Notifications
Clear all

What 10 days on the oil cleansing method did to me

MemberMember
(@notcleanandnotclear)

Posted : 03/14/2017 3:08 am

I read positive things about the OCM and since I always tend to break up a bit during the summer (looking back this is nothing), I decided to try it last October. 10 days into it (I used jojoba & castor oil) I noticed that I started to break out. I immediately stopped the OCM. 6 weeks later I had horrible cystic acne all over my chin that kept getting worse by the day and started to expand to my cheeks and neck. I have never had acne like this before; never more than maybe 2-3 pimples at a time, mostly none at all. I went to see a derm and she told me that it's not a good idea to put oil on your face when you're acne prone. She prescribed some topical antibiotics that did not help. I went to see anohter derm who prescribed oral antibiotics I took for 4 weeks that did not help either. Went back to the term and he said I could try Benzoylperoxide, but he's afraid I might have to end up taking Accutane to really get rid of it. I had taken BP in the past and liked it, but did not think a topical treatment could help at this point. I tried it anyways and saw an improvement immediately (I only use it at night and use 5% without a moisturizer on top). This was in December. I stopped really breaking out just recently and am now dealing with marks and will probably be left with some scarring. I wanted to share this with you as it might help prevent you from having to go through the same thing. I would normally never post photos like that, but I think it's important to see what 10 days on the OCM did and how I am still dealing with it 6 months later.

December 2016_2jpg.jpg

December 2016.jpg

January 2017.jpg

January 2017_2.jpg

March 2017.JPG

March 2017_2.JPG

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/15/2017 12:28 pm

I'm sorry about what happened!
Usually Jojoba oil is used for moisturizing and castor oil dries out the skin. The linoleic acid in them is low , which is why you probably broke out. Only oils high in linoleic acid are helpful in OCM.
I also don't think you can blame the OCM on your acne as the outbreak was almost 2 months later after only 10 days of use.

MemberMember
(@notcleanandnotclear)

Posted : 03/17/2017 4:41 pm

I am 100% sure that the OCM was the reason for the breakout. Maybe other oils wouldn't have had this effect, but the ones I used did. The reason the breakout lasted for months is that it got inflamed. My whole lifeI have never broken out like this and the doctors I saw confirmed that oils can do that to acne prone skin.

MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 03/17/2017 10:33 pm

Alright, sorry to hear. Different things really work for different people.

MemberMember
(@nathan_np)

Posted : 03/30/2017 7:38 am

Water fountain is correct, everyone is different and respond in their own way to treatments. You also have to look at the type of acne you have and your general skin type. The OCM is generally suited more for people with oily skin, as it usually signifies that they have disrupted the balance. Deeper forms of acne won't see much benefit of oil cleansing, but should still see something from oil nourishment. Considering the skin cycle is 4 weeks +/-, and even crude oil on the skin wont force something below the dermis, I would be highly skeptical that it was actually related 6 months on, there has to be more to it. Only sub dermal acne will last 6 months without reprieve (I mean the same lesions). And would probably see your dermo take a more aggressive stance toward treatment. But, if you think it was that, it's not for you. But it doesn't mean other people shouldn't try it.

MemberMember
(@natadk)

Posted : 03/30/2017 7:44 am

The trick to oil cleansing is that you have to get rid of oil residue after you are done. Oli will lay on the skin and block your sebum to come out of your pores, so you have to wash it off with a gentle gel or foam cleanser.
Good luck!

MemberMember
(@nathan_np)

Posted : 03/30/2017 8:03 am

18 minutes ago, natadk said:

The trick to oil cleansing is that you have to get rid of oil residue after you are done. Oli will lay on the skin and block your sebum to come out of your pores, so you have to wash it off with a gentle gel or foam cleanser.
Good luck!

Agreed!

zaichik liked
MemberMember
(@waterfountain)

Posted : 04/03/2017 2:24 pm

On Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 8:44 AM, natadk said:

Good luck!

Yeah, my skin after OCM is squeaky clean without any irritation from like an OTC regular acne face wash. I use 2 small square cloths for 2 cycles. Oil face, use 1 cloth on all sides, then oil again and use the other cloth again all sides. My skin just gets cleaned better this way. I follow with a neutral pH organic toner (rose water). If I use a stronger wash, like a glycolic based one, my skin would sting (because the OCM is super strong in reality), so I just do the mild toner.
 If I want to use my strong glycolic wash, which I do these days, I don't oil cleanse my skin. I've experimented a lot though so I know what works for me! :P 

zaichik liked
MemberMember
(@notcleanandnotclear)

Posted : 04/04/2017 3:42 pm

On 30.3.2017 at 2:03 PM, Nathan_NP said:
Agreed!
On 30.3.2017 at 1:44 PM, natadk said:

Good luck!

That might have been part of the problem, as my skin never felt like it was oil free after washing. Still not going to give it another shot :)