Notifications
Clear all

Small bumps rash-like itchy skin- Folliculitis? Staph infection?

MemberMember
(@wanderinghigh)

Posted : 03/18/2017 2:48 pm

About 1-2 weeks ago I started breaking out again. At first, I thought it was just normal acne (I have had acne for the last couple of years of my life but was clearing up beautifully for the last half a year or so- I'm guessing due to the near end of puberty and also dermatologist-prescribed topical creams) but with a couple of days in, I realized I wasn't getting the normal larger red zits but tiny little bumps in certain areas making my skin look very red. It's in a couple of areas around my cheeks, looks very rash-like, causing TERRIBLE texture on my skin, and is fairly itchy. Not like clawing-my-face out extreme itchy but constant tingling itchiness. Because of its rash-like appearance, I suspected folliculitis so I'm gonna try nizoral tonight. The "breakout" also seems to be spreading to a larger area and to more areas of my face every day. I also want to note my mom had an impetigo/staph infection a couple weeks ago that cleared up but 2-3 weeks ago she started experiencing itchy skin on her face so I was also wondering if I might have gotten a staph infection from her? Except she doesn't have the tiny red bumps/visible rash just itchy, slightly pink, irritated skin. The pictures don't capture all the texture from the little bumps but I hope they suffice. And yes, the shine is from my naturally extremely oily skin. Thoughts on what the hells happening to my skin??

pic1.jpegpic2.jpeg

MemberMember
(@weeeelium)

Posted : 06/02/2017 3:08 am

Wandering high could you see your PM! I also seem to be facing similar problem but I have facial hair. I definitely have folliculitis but also have something like your skin other than the infected hair follicles.

MemberMember
(@user606822)

Posted : 06/02/2017 3:30 am

that to me looks like the start of comedonal acne.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/02/2017 5:46 am

Aggravated skin?more likely hormonal,change diet and hygene habits to suit your skin.even a bag of fries can make you break out.
:)

MemberMember
(@fedupskin)

Posted : 06/02/2017 9:04 am

Skin itching is NOT typical of acne. It's actually more typical of a fungal folliculitis such as Pityrosporum folliculitis. This is a type of yeast that loves oily, sweaty environments. Everyone has this type of yeast on their skin but sometimes it can overgrow and cause an infection particularly if you are using greasy or occlusive products on your skin like coconut oil, thick sunscreens. If it is a fungal folliculitis the Nizoral may help but topical treatments are not always effective in clearing up fungal infections and prescribed oral medication from the dermatologist may be necessary.

The redness and itching may also indicate an allergic reaction to something you've been applying to your skin. Have you used any new products lately such as sunscreens, make up, skincare products? Whenever I'm in doubt about whether a product is causing an issue I remove any potential offenders and go back to the tried and true products that I've used for long periods of time, things that I'm confident don't cause me any issues. Sometimes, although less likely, companies can change the ingredients in products as well so something that you used for years can all of a sudden become a problem because of new ingredients.

Lastly, if your mom had similar symptoms with her Staph infection, there's a chance you could be suffering from the same. However, impetigo tends to have a more crusty appearance so I'm not very confident that's what's going on with you. Regardless, if the rash doesn't improve in the next 3-5 days or you feel it's getting worse before then you need to go to a dermatologist or your primary care doctor to figure out what's going on. It's your face we're talking about so I wouldn't wait until it gets out of control.

MemberMember
(@inasintz)

Posted : 02/17/2018 4:23 pm

Did you ever find out what it was? I'm dealing with something similar as well, but don't know what it is.

MemberMember
(@zanpacoma)

Posted : 03/14/2019 7:17 pm

Hi, I have the same condition, I tried apple cider, and sit for about 5 mins then wash a gentle cleanser. I also use jojoba oil to prevent the itchyness. I am going to the dermatologist today and verify what the hell is this and what treatment should I use to make this go away. I will update you guys soon!! 

656D2F7C-67A5-4071-93F0-B3C8A6A155EE.jpeg

E894165A-6B7F-449A-8FF8-5BEBDAAC7C2A.jpeg

MemberMember
(@zanpacoma)

Posted : 03/16/2019 1:00 am

I already go to my doctor and said that my rashes is contact dermatitis. She gave me antibiotics for 3 days and suggested that my face cleanser should be cetaphil because it is gentle. I ask her if I am okay to use moisturizer or sunscreen, she said that she only recommend cleanser only nothing else, because my skin is currently reacting. So it is better to have a cleanser only.

MemberMember
(@zanpacoma)

Posted : 03/17/2019 12:54 am

I already go to my doctor and said that my rashes is contact dermatitis. She gave me antibiotics for 3 days and suggested that my face cleanser should be cetaphil because it is gentle. I ask her if I am okay to use moisturizer or sunscreen, she said that she only recommend cleanser only nothing else, because my skin is currently reacting. So it is better to have a cleanser only.

MemberMember
(@hugely)

Posted : 12/21/2019 10:43 pm

What was the antibiotic they gave you?