Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GuardedlyOptimistic

ALA Photodynamic Light Therapy:

This is a follow up to my post above regarding my experience with PDT. It's been about 4 1/2 days since my 1st treatment and the redness is mostly gone (75-80%). Right now, my skin is definitely starting to peel in some places or hardening to get ready to peel. It feels as if a small thin film is all over your face and you just want to scratch it off. Around my nose skin was flaking off (ya sounds disgusting I know) so I took a warm damp towel and gently rubbed it to remove the dead layer of skin. I've only taken off a small part but I can definitely tell my "new" skin is smoother. Also, I could practically see the pores at that place last week but now I have to look really really close in the mirror to see them. Red pigmentation spots are less visible too. Again, this is only on 10% of my skin because the rest isn't 100% ready to peel yet, maybe in a day or two, but so far it looks promising, I'll try not to get my hopes up too much. Lastly, they say to do this treatment on a friday, rest the weekend and you're ready for work/school monday...this is possible, but you'll have some redness and/or flaking on monday for sure...it takes around 4-5 days for the redness to fully go away but then you start peeling (so maybe a week before everything is 100% back to normal - no redness, no flaking) I'll keep you guys posted in a day or two as more of my skin starts peeling and I'll see if the results are similar all over my face.

Would someone please describe for me the level of pain or discomfort associated w/ PDT? My daughter is scheduled for her first treatment, and is quite apprehensive. TY!

The pain level is minimal, for me it was a 2 or 3 max on a scale of 10. There's only slight tingling, which is good because it means its working. Anyway, to follow up on my previous posts, It's been a week since my 1st treatment and 90% of the redness and peeling is gone. In some places, like on my cheekbones, there is hardly a difference (still have light red spots there, no pimples). On my nose and forehead though, things seem smoother and pores are smaller. I can tell oil production, especially on my nose, has decreased quite a lot. I would say overall there is a 30-40% improvement on my skin. The derm said it might improve more as the weeks go by and I'm scheduled for my 2nd (and it will be my last, very expensive) treatment in a month. I'll let you guys know what happens in the meantime if I see changes.

I would also be interested to know if ALA-PDT is available in the UK! I have exhausted most of the standard topical and oral treatments now without a great degree of success, and although it's been offered, I don't really want to take roaccutane. After extensive searching on the web I have yet to find even a mention of it being offered here, which is disappointing. I have found centres which use it for BCC treatment however, so might be worth phoning one up to see if they'd do it for acne as well, (for example http://www.theregencyclinic.co.uk). Maybe it hasn't been approved by the EU or something?

I just had my first ALA treatment almost two weeks ago. I am a little confused though. I did notice that some of my old scars softened up and some of the red/brown marks faded a little. I also noticed a slight decrease in oil on my face, but not by much. AND it has been two weeks since my treatment and I am still breaking out. That hasn't stopped.

I am not sure what to think, I have my appoinment on Thursday, so I am hoping to get some answers.

^

Usually you need 2-3 treatments before seeing significant results. After my first one, I only saw mild improvements (I have little but persistent acne), even after a month, but there WERE some slight changes for the better - less pimples, a bit less oil production - slightly smoother skin. Although when I went yesterday for my second treatment, my derm said there was a substantial difference, I just might not remember how bad it was a month or two ago. I had my second treatment, in recovery mode now. This will be my last one for a while as it's expensive and I'm not sure I need a third one (when the nurse applied the Levulan she asked me what the treatment was for, because she didn't notice much acne). If you do go all the way and have all 3 treatments, I can definitely see how it can clear up acne. I'll report in a few days on my second treatment.

I hope you do. I am very interested in hearing about your results. I know that everybody will experience different results, but it is nice to hear what other people have to say regarding their results/experience. Thanks.

I will probably do all three treatments or more if I have to. I have really persistant acne, especially around my jawline and neck. There was very little improvement in this area compared to the rest of my face.

