23/2017 3:41 pm

23 hours ago, 363085_1443950141 said:

I am out on a month intotreatment and it's definitely making an improvement. My back and chest have cleared , but my face is not 100% clear. I still get a few breakouts here and there but they aren't as severe as before.
I have definitely noticed A reduction in oil but it's only been slight. The first day or first week I was very dry and thrilled with no oil But the oil came back. However even though I'm still oily, I would say I'm about 75% clear.
I started out on 50 mg and after a month and a half I bumped it up to 75 mg. I just passed the two month mark and if I don't have a complete clearing by month fourI'm going up to 100 mg.
I know I sound impatient And I guess I am a little.
I highly recommend this drug but you have to have patience because it does take time to work . I cleared completely on Yaz birth control but don't want to take it because of the health risks I feel that Spyro is the safer choice and overall I'm very happy with my decision. The fatigueand lightheadedness are worth every bit of clear skin.
I noticed if I drink a lot of water the side effects aren't as bad .
if your acne is hormonal I say stick with the treatment for at least 4 to 6 months.

Hi, thank you so much for the response and the encouragement! Your first month sounds kind of similar to mine actually as my chest was the first to clear as well, but the face is being more persistent. It's definitely better than before I went on the drug so I do think it's helping (and my dermatologist thinks it's helping even more than I do), but I am still frustratingly breaking out. I'm on 100mg at the moment and giving it a bit longer to see if it will be able to completely clear me. Really praying it will because I don't really want to change to isotretinoin and I'm sure my acne is hormonal because I got clear on Dianette once before. Here's hoping both of us see the improvements we want soon!

MemberMember
(@jdsu16)

Posted : 06/27/2017 4:33 pm

May I ask what kind of acne you have? I was just started on 100mg Spiro today and have mostly severe closed comedones. I'm so nervous..i really wish the derm would've just started me on accutane today, but i have to give this 2 months 

MemberMember
(@kenzie1211)

Posted : 07/03/2017 5:05 pm

I would say it took me about 5 months before I could remember the last time I had a pimple

MemberMember
(@uptowndollar)

Posted : 07/04/2017 4:07 pm

In regards to spiro, my acne hasn't 100% cleared. I would say that it is much better as I only get one or two small zits at a time.

I haven't been lucky enough to stay 100% clear longer than 5 days but I know that hormones and stress playa huge role in my acne. Spiro can't fix stress!

Stay positive as I know spiro will help with hormonal acne. If you don't clear maybe see what other factors could be causing it.

Best of luck!
-Meg