Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hellokitty212

I am making a documentary on the psychological aspect of acne

Hey there guys.

I used to suffer from very bad acne. I have been on a variety of medications and am currently on Dianette which is masking my acne (making the switch to Yasmin very soon). I used to suffer from quite bad depression and anxiety because of my acne. I would refuse to leave the house, felt conscious that people were staring at my skin whilst talking to me and felt extremely insecure. I would think about my skin 24/7.

I'm in my final year of studying Broadcast Journalism at University/College and I am making a documentary about the psychological impact of acne. I have interviewed many people who have experienced acne and the extent of psychological suffering they have experienced. Some felt self conscious but were able to carry on with their daily lives, others felt quite depressed and wouldn't leave the house. I have interviewed a psychologist who has been studying acne patients' experiences of living with the condition and am due to interview a dermatologist about their views about the psychological distress and if further help is required to tackle these impacts. I will also be interviewing a skin charity.

The reason I am telling you all of this, is because I want to represent/explore a range of views in regard to this issue. I think more awareness needs to raised about the psychological impact of acne, especially to those who have never experienced acne. I am hoping to send my documentary to festivals.

I have a Facebook page for my documentary if you wish to like it and keep up to date. It will be released on the 26th of may but sneak peeks will be released over the upcoming weeks. https://www.facebook.com/SkinDeepTheDocumentary/ / (If links can't be used it is the usual face book dot com with a forward slant SkinDeepTheDocumentary).

I would love to hear your views on the psychological impact and also your personal stories. Let me know below, let's chat.

Sending much love.

• Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes