Accutane 2017

MemberMember
(@twobunnyrabbits)

Posted : 03/24/2017 9:34 am

Is anyone here taking accutane this year? (2017) I'm just curious because most of the accutane posts I've read were last posted in 2015.

If you are currently on accutane, I would really appreciate it if you could share below your accutane journey so far.

This is the second time I'm taking accutane. I first took it in Nov 2015-April 2016 with great success. I, however, only stayed clear for 4 months after my first course ended. I started breaking out again in Septmber 2016. My acne came back as worse as it was before (and you wouldnt even think that I took accutane) Due to this was put again on accutane on January 2017. Right now, it's my 2nd month and I'm breaking out REALLY BAD. I never broke out like this ..even during my first course. Right now I'm getting at least 5-10 new cysts per day! This is not an exaggeration at all. I have a fair skin so the new breakouts are really noticeable.

HOW ABOUT YOU GUYS HOW'S YOUR ACCUTANE JOURNEY GOING?

lil90108 liked
MemberMember
(@andrear)

Posted : 03/26/2017 11:56 am

hello
Im on it 2017 and also a 2nd timer but i took my first course in 2008/09. are you on different doses than last time? I was was raised to 60mg quicker this time than the 1st go. And like you have all sorts of noticeable nasty on my face IMO as I'm fair too. I found this month just gone the worst so far, kinda feel like a shouldn't moan as i pushed for this and new what could happen.
A. x

MemberMember
(@suite)

Posted : 03/26/2017 1:03 pm

I'm on my 2nd time as well. Did my first round from January-May '16 and started this course mid-December (done late April/early May). I've been on 80mg since the go which was the same dose as my first round. I'll hit 150mg/kg by the end of my 5th month. I'm acne free right now but has one flare up last week. I was on vacation and using various sunscreens that must've aggravated my face. Otherwise clear. I get bad redness after taking the pill for a few hours but water helps. My skin tone is evening out now and I'm pretty excited finishing month 4 and going into month 5.

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 03/28/2017 7:58 pm

Im on my third month. I just updated my log. I update itat least once a week and usually include pics. My post is theone with the title that goes something like - going back on accutane after 4 years (w/pics). Check it out if you like

MemberMember
(@qweasdzxc)

Posted : 07/05/2017 2:35 am

Hi, I'm on my 10th day. Mild/moderate acne but very persistent. Getting worse over the years and after pregnancies. I'm now 32 and just had a baby, clear skin for a few days then woke up with tiny bumps all over face which began to get infected and become cystic spots. Referred to derm and they put me on low dose 30mg as i was already feeling quite upset about skin. So far i keep getting massive cystic spots around the edge of my face that are so big that my face is swelling up too (never had this before) and keep getting white heads around lips right on the edge of lips(looks disgusting and cannot be covered with any sort of makeup). These are really painful but it seems that all my tiny bumps(i have 100+) are still getting infected. I was hoping this wouldn't happen. The only positive so far is that the spots are drying up quicker. I have manageable dryness so far (using cetaphil products and aloe lotion).

MemberMember
(@374995_1443950448)

Posted : 07/08/2017 8:32 pm

I just started my first round yesterday. Moderate acne. Praying it's gonna work:) Let's keep each other updated, I couldn't find any Accutane forums from this year as well...-_-

MemberMember
(@danda17)

Posted : 07/10/2017 12:14 pm

I'm 37yrs old, acne sufferer since early 20s but has been able to manage it using topicals but beginning in February2017 it went out of control, tried natural stuff, topicals, AHA&BHA etc etc..but nothing helped. Finally went to a dermatologist in May 2017 and she put me onIsotretinoin (Claravis). Im on my 4th week taking 40mg/day. I literally broke out 6-7 pimples (not quite cystic) on my left temple several hours after I took my first pill, that area isjust now beginning to clear up, yeah took 3 weeks. Then about 2 weeks into it I had 5 big cystic acne on the right temple whichare almost perfectly lined up (weird). What's weird about these break outs is that they are concentrated in one areawhereI didnot used to break out before this treatment. 4 weeks into it though comparing my progress to a lot of other people, I am pretty pleased so far, I can tell thatthe quality ofmyskin is better and a bitbrighter, although there are breakouts, theydo not look asinflammed as before.Also, beforethis treatment,my face is extremely oily which makes the acne really obvious even if I put powder on to control the oil. I have to blot my faceliterally every couple of hours, with this treatment, I dubbed powder on my face in the morning to hide the redness then go to workand it stays all day long even until evening, without blotting at all. As far as side effects, I just have the chapped lips, that's it. So far I am pleased and I just pray that the clearing will continue from here on out. I just did my blood work today for my 2nd month derm appt and excited to see if shes going to up my dose and what's in store for my 2nd month.

MemberMember
(@artemis_aurora)

Posted : 07/16/2017 2:31 am

Hi everyone, I know what you all mean, I've also been trying to find logs for this year too. I'm a month into my second course of accutane 20mg daily and still in the breakout stage... can be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when so many pimples and hyperpigmentation staring back at you in the mirror. Good luck everyone!!

danda17: me too, I used to have such oily skin but now it's dryer, and the pores are smaller, but still getting breakouts. Hopefully the rest of this month it will get better!!

