Notifications
Clear all

Do I have acne or hyperpigmentation or what?

MemberMember
(@triolink)

Posted : 03/29/2017 7:31 am

Hello everyone,

Thanks for taking your time to read my topic.

I just wanted to know if I have acne or hyperpigmentation?
Also I want to know the severity of my acne and the severity of possible scarring.
I have had acne for about 4 years now, you can read about my story in the previous topic I posted.
I also have acne on my back and a littlebit on my chest but they're all white/blackheads.
Also, when I feel/touch my skin, it's very smooth except in some places, but the red parts are very smooth as if there was nothing there, just plain skin.

If anyone could solve my problem, I would be really happy.

Thanks.
P.S. Excuse the beard.

17570976_10210186341547864_349878172_o.jpg

17622267_10210186340827846_395434284_o.jpg

17669034_10210186340707843_661556198_o.jpg

17670357_10210186340947849_1255170207_o.jpg

MemberMember
(@triolink)

Posted : 03/29/2017 11:14 am

bump.

MemberMember
(@triolink)

Posted : 03/29/2017 5:50 pm

bump

MemberMember
(@zerec)

Posted : 03/29/2017 6:02 pm

Seems like Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation to me.

triolink liked
MemberMember
(@nathan_np)

Posted : 03/29/2017 8:43 pm

Triolink, you don't need to bump your post twice in 10 hours. If you want a valuable response, you may have to wait for it. Plus, it's not like your thread is getting lost in a flood of others'. If it drops off the first page without replies, then bump.

As for your skin, it does look like a combination of scarring and post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation. Scars will be a lot smoother than mature skin, for several reasons. Scar tissue will never be the same as the original skin, however you can definitely improve it. How...

Time, moisture and, if you want to go that one step further, laser/IPL (however these aren't a holy grail fix, some people respond well, some negatively. As always it comes with inherent risks, so that's up to you if you would like to discuss it with a provider).

To elaborate, nothing will heal scarring overnight. Most scars will take 6 months + to fade to a satisfactory degree. Get a good quality face oil, don't buy the $4.99 bottle. Look for something with good ingredients, preferably organic, no mineral oils, parabens, cocoa butter, synthetic lanolin, vegetable oil, petroleum products, etc. Look at spending between $15-$30 (AUD).

Rub a small amount in before bed, after cleansing. They come with a dropper for a reason (you don't need much). It will also help with any blackheads, whiteheads and congestion.

Hope that helps.

triolink liked
MemberMember
(@triolink)

Posted : 03/30/2017 4:46 am

10 hours ago, Zerec said:

Seems like Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation to me.

thanks for the reply!

8 hours ago, Nathan_NP said:

Triolink, you don't need to bump your post twice in 10 hours. If you want a valuable response, you may have to wait for it. Plus, it's not like your thread is getting lost in a flood of others'. If it drops off the first page without replies, then bump.

As for your skin, it does look like a combination of scarring and post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation. Scars will be a lot smoother than mature skin, for several reasons. Scar tissue will never be the same as the original skin, however you can definitely improve it. How...

Time, moisture and, if you want to go that one step further, laser/IPL (however these aren't a holy grail fix, some people respond well, some negatively. As always it comes with inherent risks, so that's up to you if you would like to discuss it with a provider).

To elaborate, nothing will heal scarring overnight. Most scars will take 6 months + to fade to a satisfactory degree. Get a good quality face oil, don't buy the $4.99 bottle. Look for something with good ingredients, preferably organic, no mineral oils, parabens, cocoa butter, synthetic lanolin, vegetable oil, petroleum products, etc. Look at spending between $15-$30 (AUD).

Rub a small amount in before bed, after cleansing. They come with a dropper for a reason (you don't need much). It will also help with any blackheads, whiteheads and congestion.

Hope that helps.

Sorry about that, Nathan,
But thanks for the reply, I dont think i will try laser surgery. I am using creams and moisturisers that my dermatologist prescribed to me.
I have tried accutane and all it did was worsen my skin...
Also I would like to know the severity of my acne...

Again, thanks for replying and taking ur time to write this reply.

MemberMember
(@nathan_np)

Posted : 03/30/2017 4:58 am

It's difficult to gauge your acne. I can't differentiate between hyper-pigmentation, scarring and active lesions. I'm not sure what your dermo has prescribed you but keep up with that. If it doesn't already contain this, try to find a glycolic acid based product, extra points for glycolic + salicylic acid. It should increase cellular turnover and should help you with your issues. Look for a cleanser and a night serum.

triolink liked
MemberMember
(@triolink)

Posted : 03/30/2017 5:11 am

11 minutes ago, Nathan_NP said:

It's difficult to gauge your acne. I can't differentiate between hyper-pigmentation, scarring and active lesions. I'm not sure what your dermo has prescribed you but keep up with that. If it doesn't already contain this, try to find a glycolic acid based product, extra points for glycolic + salicylic acid. It should increase cellular turnover and should help you with your issues. Look for a cleanser and a night serum.

i think there's a lot of hyperpigmentarion, some tiny red bumps and some scars...
Tbh I just want it gone hahahah, its preventing me from living my life properly.

MemberMember
(@nathan_np)

Posted : 03/30/2017 7:44 am

I know the feeling. Give glycolic acid products a go. I can't tell you whatwill work, just what might.

triolink liked
MemberMember
(@triolink)

Posted : 03/30/2017 10:23 am

Yes, I have been on a strict diet for about a couple of months now, I took deep analysis of my blood and urine and I got rid of my h pylori and staphylococcus aureus. I also have to take allergy and hormonal tests.
im currently trying so hard to fix my skin.I hope it pays off.

Also, this might be personal but are you a current sufferer or not?
You seem quite experienced.

Thanks for helping!

2 hours ago, Nathan_NP said:

I know the feeling. Give glycolic acid products a go. I can't tell you whatwill work, just what might.

Yes, I have been on a strict diet for about a couple of months now, I took deep analysis of my blood and urine and I got rid of my h pylori and staphylococcus aureus. I also have to take allergy and hormonal tests.
im currently trying so hard to fix my skin.I hope it pays off.

Also, this might be personal but are you a current sufferer or not?
You seem quite experienced.

Thanks for helping!

MemberMember
(@nathan_np)

Posted : 03/30/2017 11:47 pm

I mostly am not, a current sufferer. I did suffer from 14 - 28 though, very badly. Like at times suicidal ideation bad. But now I mostly have it in check. If I get really busy with work and study, kids, house, declining diet, increased stress, decreased sleep, etc, etc, then I can get some relapses but it's just an indication for me to do something (regarding the other things). I am also still dealing with 14 years of scarring. I understand in from a professional perspective as well as a personal perspective.

Unfortunately for us blokes, there aren't a lot of options to correct hormone imbalances without other, undesirable, effects. So I hope you don't have any issues there. We're usually a lot more hormonally stable than women anyway because we don't have the baby making gear that they do.

Whatever you do, don't overdo it trying so hard to fix it. Start with the basics and work up. The last thing would want to do is make to worse because you've stripped your skin or over irritated it.

Anyway, good luck!

(Sorry but I won't be answering any more questions beyond today. I received just enough backlash from a post last night to make me rethink my position on this site. Some people just don't want to hear how it is. I'll leave it to everyone else and there respective medical treating teams)

triolink liked
MemberMember
(@triolink)

Posted : 03/31/2017 11:14 am

bump

MemberMember
(@triolink)

Posted : 04/01/2017 2:36 pm

Bump

MemberMember
(@triolink)

Posted : 04/05/2017 12:31 pm