Notifications
Clear all

i've been breaking out like crazy!!

MemberMember
(@helenaelizabete)

Posted : 03/29/2017 9:10 am

so i'm 14 and don't know what to do. i have good skin care routine, i eat okay (not rlly healthy and not really unhealthy) and i drink enough water but my skin still breaks out like crazy. i also exfoliate twice a week and all that jazz. also, i have really oily t-zone. and by that i mean i wash my face and within 20 min my face will be oily. but my cheeks are dry. but my self esteem is very low because of this

MemberMember
(@sarah346)

Posted : 03/29/2017 10:01 am

I'm 15, try using pure sea salt mixed with water as a toner. You can put this in a spray bottle and spray it on ur face. Leave it on for at least 30min (I leave it for two hours sometimes). It really works!!

MemberMember
(@sarah346)

Posted : 03/29/2017 10:04 am

Remember to moisturize with a non-comodegenic moisturizer after!

MemberMember
(@nathan_np)

Posted : 03/29/2017 11:05 pm

12 hours ago, sarah346 said:

I'm 15, try using pure sea salt mixed with water as a toner. You can put this in a spray bottle and spray it on ur face. Leave it on for at least 30min (I leave it for two hours sometimes). It really works!!

Sarah, just be careful doing this, spraying a hypertonic solution on your skin can actually draw out any free water via osmosis. Granted not likely to be hugely significant on your skin due to it's actual ability to transfer via osmosis at the epidermis, i'm not sure. You might not be using enough salt to be hypertonic but still something to be conscious of.

If you want to do this I would just use 0.9% NaCl solution. Same effect, virtually no risk. But you have the right concept.

13 hours ago, helenaelizabete said:

so i'm 14 and don't know what to do. i have good skin care routine, i eat okay (not rlly healthy and not really unhealthy) and i drink enough water but my skin still breaks out like crazy. i also exfoliate twice a week and all that jazz. also, i have really oily t-zone. and by that i mean i wash my face and within 20 min my face will be oily. but my cheeks are dry. but my self esteem is very low because of this

Helena,

From your description I dare say you are overdoing it. You're stripping your skin (seems to be a common problem amongst acne.org members). The fact that you are washing and having oily skin again within 20 minutes shows that your body is attempting to correct an imbalance. What a lot of people don't realise is that the body is VERYgood at compensating/balancing, but we commonly interfere because we don't understand what's going on. The body can only do what we let it, and there are limitations, which is where diet, exercise and stress come in. Most people don'tactuallyrequire medical intervention, it's just easier than the alternative.

First, look at your diet.. Try to improve it where you can. Second, maybe it's time for a change to a new regimen. I'm a massive proponent of oil cleansing, however if you don't want to take to that far, just use products that contain good oils (no bad oils), which, as Sarah said, non-comedogenic.

So what's good, what's bad? That's a huge list, but I can start you off. Avoid mineral oils, synthetic lanolin, vegetable oils, cocoa butter, parabens, (try to avoid parfum if possible, not a deal breaker), try to limit use of anything with denatured/benzyl alcohol as it has a non-beneficial drying effect. Remember, sometimes drying your skin chemically will only make your body try harder to compensate, hence produce more sebum.

Aim for cleansers and moisturisers containing oils such as rosehip, tea tree, argan, jojoba, shea butter, olive, castor, etc. Fight fire with fire, oil with oil. For water based cleansers to remove dirt, they have to remove oil, thereby causing the body to produce more. Oil based cleansers can remove the dirt and some sebumwithoutstripping the acid mantle, maintaining balance, and naturally signalling the body to slow down oil production.

For that added clean feeling, and to assist with cellular turnover and clearing congestion, also look at getting a cleanser and serum with glycolic acid, maybe even one with both glycolicandsalicylic acid. I actually have one with glycolic, salicylic and olive oil. But avoid benzoyl peroxide unless you are applying it over a facial oil that doesn't have inherent antibacterial properties. Mix it up between say, using the oil based cleanser for 2 days, then the glycolic on the 3rd. Alternate between the glycolic night serum and a facial oil every night.

Hope that helps. Like my post if it does. Oh and give it time. Your skin has a life cycle of 4 weeks +, and depending on your level of congestion, it can take even longer to clear without causing unnecessary damage. You will get there, but be patient. And if you change some things and keep using harsh products, expect the improvement to be slight at best.

Good luck!