MemberMember
(@carlo2017)

Posted : 07/17/2017 10:50 am

Hello, everyone. It's nice to meet you all.

Ok, so where do I begin...... I have suffered from mild/persistent acne for a long time now. In total, (rough estimate is 4 Yrs) I have tried around 6 types of antibioticsthat my local GP prescribed me and nothing worked.

After being rejected Accutane from the NHS and my useless Doctors I decided to go private ( Unfortunately) which is costing me an arm and a leg. Cut a long story short my private dermatologist said I was a suitable candidate to go on Accutane,and so the journey began. He started off putting me on 20mg a day, but it didn't respond. Then he upped it to 40mg a day and still no results. So we both agreed that I should try taking 60mg a day ( 3 tablets a day ) and after the 3 months, I was clear. I was so happy it was like a miracle! Then it was time to come off of Accutaneand move on with my life ( so I thought )

After successfullycontrolling my acne I was placed on 40mg as a start of getting wined off the tablets. Unfortunately, after a month passed, my acne came back with a vengeance. It was quite obvious that the Dr had taken me off the 60mg too quickly so I had to go back on to 60mg. After a few sessions with my private Dr, he couldn't work out why my acne was still causing me trouble and persisting to be a nuisance. So after a deep discussionwith me doing some research on mild/persistent acne, I found out via other acne related web sites that patients who are in the same or similar situation as me had to be on 60mg a day for a straight 6-7 months....( depending on the person ect ..)

I have now been on 60mg a day for roughly4 and a half months going on to 5 months and still, my acne is being such a bugger it's unbelievable. I don't know what to do anymore and it's very strange how the medication reacted well the first time I went on to 60mg for 3 months, but after a set back of dropping from 40mg back up to 60mg again it just seems to be not responding as well as last time. Is this rumour really true about having to be on this drug for 5-7 months for it to sort my acne out? or do I have to just stick it out until it does kick in......?

If anyone has the same problem and overcame it I'd really like to know what you did or what happened. I don;t think it's the moisturiser that I use since it worked well before while I was 60mg last time. ( I'm using E45 intense recovery spray tocounter balance the dryness )

MemberMember
(@ffi-x)

Posted : 09/30/2017 8:42 am

Hi, I stArted to take accutane 3 weeks ago and around 2 weeks I had the worst initial breakout I could imagine. Tuesday I was sent home from work as all I did was cry, Wednesday (12 hrs later) I woke up and my skin was clear. I looked in the mirror and thought a miracle had happened! Thursday was yet again a good day, today which is Saturday my fave has broken out again in nearly 20 cysts. Its an emotional rollercoaster. I honestly thought on Wednesday I was over the initial breakout as it had been going on for nearly 5 days and when I saw it clear on wednesday I was so relieved. By today can not stop crying and looking at myself in distgust. My face is also so sore and cracking. There just seems no winning here. I keep reading blogs even though I know everybody is different but everyone ones that says yes 1 I think cleared up I keep looking at my calendar and hoping Ill also be one of these. Is anyone we having the same problem? Im also getting all the side effects, joint pain, tirednesss, Hair loss so you can imagine how devastating I must feel right now. Have enough in bed since leaving work Tuesday as in i cant bare to go outdoors.

MemberMember
(@carlo2017)

Posted : 10/18/2017 3:52 pm

On 9/30/2017 at 2:42 PM, Ffi x said:

Hi, I stArted to take accutane 3 weeks ago and around 2 weeks I had the worst initial breakout I could imagine. Tuesday I was sent home from work as all I did was cry, Wednesday (12 hrs later) I woke up and my skin was clear. I looked in the mirror and thought a miracle had happened! Thursday was yet again a good day, today which is Saturday my fave has broken out again in nearly 20 cysts. Its an emotional rollercoaster. I honestly thought on Wednesday I was over the initial breakout as it had been going on for nearly 5 days and when I saw it clear on wednesday I was so relieved. By today can not stop crying and looking at myself in distgust. My face is also so sore and cracking. There just seems no winning here. I keep reading blogs even though I know everybody is different but everyone ones that says yes 1 I think cleared up I keep looking at my calendar and hoping Ill also be one of these. Is anyone we having the same problem? Im also getting all the side effects, joint pain, tirednesss, Hair loss so you can imagine how devastating I must feel right now. Have enough in bed since leaving work Tuesday as in i cant bare to go outdoors.

I was on this medication for awhile and you have to give it at least 2-3 months if it's persistent acne ( like mine ) It's normal to get a lot of outbreaks in the first few weeks so don't worry and just ride it out for now. If the medication works you'll see results shortly after a month or two. It also depends on the person, gender and severity of the acne. The only thing i can recommend to you for the dryness of your skin and lips is E45 body spray intense recovery ( red top ) and carmex for your lips. That is the best lip seal for being on roaccutane.

