Notifications
Clear all

Tea Tree Oil - Purging or Breakout?

MemberMember
(@cath946)

Posted : 04/03/2017 7:36 pm

Hi,

I've just begun using a new routine for my acne prone skin. I've used the cleanser in the past and it has helped my acne and oily skin without making my face feel dry/tight. It's been a year or so and I decided to go back to that cleanser and a new toner and moisturiser of the same brand, as my new routine wasn't working that well, only to find it has broken me out badly. I'm not sure if it is just purging or a breakout, as the acne is only in areas where I normally get it (forehead, nose, and chin). I've gotten a number of large inflamed whiteheads and a crazy amount of those pesky under the skin pimples. Any small spot I already had which had been lying dormant has now gotten red and inflamed. I've used these products for 4 days now. Please help. (Products listed below):

* Body Shop Tea Tree Foaming Cleanser
* Body Shop Seaweed Toner
* Body Shop Seaweed Gel - Moisturiser
* Benzac AC Gel 2.5% (previously used for months with no reaction)

Thank-you xx 

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 04/06/2017 4:45 am

I think its hard to tell after only 4 days. I know for me tea tree does make me breakout but for alot its great for their skin. I think try to push through for the next 6 weeks and if your still breaking out you might need to look into something else. But for now, stick with it. It sounds like a good routine.

MemberMember
(@mpigeon)

Posted : 05/02/2017 4:07 pm

Hey cath,

hmmm I think your zits shouldn't get inflammed! even if it's so little time. When the medice is working the skin should be always super clean and the bacteria under control.

Now that I have almost no acne and i stoped wearing make up, when i put tea tree oil, i realize it really takes the shit that is inward.. but like crazy inaward and that would breakout sooner or later in a really inflamed way. I started to notice that I only had breakouts with tea tree when i already had a deep dark mark in the place of the new zit, or a bump or something like that. So maybe it really does give you breakouts but they will probably be the last, cause it's deeply cleansing.

Maybe, you have a similar skin to mine, you might be super sensitive and stuff and chemicals simply don't work. I use a simple sulphur soap that cost like 2 euros that really exfoliates the skin gently, and afterwards I use tree tea oil. I always put a no chemical hydrant with any of that crap depending on how dry my skin is (it's cotton something by bioten, costs 5 euros).
It had an amazing result on my face, I bought a super cool mask of manuka honey that makes the marks go away and i don't even wear make up anymore and i used to be a real monster of acne. Seriously. Accutane didn't work on me. And Benzac was blah. Best part, I started doing this about 2 months ago.

Hope it helps, I know the struggle. <3
M

MemberMember
(@rickygunawan)

Posted : 08/25/2017 7:16 pm

On 4-4-2017 at 7:36 AM, cath946 said:

Hi,

I've just begun using a new routine for my acne prone skin. I've used the cleanser in the past and it has helped my acne and oily skin without making my face feel dry/tight. It's been a year or so and I decided to go back to that cleanser and a new toner and moisturiser of the same brand, as my new routine wasn't working that well, only to find it has broken me out badly. I'm not sure if it is just purging or a breakout, as the acne is only in areas where I normally get it (forehead, nose, and chin). I've gotten a number of large inflamed whiteheads and a crazy amount of those pesky under the skin pimples. Any small spot I already had which had been lying dormant has now gotten red and inflamed. I've used these products for 4 days now. Please help. (Products listed below):

* Body Shop Tea Tree Foaming Cleanser
* Body Shop Seaweed Toner
* Body Shop Seaweed Gel - Moisturiser
* Benzac AC Gel 2.5% (previously used for months with no reaction)

Thank-you xx 

Hi cath. I am currently using the same body shop foaming cleanser and body shop tea tree oil. Funny thing is, after 4 days, I also get a lot of whiteheads like you. And my skins get more oily( i think it is because this whiteheads)

i wonder how are your progress right now?

MemberMember
(@ash21)

Posted : 10/06/2017 1:31 pm

On 8/26/2017 at 8:16 AM, Rickygunawan said:
Hi cath. I am currently using the same body shop foaming cleanser and body shop tea tree oil. Funny thing is, after 4 days, I also get a lot of whiteheads like you. And my skins get more oily( i think it is because this whiteheads)

i wonder how are your progress right now?

Hi Ricky. What's funnier is I experienced the same thing loool. I just bought Body Shop Tea Tree Toner like 4 days ago. I starting to get alot of whiteheads around chin and forehead and my skin produced more oil around nose area. So hows your progress? Are you still on it? Pls reply :(