Notifications
Clear all

Skin purging 3 months into tretinoin?

MemberMember
(@singer34)

Posted : 03/18/2017 6:53 pm

I began using tretinoin 0.025% around mid-December and had a purge on the sides of my mouth and forehead about 1.5 weeks in (most of my acne before using tretinoin has been on my cheeks). Since then my skin has really been clearing up. I still got a few pimples here and there and with my period, but way better than before. However the other day I got a huge breakout over all over both of my cheeks of extremely small and red whiteheads. My skin looks worse now than before I was on tretinoin. I'm extremely selfconscious because the acne scars on my cheeks were just clearing up and now this I have probably 20 new pimples on each cheek.
Could this just be a second "purge" and should I try to stick it out? How long will this take to go away? Should I ask my dermatologist about switching products? Thanks for all of your opinions/advice!

MemberMember
(@jcd97b)

Posted : 03/21/2017 2:46 pm

It's normal, everyone is different. My skin cleared completely after 2 weeks on Accutane and then about a month and a half later I broke out pretty bad again for no apparent reason. I'm one month post now and only get the occasional pimple, right now I have a tiny one right above my lip but the rest of my face is 100% clear.