Notifications
Clear all

Does 'no washing' cure acne?

MemberMember
(@portiahalo)

Posted : 03/18/2017 11:33 am

About a year ago, I had really good skin, it was clear, bright and smooth, but I ended up breaking out horribly for some reason. I went to the dermatologist and she pretty much said "Oh, it's okay, it will go away." and gave me doxycycline to take. Well, that was just the beginning of my acne.... I've been going through months of trying to find the perfect cleanser, toner, moisturizer, etc to cure my acne, but if you notice, if you ask the people with the clearest skin, most of them will say they do nothing to their skin. And it makes sense. I don't think our skin was intended for all these products to go on it.

Have any of you guys tried the 'no washing' method, and how did it work for you?

I'll try to post updates. I'm hoping for more even skin tone, less redness, and less acne. Today is the first day of no washing. Last night, I washed with my nubian heritage african black soap, just to start with a clean face. Today, I woke up with my skin just a little oily, but that was expected.

Day 2
Nothing too different. My skin seems to be more "normal" toned. No reduction in acne, but there is a cluster 5 small pimples on my cheekbone that formed. They aren't too notcible though, since they are so small. Chin and nose are starting to get rough. And existing acne is also starting to get dry and rough.. Hopefuly that's good..

Update: I started splashing my face with cold water

Day 3
My skin isn't too different. As each day passes though, my skin gets dryer and dryer. I think I might notice some reduction in acne, but I think it's too soon to tell. Skin is less irritated, but my chin and nose are dry. Existing is rough and dry too.

Day 4
Dead skin is slightly building up. My skin still looks more even toned. I honestly think my acne is starting clear up. The bumps seem to be flattening out, it I don't want assume anything yet. As before, my nose and chin are the dryest. My Forehead doesn't seem to be liking the new method though..

update: I ended up washing my face with oatmeal, but I am still going to keep up with no washing every four days. The places where I already had acne were actually clearing up, but the places where I don't typically get acne were starting to get acne.. like continue with every four days though and build up from there.

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/19/2017 3:35 am

I did it for 3 weeks. I could not stand the purging process! It was awful! My skin became the worst it had ever been, including teenage years!) I washed once at night with just a couple splashes of water and that was it. While the whole 'not having to wash and use products for 30 mins twice a day' was amazing! It felt soo freeing. BUT. I believe now that this only works for those whose skin acne is caused by product irration. As soon as I made the decision to stop I went back to bp and that helped. But now I have so much pigmentation around my mouth and jawline. (This was only back in January) and im still trying to get rid of it. Now im on Manuka Honey mgo 400+ and even after 1 day the redness had faded noticeably and now when and IF I get a cyst, it comes and goes in about a week for a stubborn one. My cysts use to last approx a month! Yes, this honey is expensive (the standard honey is nowhere near as good and I doubt it would work at all) I use to have 1 or 2 cysts at all times and all the other acne zits. Now Ive had 2 cysts this whole MONTH! And its only getting better. I use the manuka honey twice a day for 2-3 hrs as a mask. If it wasnt so sticky id use it overnight too. This is just my story, the caveman regimen may work for you, and I applaud you if you can push through the purging phase. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@blessjhope)

Posted : 03/19/2017 3:39 am

As far as I've heard no it isn't good to not wash your skin. Maybe for the first week its ok then turns bad the 2nd week. Maybe avoid using so many products and stick with only a few or more natural products idk. But try it I guess and see if it works ^^

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 03/19/2017 6:43 am

19 hours ago, Portiahalo said:

Have any of you guys tried the 'no washing' method, and how did it work for you?

do a search for the "caveman regiment"..ive done it, it works but is it realistic not to ever wash your face again?
anywayafter 3 days your skin becomes less oily and then after a few more days it calms down.. then blackheads dry out and come to the surface.. well that's my experience with not washing.

if your taking antibiotics you might want to read up on probiotics, as from what ive read, antibiotics kill the good bacteria in your gut.

MemberMember
(@portiahalo)

Posted : 03/19/2017 8:39 am

@Rachie39 That's horrible. :( I've heard mixed reviews about it. I hate it when it leaves hyperpigmentation behind. That's what I get also. I don't know what's worse, the acne or the marks it leaves behind... Haha, but I'm glad the manuka honey is working for you. I've seen a lot of people raving about that. Manuka honey, apple cider vinegar and black soap seem to be the most popular for getting rid of acne. When you tried the caveman regimen, did you notice your skin tone get worse or better? And did you get any dryness?

After I do this method, I'm going to just try to wash my face maybe twice a week. I'd just like to see if this method actually helps to see if I really am doing to much to my face. 