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@4569ally)

Posted : 10/21/2017 6:34 am

I'm about 3 weeks into my second course of Accutane (first course was 6 years ago, no big skin issues until this year). Starting at 20mg because my derm didn't want me to have a bad IB, however my acne has been SEVERE leading up to starting Accutane so it's kind of a double-edged sword (start low and slow, or start high with an IB but maybe see results faster? I don't know). Either way, I'm on the Accutane train for 2017...hoping by the time 2018 starts things look better!!!!

MemberMember
(@carlo2017)

Posted : 10/21/2017 5:32 pm

10 hours ago, 4569ally said:

I'm about 3 weeks into my second course of Accutane (first course was 6 years ago, no big skin issues until this year). Starting at 20mg because my derm didn't want me to have a bad IB, however my acne has been SEVERE leading up to starting Accutane so it's kind of a double-edged sword (start low and slow, or start high with an IB but maybe see results faster? I don't know). Either way, I'm on the Accutane train for 2017...hoping by the time 2018 starts things look better!!!!

I wish you luck! I had to go on a 60mg dose for it to do anything. After i had been on it for 3 months my derm put me down to 40mg but it came back after a month. In all seriousness, I'mglad I am off Accutane. This new treatment started working after 2 and a half 3 weeks andI'm happy with the results since I have a clear face now. woot!!

4569ally liked
MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 10/22/2017 1:53 pm

I'm in the middle of my first course of Accutane - I'm keeping a blog going, you can find it in the Accutane (isotretinoin) threads. I had a pretty bad initial breakout - though nothing worse than I've already been through. I'm currently on month four and my face is looking clearer, but I still have breakouts. And when I get spots they tend to be pretty bad - the under-the-skin type that get very red and sore. Weirdly, my skin isn't that dry, nor are my lips cracking and bleeding. Both are dryer, but nothing extreme. I do have a VERY dry scalp though, and it gets itchy and irritated.

MemberMember
(@tiamarie)

Posted : 11/03/2017 11:47 am

Hi everyone, I'm on day 4 of 20mg and i was wondering when you all started to see the dryness take effect. I haven't yet, I'm actually really oily. But I am wondering if it is because of the products I am using. I use CeraVe ointment at night time and Cedaphil during the day. Thanks everyone, I know I'm new to this but if you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

MemberMember
(@4569ally)

Posted : 11/03/2017 8:54 pm

@TiaMarieI was on 20mg for the first month and I didn't really notice dryness until the last week of that month. And even then it wasn't too bad, just slightly more dry than usual. Now I'm one week into 40mg and noticing it more but still not horrid. Probably good that you're proactively moisturizing ahead of the dryness!

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 11/04/2017 3:30 pm

It took me two weeks on 30mg to experience any of the side effects. At the end of week two they seemed quite bad, but then they calmed down a bit after.

MemberMember
(@tiamarie)

Posted : 11/04/2017 5:20 pm

Thank you both! Im dreading it! But not as much as a bad breakout.

MemberMember
(@sleekheight)

Posted : 11/05/2017 3:00 pm

Hello, I am a basically a month into 20mg a day, still getting the occasional big spot. Main concern is post acne red marks. How do I get these to fade?!

MemberMember
(@tiamarie)

Posted : 11/05/2017 4:41 pm

I would strongly advise against using any type of topical cream or bleaching to fix the redness. Not sure if you wear make up but i would just for the time being until they fade naturally. Stay out of the sun so they dont get any darker. Sorry i couldnt be if more help.

MemberMember
(@bigm84)

Posted : 11/06/2017 3:26 pm

Hi, Im week 11 of 30mg per day. Im a 33 yr old male with moderate (sometimes severe) very persistent acne.

Been sort of lucky so far, skin cleared up after about 3-4 weeks with only the very occasional spot at the moment. Small breakout in week 2 but not too bad.

my main issue is the red colour my skin has been since the first few days of going on the tablets. Its calmed down slightly but I flush when hot, eating, exercising and embarrassed. I sometimes go so red it looks like sunburn. Very embarrassing and is really effecting my social life. Just really hoping it stops sometime after finishing my course

MemberMember
(@tiamarie)

Posted : 11/06/2017 8:01 pm

@BigM84I looked up natural ways to calm facial redness and i found this page.. maybe itll help [Edited link out] .. theyre all natural so they shouldnt be irritating while using accutane.

BigM84 liked
MemberMember
(@sleekheight)

Posted : 11/22/2017 5:56 am

Big m84, thanks for the reply, wow thats good to hear, hope it continues to go well for you!

MemberMember
(@bigm84)

Posted : 02/11/2018 5:08 pm

Hey, this thread hasnt been updated in a while, thought I would see how everyone is getting on?

Im nearly 6 months in now so fingers crossed not much longer to go (derm said 6-8 months). Still have the red colour to my skin and getting flushed. Had to come off the tablets for a couple of weeks due to digestion issues which I think were a result of roaccutane but everything ok now and back on 30mg per day