Notifications
Clear all

PROBIOTIC?

MemberMember
(@stressed123)

Posted : 03/22/2017 3:06 pm

I amon minocycline now, should I take a probiotic? or not bother because it wont do anything anyways?

I have been on minocycline for over a year now

I appreciate your feedback

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 03/22/2017 11:15 pm

Yes you should

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/23/2017 10:35 pm

I'd be scared to take an antibiotic for a year and peacefully keep doing it. It literally destroys your good bacteria in your body and that can lead to so many other problems, including worsened acne. Short term antibiotics help, but long term they mess you up and you become dependent on them PLUS your problem never gets solved and it worsens.
My derm told me that he'd put me on antibiotics only if I had a special occasion coming up, but he'd never keep me on them long term. Then I bounced to a different Derm like I always do and 2 years later I got on accutane. Now I'm back with the same Derm who didn't want to even put me on antibiotics because I respect his decision and his standards.

MemberMember
(@umas)

Posted : 03/24/2017 4:29 am

5 hours ago, WaterFountain said:

I'd be scared to take an antibiotic for a year and peacefully keep doing it. It literally destroys your good bacteria in your body and that can lead to so many other problems, including worsened acne. Short term antibiotics help, but long term they mess you up and you become dependent on them PLUS your problem never gets solved and it worsens.
My derm told me that he'd put me on antibiotics only if I had a special occasion coming up, but he'd never keep me on them long term. Then I bounced to a different Derm like I always do and 2 years later I got on accutane. Now I'm back with the same Derm who didn't want to even put me on antibiotics because I respect his decision and his standards.

While I am against using longterm antibiotics for acne(They really messed me up) I'm tired of posts like that. "It literally destroys your good bacteria" oh really? And what are your proves? Because actuallly tetracyclines are bacteriostatic, that means they don't destroy ANYTHING, they slow down reproduction of new bacteria. True, in higher doses tetracycline can be bacterioidal, and actually kill bacteria, but in lower doses they don't work on bacteria and deal with acne more due to their anti-inflammatory effects. There are tons of different antibiotics, and their effects on body varies. But in one - most important - thing you are right, one year on antibiotic is way to long

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/24/2017 6:02 am

1 hour ago, Umas said:
While I am against using longterm antibiotics for acne(They really messed me up) I'm tired of posts like that. "It literally destroys your good bacteria" oh really? And what are your proves? Because actuallly tetracyclines are bacteriostatic, that means they don't destroy ANYTHING, they slow down reproduction of new bacteria. True, in higher doses tetracycline can be bacterioidal, and actually kill bacteria, but in lower doses they don't work on bacteria and deal with acne more due to their anti-inflammatory effects. There are tons of different antibiotics, and their effects on body varies. But in one - most important - thing you are right, one year on antibiotic is way to long

The word "anti-biotics" means against life. But good luck with your treatment

MemberMember
(@umas)

Posted : 03/24/2017 6:54 am

Yes, that is true anti-biotics means against life. So what? You don't agree that different groups of antibiotics work in different way? Like I said I'm against using antibiotics for acne, especially long-term but I had to correct you post, that's all. Tetracyclines act in bacteriostatic way, stoping reproduction of bacteria, not by killing them directly, that's all
And thank you for whising me well in my treatment, currently I'm fighting my sixth year with effects of oral antibiotics so my treatment is for repairing gut. So I am against using them long term in acne, but it's important to know differences between them. I still would more likely use tetracycline for extended perdiod of time, than cipro even once.