Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welp, after around 4 years of being off of Accutane, my acne has returned. Not as bad as it was in my junior year of high school, but I'm getting more and more painful nodular cysts on my back and neck. I'm currently 21, a junior in college. I've decided to go back on Accutane, hopefully for the  last time.

My dermatologist has started me off on a dose of 80mg/day of Absorica. That equates to about 1mg/kg per day. I weigh 175 lbs. give or take. As of the time of this post, it has been 10 days since I've started the cycle, so my first entry will be day 10. Approximately every 10 days I'll report back with my progress. Here goes!

Day 10 (4/11/17): My face is peeling pretty badly, and my lips are getting dry. I'm using Curel Ultra Healing Lotion on my face, neck, and arms after showering, throughout the day, and at night. I'm also using Aquafor on my lips before I go to bed each night, and in the morning. My scalp is also very dry and itchy. I'm noticing some dandruff, but I'm hesitant to use Head & Shoulders every day because I don't want my scalp to dry out even more. I'm currently using H&S maybe once every 3 days, and simply using conditioner the rest of the days. My hair looks dried out, and I'm noticing slightly more hairs falling out than usual. No other side effects besides skin/scalp dryness. I have 2 pretty big and painful cysts on my neck, and 1 on my back. Aside form that, I have a few more smaller cysts on my neck and back, and some minor pimples on my chest. I feel generally positive, although I'm really self-conscious about the cysts on my neck and it's definitely hurting my confidence. I'm also worried the dandruff will get worse to the point where it's very noticeable. I'm gonna look into getting a better scalp moisturizer.

Edited by spaloosh

Day 20 (4/20/17): Lips are super dry, but my face isn't peeling as bad as the first 10 days. My skin in general is really dry—not surprising. To address my dry scalp/dandruff, I purchased OGX Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco Intense Moisturizing Treatment. I've been using it every day, and have been limiting using Head and Shoulders to around twice a week. Overall, the dandruff has become less severe and my scalp feels less dry. I have multiple really painful cysts on the back of my neck. They seem to be drying out fast, but are still lingering. Plus, a couple more have broken out in the past couple days. It sucks because it's getting warm and I'm self-conscious about wearing t-shirts—I usually wear a sweatshirt so I can hide the cysts on the back of my neck. Only 2 weeks of class left though, so at least I won't have to worry about feeling self-conscious in class too much longer. I have a dermatologist appointment tomorrow, and I'm gonna see if I can get some of these cysts injected.