Notifications
Clear all

Please Help! What went wrong!?

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/12/2017 10:14 pm

Hi.
Im 31 and have sensitive oily skin.
So 13 days ago I started a new 'mostly natural products only' regimen. It has been going well and ive noticed my acne pigmentation has definitely reduced quite a bit. Ive also been eating more healthy fats as my diet was very very low in them. Im now drinking 3 Litres of water a day, everyday, with a total of 3 tablespoons of ACV. Together there has been a big improvement since its only been 13 days. Id still get some whiteheads coming and going but now it looks like a cyst is coming through!! Im really really upset by this and keep thinking 'what am I doing wrong!?'. Here is my regimen.

Morning -manuka honey 30+ (which I leave on for anywhere from 2 to 3 hours)
-apple cider vinegar to tone (I dont wash it off) (1 part water 1 part ACV)
-cetaphil suntivity 50+ sunscreen for oily skin (this is excellent as it also makes my skin look healthier)

Evening -manuka honey (same as above)
-apple cider vinegar (as above)
- benzol peroxide 2.5% (im thinking of taking this out as I dont believe that I need it any more with everything else im using....is this correct to do?)
-jojoba oil (this im unsure of this as my skin is so oily after, it doesnt seem to blend into my skin although it has only been 13 days....will it get better?)

So yeah....is this a purging phase...will I be purging from this? Am I over doing it? Im scared that if I use just manuka honey that the spots wont go away.

Please please help! Any advice will be so appreciated!

MemberMember
(@softball23)

Posted : 03/24/2017 12:20 pm

Well, what I do would be to go talk to the professionals. Schedule an appointment with your dermatologist to get the answer to what the heck is going on. But that's just a suggestion, you don't have to.

JR_Shedds liked
MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/24/2017 4:24 pm

I did go and see her. She gave me a new regimen to try and prescribed me Epiduo cream. Its only been 4 days so fingers crossed this works. Thanks for your answer.

JR_Shedds liked
MemberMember
(@nathan_np)

Posted : 03/27/2017 8:34 am

Hi Rachie,

I think what you're doing is great. Keep with it because it may very well be a purging period, which can last in excess of a month so don't be discouraged. I would personally be inclined to stop using the benzoyl peroxide.. It's definitely the odd man out in that equation. The dermatologist won't help you at all with what you're trying to do (going natural) and by the sounds of it Epiduo with just make your skin way too sensitive.. It's probably the worst thing (with exception of isotretinoin) for already sensitive skin. The dermo is doing what they can to get rid of the acne, but at what cost to your skin? Stick with the jojoba, if your skin is really oily after you may be using too much. You only need to use a very little amount and it should (mostly) rub in.

How do you remove the manuka honey and do you think that the ACV might be effecting the absorption of the jojoba? I've never tested it. You might not need two applications a day, but I understand why you are doing it and I can't think of an alternative right at the minute... hmmm.

Are you using anything to cleanse your face or just water?

As seems to be a common theme with my posts tonight, how much dairy and sugar do you have in your diet? Both have great potential to impact your skin. Definitely increase your omega 3's, but try to do it naturally rather than from supplements and you must get some from animal products as plant omega 3's are different and the body has to convert them (which it isn't greatly efficient at).

Good work!

Nathan.

Rachie39 liked
MemberMember
(@nathan_np)

Posted : 03/30/2017 4:47 am

Rachie,

How's your skin going?

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/30/2017 5:40 am

Hey Nathan, sorry for the delay and thank you for your reply.

I decided to stick with what the derm said, though to be honest im not so happy about it but im just DESPERATE for this acne to be gone. I already suffer depression (since I was 6 - yeah I know, seems way too young), so I need this delt with and while Im not liking the idea of all these chemicals, im trying it out and hoping down the track I can slowly ease off them and back to natural. Im going to ask my derm about the jojoba oil and see what she says. If she says flat out that its not good etc etc etc then yeah.... I wont listen coz I know its good. She has me on La Roche-Posay Effaclar wash and mosituriser. I asked her about the Manuka Honey and she said some stuff about how its not been tested for acne blah blah blah (can you tell I dont have 100% confidence in her?) But ive read and seen on youtube way too many success stories with it and I ended up using the one with an MGO 400+.

