Notifications
Clear all

Has anyone been prescribed Oxytetracycline? Was it successful?

MemberMember
(@mrmanmike)

Posted : 03/17/2017 9:37 am

Hi all,
This is my first ever post on acne.org.
Today I have been prescribed oxytetracycline which I believe is an antibiotic which must be taken orally.
Along with this my GP has told me to use 'acnecide' which is basically a brand of benzoyl peroxide 5%.
Has anyone who has taken either of these medications (or both) had any success, and if you so how long did it take to see improvement?
Thanks

MemberMember
(@lifeswaitingtobegin)

Posted : 03/21/2017 1:51 pm

I was prescribed oxytetraxycline and took it for about 6 months. It worked and cleared up my skin unfortunately as with all antibiotics they stopped working (acne became resistant) and then my acne came back and was probably worse than before. It didn't take long for them to start working, maybe a week or 2 and a bit longer for old acne to clear. While antibiotics are a good short term fix they won't get to the root cause of the problem and wont cure your acne for life.

MemberMember
(@mrmanmike)

Posted : 05/25/2017 11:00 am

On 21/03/2017 at 6:51 PM, LifesWaitingToBegin said:

I was prescribed oxytetraxycline and took it for about 6 months. It worked and cleared up my skin unfortunately as with all antibiotics they stopped working (acne became resistant) and then my acne came back and was probably worse than before. It didn't take long for them to start working, maybe a week or 2 and a bit longer for old acne to clear. While antibiotics are a good short term fix they won't get to the root cause of the problem and wont cure your acne for life.

Hi there,
Havent been active for ages so I have only just seen this.
Currently coming to the end of 3 months of using my medication.
It has definitely helped clear my skin although I do still have a few spots every few days.
It's shame that they didn't work long-term for you, hopefully mine won't come back worse when I come off the antibiotics.
What would you recommend as a long-term solution?
Thanks

MemberMember
(@lifeswaitingtobegin)

Posted : 05/29/2017 7:13 pm

As a long term solution it's tough because everyone is different so one thing will work for one person but not for the other...personally when my acne came back I started taking vitamin A and zinc supplements ( from a health shop) which cleared up my acne almost as good as the antibiotics. I started off taking a slightly higher than recommended dose and slowly worked my way down to the point where now I just take 2 multi vitamin pills (from a supermarket) a day. I also cleaned up my diet considerably - I eat loads of fruit and veg,barely eat any dairy/sugar and drink plenty of water and green tea. My acne is not totally clear, I still get spots fairly regularly but not to the point where I would say I have acne...it's the best it's been without taking antibiotics ( which obv you can't take forever) not perfect but under control. Good luck

MemberMember
(@mrmanmike)

Posted : 06/01/2017 4:55 pm

Thanks for you advice,
I will try to sort out my diet and see what happens.
Good luck to you too