Pretty much. If they're doing it in my town (which they are), you can bet it's fairly widespread. Because I don't exactly live in a place with "cutting edge" medical technology.

Just finished 2nd treatment of PDT (Levulan) w/ blue v-beam laser.

Some Acne came up, but not really any new ones. Skin is tighter and scarring has improved. Bumpy white scarring has disappeared.

Alright, I'll share my experience with the 3 treatments I had. I've had moderate acne for about 4 years and am now 18. The treatment it self isn't really painful, just the laser zaps feel like someone is pinching at your skin. It can be painful if you've got a cyst and they zap it.

1st: Skin felt tight the morning after. Around the third day, skin started peeling. Unfortunately, I had a mild breakout around the 5th day. It reduced my redness, but left a darker skin tone and really didn't do much for my acne

2nd: No peeling happened this time. Face was still becoming very oily.

3rd: My face was clearing up, but mainly because I changed my regimen and started taking supplements. A slight improvement with this treatment, but still unsatisfied with the results.

Final thoughts: For $900 and now no facial hair growth in some areas, I'm not really impressed with the treatments. I'm am about clear, but I think my change in regimen (Using Clearogen, its awesome!), supplements, and not using my derm. prescribed cream can be attributed to that. I can say that my scarring and redness are milder because of the PDT treatments. I'd personally rate my experience with PDT around a C+. But as long my face is in better shape than before, I can't complain. Cheers and good luck to those who are considering and those who have/are received/receiving their PDT treatments.

This topic made me register here, so... hi everyone. I had three PDT (Levulan+Laser) treatments from December 2005-February 2006.

They worked well for me. I still have breakouts -- but they're usually much more confined to certain areas, and I hardly ever get big inflamed spots. I saw the most improvement in areas with old scars more than areas with real acne. Also I started to break out in some new places, I guess due to the "drawing out" effect, but that eventually went away.

I had a lot of dryness and redness after each treatment for four to five days. Actually, after the second one I got this weird rash on the side of my chin that I think was due to the sun hitting my face in the car (I covered it like you're supposed to, but not carefully enough that time) so if you are considering it make sure you have a big hat, and a thick towel if you're going to be in a car coming back from the appointment...!

Like it says in previous posts, you're supposed to have the minimum of three and go back about once a year for a refresher or touch-up kind of treatment. I haven't been back yet, even though it would probably be a good idea. My derm has given me a few glycolic acid peels since I finished the PDT, so I think those help my skin enough so that I don't feel a dire need for more lasers.

My skin has been permanently less oily, which is awesome. I used to feel the need to wash my face 4+ times a day, which I know was irritating to my skin, but after PDT I just wash morning and night. If it's relevant, I currently use plain Cetaphil twice a day and a topical antibiotic at night. And I'm taking the Pill, which does great things for my skin but makes me gain weight...

I never tried Accutane because I didn't want to risk the side effects for my "moderate" acne case. But for people who might wish for an alternative to Accutane, I definitely recommend looking into light therapy.

I had my second ALA+ Blu-U just over a week ago. This time my face really became red. The Blu-U made my skin feel like it was on fire, and after a few days my whole face was one huge scab. About a few days later my skin peeled, and was extremely itchy. It also burned where i was peeling. Now (11 days since 2nd treatment) my skin has peeled completely and is still pink/red (looks I got a bad sun burn) and I am breaking out, but they are all small with white tops.

Outcome:

My pores did become somewhat smaller, and my face is not at all oily like before. My scars are somewhat smoother, but not how I would want them to be, of coarse. I am just waiting for the initial breakout to go away. I have my RN visit this friday. I will probably do it again next month.

I am still unsure of how I feel about the whole treatment. I am happy that i am seeing some results, but at the same time I am feeling and just waiting for my acne to come back. I have moderate acne and it is very persistent. Maybe I just need more treatments.