So my skin so far its ok I guess, was abit too irritated but its calmed down and im on day 10 of the derm regimen. Its still too oily and im wondering if this will settle. She has me on wash, moisturiser then sunscreen in the morning followed by wash, moisturiser then epiduo at night. I have 2 huge cysts on either side of my nose which is odd for me and small pimples around my ears. Also odd. My acne is hormonal mainly so its around my mouth and chin and jawline area. I just got a hormonal blood test today so will know the results tuesday.

Anyway to answer your earlier questions, id wash the Manuka honey off with just luke warm water. It comes off right away. Id heard it was also cleansing so Id use it as a wash too. Though Im not 100% that it is. I need to add that my intake isnt wonderful but this month its the best its ever been. I have anorexia (also since age 8, with bulimia once I hit teens to mid 20s, and now back to anorexia) so Im currently having zero dairy and the only real amount of sugar I have is from honey that I add on top of oats. I do have omega 3s but as a suppliments along with zinc, vitamin e and a. Im not sure about the ACV and the jojoba oil connection. I dont know enough about it to know if there is a link, but would be interested to know. Ohh and im also having 3L of water a day.

I noticed too that your in Brisbane, so am I. Im off to bed but will check in tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@nathan_np)

Posted : 03/30/2017 7:19 am

Have you spoken with your dermatologist regarding spironolactone? It might be something to look into. Then you can have a red hot go at ditching the chemicals without fear of acne reprisal. Don't go overboard on the water consumption. Based on what you've told me I would assume that you're not a big person. 3L is probably a bit excessive, don't feel that you have to consume that much. I'm assuming you are seeing someone regarding the anorexia?

Jojoba oil is hit and miss with some people. But while oils are great for your skin, their shortfall is nodular/cystic acne. But if that's your main acne of concern it's interesting that she put you on epiduo as opposed to just an antibiotic or oral isotretinoin. People often experience flareups whilst commencing epiduo or differin (well any retinoid really). Did you say that you've been using the epiduo for 10 days, whilst also trying to go natural?

I think your routine was probably heavily reliant on the manuka honey. Whilst it's great, it's not a cure. Have you tried glycolic based products before? Seeing that you're in Brisbane, Target actually as a couple of brands that you might like to try. First skin clarity, it's a glycolic and salicylic acid based system, you can get a started pack for a relatively cheap $20. They also have another brand, I think nip + fab or something like that. More expensive, but not much. They are slightly heavier concentrations of glycolic acid but 2-4% from memory, but it's still relatively weak so you can use it more often without overdoing it. Their cleanser also has olive oil in it, so it can kick start you into oil cleansing if you like. Remember to leave the cysts alone, I'm sure you know, buy I have had too many experiences of trying to squeeze pimples in the past that just weren't ready to come out. It only makes it so much worse long term and if I could only give my younger self one piece of advice, it would be to back away from the mirror.

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 04/01/2017 2:27 am

Spironolactone, thats to get rid of fluid retention. Because of my anorexia there is no way any dr would ever give that to me. Ive already been hospitalized way too often for electrolyte/dehydration levels being dangerously low. I was just in hospital 5 weeks ago in medical for a month because of that. How does it help with acne though? Ohh and yeah, I have a gp I see twice a week, every week (have for 7 years now), and a psychologist who I also see twice a week.

3L does sound like alot but for me personally, its what my body needs and its what makes my bloods, bp, pulse etc be pretty good. Plus whenever I have less, thats when my acne is at its worst. Its hard, but acne is harder as im sure you understand.

Yeah ive been on Epiduo now for 12 days but I ditched the natural when my derm gave me this and a wash product. My acne is mostly cysts and pustules plus hyperpigmentation. I really do love the idea of jojoba oil so when acne is cleared up and stable im going to ask my derm if that is an option for me. I also love the idea of avocado oil as a moisturiser.

She didnt put me on an antibiotic because ive been on, or I was on doxy for 12 years and stopped it a month ago. The pill, well coz of my ptsd thats not an option.

Thank you for the other products you mentioned but im going to stick to the la roche posay effaclar. Its actually really good. And I definitely agree with the mirror. Thats prob my biggest hurdle!