Notifications
Clear all

What to use on closed comedones?

MemberMember
(@sonesful)

Posted : 03/09/2017 12:39 am

I currently have Paula's Choice BHA 2%, Paula's Choice AHA 5% and a Benzoyl Peroxide Gel 5%. The comedones are mainly on my cheeks where one has inflamed and become a nasty pimple. What product or combination of products should I use to get rid of the comedones asap? I'm not really after the long term because I'm pretty sure they're only there because that's the side of my face I always sleep on hence why they are only on one cheek (have been changing pillowcases every 3 days as a result). Currently have the BP sitting on my face as a spot treatment for the comdones and the one nasty pimple. It stings a little bit but it's only my first day using it.

Mainly I'm just after assurance that I'm on the right track here to get rid of them because they're really starting to bother me and all I really need is assurance it will get better.

MemberMember
(@sonesful)

Posted : 03/09/2017 5:37 am

HOLY CRAP GUYS!!! Um, I think I've found the right treatment because the BP has somehow managed to pretty much flatten my comedones after 1 day wtffff. Like all I see now are these red patches where they used to be so I don't know what to say except:

Comodomes? BP 5%. Use it.

Now that I think of it maybe they werent comedomes since I keep hearing they're DIFFICULT to get rid of but the small colorless bumps on my face are FINALLY gone. Even when I shine light on my face at that awful angle where you see ALL of them they're just not there anymore :D.

So happy.

MemberMember
(@a-nonexistent)

Posted : 03/09/2017 6:25 am

did u everpicked thoseclosed comedones? and what comes out if u ever picked ? justtomakesurewhetheritsclosedcomedonesornot!

MemberMember
(@sonesful)

Posted : 03/09/2017 7:01 am

One I picked at turned into that nasty pimple and another one was just dry skin while another had a tinyyyy bit of white stuff in it. Maybe they weren't ALL closed comedomes?

MemberMember
(@a-nonexistent)

Posted : 03/09/2017 7:12 am

ya could be, I have same problem if I pick.so ugotridof thosetinywhitestuffsbybp 5%?

MemberMember
(@sonesful)

Posted : 03/09/2017 8:26 am

I would say so yes :D last I looked they were just red patches but they were smooooth. and yes it was a bp 5% gel/cream thing, it was white. 

Also that stuff is strooong. It stung a bit but I guess because it was so strong it really got down into those bumps. 

MemberMember
(@a-nonexistent)

Posted : 03/09/2017 11:22 am

willtrythis one then.tnxforthepostand keepusupdatedabouturprogress .btwdid ugetanyhelpwithbha/aha?

MemberMember
(@getridofthis007)

Posted : 03/09/2017 9:05 pm

tretinoin

MemberMember
(@sonesful)

Posted : 03/11/2017 9:26 am

On 3/10/2017 at 3:22 AM, a nonexistent said:

willtrythis one then.tnxforthepostand keepusupdatedabouturprogress .btwdid ugetanyhelpwithbha/aha?

So as of today (2 days after) I've stopped using the BP 5% because the comedones are completely gone. There are these dry scabs where the spots used to be which I plan on using AHA on to help them fade faster. Before using the BP I did use the BHA for a week beforehand but I don't think it did much. And I used the AHA on the day before I started the BP which also didn't do much, but I'm also very impatient which is why I kept swapping medications lol.

MemberMember
(@a-nonexistent)

Posted : 03/12/2017 1:31 am

gladtoknowthatur comedonesaregone.andheremyfaceisfilledfullof them.btwgoodluckanddon'tbeimpatientthough,I'mregrettingfor usedtobeimpatient.

MemberMember
(@sonesful)

Posted : 03/13/2017 7:48 pm

So 1 week after I used the BP medication and the redness is gone and my face has returned to being smooth to the touch and flat :) I no longer put anything on my face including the AHA and BP and have returned to normal skin care routine of simply exfoliating with a warming cleanser with beads followed up with a water based cleanser every morning and night. There are still marks where the comedones used to be but they just look like scabs which should fade away with time.

I know people like to say that comedones take time to get rid of blah blah blah but honestly I feel like an aggressive approach is the most effecting approach when dealing with these. A few days discomfort for almost overnight clear skin is better than weeks or months of them MAYBE going away gradually IMHO.

MemberMember
(@jessieluv20)

Posted : 11/19/2017 1:01 pm

I had this exact problem for years!! And I finally solved what to do! I always said if I figure out the solution i will come back to share it with others! I had this problem for probably about 8-10 years since I was younger, and the only way I could get rid of it was by squeezing them only I hated it cuz it would leave scars and red marks behind, I tried everything from OTC to prescription strength to diet to chemical peels etc. So, this summer I finally figured out the cure. I went and got a facial with EXTRACTIONS, and it was from the local spa, not a fancy dermatologist, and doing it yourself wont work, I promise go to a professionalAND heres the important part to keep them from coming back, I stopped using the face moisturizer that had oilin them, so stop using those anything withoiland make sure you get one that says on it, OIL FREE. And I suggest a better cleanser, the cetaphil is not the best for taking off makeup, you can tell because if you tone afterwards it should have zero makeup residue on the cotton pad.The extractions get rid of them and the oil free moisturizer keeps them away. I promise you, try this, the extraction facial may be a little pricey, I paid 50 dollars, however it was worth it. And I actually went through it a second time, bout 2 months later because I ran out of the oil free moisturizer I had and started my old one, and BAM the closed comedones came back after using that moisturizer for only 1 week. Fortunately I didnt get that many so she didnt have to do much. So its been about 5 months now and my face is still bump free! My makeup looks flawless and if I dont want to, I dont have to worry about putting on makeup everyday to cover up my hideous acne.

Now my Day/Night routine is:
Dermatologica Clean Start Wash Off Cleanser

Witch Hazel for toner

Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer with SPF 15

Exfoliate 3x a week with either Dermatologica Clean Start Ready, Set, Scrub or manual exfoliation with a rotating brush (it does not have to be a fancy Clarisonic, any will do)

P.S. Results were instant! Besides the face that my face was a little red due to the extractions. But that went away in a couple days.