Notifications
Clear all

Blue light theory? Am I right in saying it makes skin worse?

MemberMember
(@skinscarred)

Posted : 03/16/2017 5:05 pm

So last week I started using a blue light treatment similar to the Tria device, however my skin has been freaking out.

So I stopped using it today and read some interesting research about how the blue light works to treat acne.

Apparently the blue light makes the P. Acne bacteria produce more Porphyrins. Porphyrins are bacterial excretions, that kill the bacteria themselves by free radical damage. However this can become lodged in pores and lead to more acne.

So what do you guys think about blue light therapy for acne? yay or nay? Deciding whether I should give it more time or return the device.

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/17/2017 10:20 pm

I use the neutrogena blue light mask. It's been 3 weeks and so far so good. No breakouts.

MemberMember
(@malemuriel)

Posted : 04/11/2018 3:28 pm

To my understanding, it does not cause more poryphyrin production, it changes the poryphyrin and makes it toxic to the p.acnes bacteria. I have read that it might get a little bit worse at the beginning due to a lot of dead bacteria, that the needs to remove and by removing it the area gets inflamed or whatever.