During my 1st treatment, about 70% of my face turn really red. It took about 5 days to look "normal" again. I am going for my 2nd treatment tomorrow so is a little nervus... I think I might be like you turn much reder this time... :cry:

I had my second ALA+ Blu-U just over a week ago. This time my face really became red. The Blu-U made my skin feel like it was on fire, and after a few days my whole face was one huge scab. About a few days later my skin peeled, and was extremely itchy. It also burned where i was peeling. Now (11 days since 2nd treatment) my skin has peeled completely and is still pink/red (looks I got a bad sun burn) and I am breaking out, but they are all small with white tops.

Outcome:

My pores did become somewhat smaller, and my face is not at all oily like before. My scars are somewhat smoother, but not how I would want them to be, of coarse. I am just waiting for the initial breakout to go away. I have my RN visit this friday. I will probably do it again next month.

I am still unsure of how I feel about the whole treatment. I am happy that i am seeing some results, but at the same time I am feeling and just waiting for my acne to come back. I have moderate acne and it is very persistent. Maybe I just need more treatments.

During my 1st treatment, about 70% of my face turn really red. It took about 5 days to look "normal" again. I am going for my 2nd treatment tomorrow so is a little nervus... I think I might be like you turn much reder this time... :cry:

Outcome:

I have read most of this thread and sympathize will all who have faithfully posted. I have wanted to help my daughter for years, and have done a lot of research on the effectiveness of blue light therapies. Please read our thread on inexpensive solutions to the light only (415-420nm) therapy, which adds another weapon in the fight against acne. We are needing more people to try some of the fluorescent actinic 03 lights (found in aquarium stores and on line) as a daily or weekly regimen for effectiveness! If this works, even if only a little, it will be something everyone can do at home at far less cost than the doctor office, in addition to any other types of treatment.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Internet-...ts-t172034.html

My 3rd treatment happened @ the end of 4/2007. Bascially went through the same - red and peeling for couple of weeks... The skin under my chin and jawbone does not absorb the medication well, specially during the 3rd treatment. Therefore it does not get very red.

So far I am happy with the treatment. I still have blackhead/whitehead on my t-zone but I only need to clean them out once a month. I used to have a lot of small bumps all over my face and I would say 90% of them are gone. Most of the remain bumps are under my chin and jawbone. Both of my skin tone and texture has improved as a result.

My skin used to produce a lot of oil so anything I apply would not absorbe and become sticky. After the treatment, my skin type become norm/combo type and I can finally use moisturizer and toner! The Doc mention I might have to go in for one more treatment if the pimple comes back later. So far so good...

I think this is by far the best skin treatment money I have spended...

Outcome:

THank you very much for reporting your results. Glad this worked for you. -Dan

My 3rd treatment happened @ the end of 4/2007. Bascially went through the same - red and peeling for couple of weeks... The skin under my chin and jawbone does not absorb the medication well, specially during the 3rd treatment. Therefore it does not get very red.

So far I am happy with the treatment. I still have blackhead/whitehead on my t-zone but I only need to clean them out once a month. I used to have a lot of small bumps all over my face and I would say 90% of them are gone. Most of the remain bumps are under my chin and jawbone. Both of my skin tone and texture has improved as a result.

My skin used to produce a lot of oil so anything I apply would not absorbe and become sticky. After the treatment, my skin type become norm/combo type and I can finally use moisturizer and toner! The Doc mention I might have to go in for one more treatment if the pimple comes back later. So far so good...

I think this is by far the best skin treatment money I have spended...

Outcome:

not sure how active this thread is still.. but I have my second treatment tomorrow! I'll post some before/after pictures when I've finished all four treatments. hoping for the best! :dance:

Would this work for bacne?? I live in MN do you guys know where i can get this done? Some one mentioned University of Minnesota??

i've had pdt done multiple times. from my own experiences, i think that this will only help you to some extent. don't expect your skin to be really clear, less oily, or to stop you from breaking out. you also need to maintain it with tretinoin type creams.