Notifications
Clear all

Long term results with doxycycline & BP

MemberMember
(@alismyler)

Posted : 04/11/2017 12:34 pm

Hi 

I know this is unlikely since if you're clear of acne you're not likely to still be on this forum but...

has anybody had any positive long long term results from using doxycycline with Duac? (Benzoyl peroxide) more so with adult acne acne as I hear this is FAR more stubborn.

I have just been prescribed doxy, however all I'm seeing is people say acne comes back worse a few months after taking. Naturally this is putting me off taking it and I'm just thinking either exhaust every natural option or opt for roaccutane?

I have mild  to moderate acne btw, but very persistent  

MemberMember
(@umas)

Posted : 04/11/2017 3:03 pm

Most people don't have long term success with oral antibiotics. It is how it is. Although they can help in more severe forms of acne to get it under controle, and then maintain topical route. So it kinda is possible for you to doxycycline have positive long term effect, but only if you maintain it with topicals, and even then I would say it's less than 50% chance that antibiotics will help long-term(as in longer than half year after you finish with them).
And I never spoke with a person that was "cured" with antibiotics.

MemberMember
(@akemp024)

Posted : 04/15/2017 9:31 am

I am currently in a similar situation. I took doxycycline for 9 months and it completely cleared up my skin. It has been almost 1.5 years of being off of it and my acne has come back a lot worse. My doctor wants to prescribe me doxy again but I'm trying to do all that I can to figure out the root of the problem.