MemberMember
(@portiahalo)

Posted : 03/19/2017 8:54 am

@MrBakeryI'm glad it worked for you. Did your acne get any better or worse when you stopped the regimen mad went back to washing? AndI ended up stopping with the antibiotics. I wanted to find a way of clearing my acne without having to a medication.@BlessJhopeI completely agree! After I do this method, I'm going to try and just wash my face twice a week. I think it's good to wash your face, but not too much. I think too much is what causes redness and irritation

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 03/19/2017 10:20 am

when i was young, i was on and off antibiotics for acne. they never really worked for me. from what ive read, they apparently cause acne in the long run(?)

yes, well my problems did return after giving up the no washing regiment, maybe it was my fault? i just remember trying to remove some blackheads then...whoops.. face is a red mess again.

not washing or touching your face takes great discipline, which im not very good at.

MemberMember
(@positivepositivepositive)

Posted : 03/19/2017 10:26 am

I've tried no wash at all(not even water) and wash with only water, both doesn't work for my clogged pores.
It wont get inflamed, yet wont go away neither.
I believe my body is somehow slow in skin turnover rate on it's own. Which topical vitamin a did helped me for this situation.
------
I'd say it will eventually work if your root cause of acne is the irritation from using products and topicals.
By throwing them away, you can let your skin fight acne back on it's own course, while the healing power might vary for each individual in terms of their age, diet, life style, , environment, washing habit and such.

But if it's internal caused, like hormonal imbalance or lacking certain kind of vitamin or something in your body just doesn't work right, it wouldn't work.

Anyway, theories are theories, maybe others needed 3 months of Cavemen and I needed 6 months for it to work, who knows.

Good luck.

MemberMember
(@portiahalo)

Posted : 03/19/2017 11:20 am

@MrBakery I have that problem too. I always want to touch my face and then I just make it red again. What type of cleanser do you use?

55 minutes ago, PositivePositivePositive said:

I've tried no wash at all(not even water) and wash with only water, both doesn't work for my clogged pores.  
It wont get inflamed, yet wont go away neither. 
I believe my body is somehow slow in skin turnover rate on it's own.  Which topical vitamin a did helped me for this situation.
------
I'd say it will eventually work if your root cause of acne is the irritation from using products and topicals.
By throwing them away, you can let your skin fight acne back on it's own course, while the healing power might vary for each individual in terms of their age, diet, life style, , environment, washing habit and such. 

But if it's internal caused, like hormonal imbalance or lacking certain kind of vitamin or something in your body just doesn't work right, it wouldn't work.

Anyway, theories are theories, maybe others needed 3 months of Cavemen and I needed 6 months for it to work, who knows.

Good luck.

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. :( Has your acne gotten any better at all since then? And I completely agree! You really have to find the root of the problem. I honestly think mine has do with hormones, but also think it has some to do with irritation from so many products. I know a lot of people find more even skin tone when trying the caveman regimen.  

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 03/19/2017 11:51 am

i use a mild, sls free soap called sebamed & sometimes use BP cream.. i avoid most other products because they just make my skin worse.

for some reason im very sensitive to sls products.

MemberMember
(@portiahalo)

Posted : 03/19/2017 12:18 pm

@MrBakery Oh okay! I have really sensitive skin too. I'm looking for a gentle face wash after I try the no wash method, because the Nubian heritage black soap that I was using is just a little too drying.

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/19/2017 5:45 pm

9 hours ago, Portiahalo said:
@Rachie39 That's horrible. :( I've heard mixed reviews about it. I hate it when it leaves hyperpigmentation behind. That's what I get also. I don't know what's worse, the acne or the marks it leaves behind... Haha, but I'm glad the manuka honey is working for you. I've seen a lot of people raving about that. Manuka honey, apple cider vinegar and black soap seem to be the most popular for getting rid of acne. When you tried the caveman regimen, did you notice your skin tone get worse or better? And did you get any dryness?

After I do this method, I'm going to just try to wash my face maybe twice a week. I'd just like to see if this method actually helps to see if I really am doing to much to my face. 

no I didnt get dryness, but by the end of each day I was rather oily, it did ease up over time but my skin tone stayed about the same. I did make a post on my time while doing this regimen. I hope you keep us updated on how your going. My fingers are crossed for you.

MemberMember
(@positivepositivepositive)

Posted : 03/20/2017 10:38 am

22 hours ago, Portiahalo said:

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. :( Has your acne gotten any better at all since then? And I completely agree! You really have to find the root of the problem. I honestly think mine has do with hormones, but also think it has some to do with irritation from so many products. I know a lot of people find more even skin tone when trying the caveman regimen.  

It has not gotten better until I use adapalene gel for three months to notice improvement.  But as soon as I stopped the topical and use only water, my face gets clogged pores again.  That's why I came with the conclusion above.  Yes, it is true my skin look strong and more even toned when left alone, but I got acne, and that's something can't be ignored.  I just hope it works for you.

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 04/06/2017 4:41 pm

i just wanted to say.. after i really damaging my skin 2 weeks ago, im having a good week as im back on the caveman regimen (minimal water only washing-no creams/soaps) and my skin has really calmed down, no real spots / minimal redness.

i dont know how long i can keep it up but its a good reminder that a lot of soap and creams are bad for people like me with sensitive skin.